Old 01-01-2018, 09:32 PM   #4861
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Here is a nice plastic alternative to Scout for almost $250K less and made in Canada too:

2003 Magna Marine Nova Scotia 47 Pilot House Power Boat For Sale
Seen it from the outside, no comment.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:11 AM   #4862
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Itís perhaps a dangerous boat. Because itís one of these boats I look at and say ďI can fix that!Ē
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:50 AM   #4863
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Here is another nice Canadian boat. Could easily load up the top with solar panels and live on the hook.

2008 Samson TRAWLER Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Attached Thumbnails
Samson.jpg  
Old 01-02-2018, 12:23 PM   #4864
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Here is another nice Canadian boat. Could easily load up the top with solar panels and live on the hook.

2008 Samson TRAWLER Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Nice Boat. Am I correct - no gen set?? Or, did I miss it's listing?
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:10 PM   #4865
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Odd things about Scout...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
One strange thing about this boat (for some people) is the lack of headroom. I emailed the broker a couple of years agoó the headroom is only 6í throughout most of the boat.

I looked for the old email and couldnít find it, but Iím pretty sure Iím not misremembering.
I saw one photo where it looked like the heads were regular household toilets. That and the big back yard swim platform were enough to turn me off.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:40 AM   #4866
Guru

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0453.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	71911

Saw this one at Budds bay in Olympia today. Pretty wooden ketch on what looks like a trawler hull. Iíve been up here since before Christmas to stay a month or so visiting my daughter and grandkids.

Sure rains a lot up here.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:12 AM   #4867
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Beautiful!
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:31 AM   #4868
Guru

City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy View Post
Attachment 71911

Saw this one at Budds bay in Olympia today. Pretty wooden ketch on what looks like a trawler hull. Iíve been up here since before Christmas to stay a month or so visiting my daughter and grandkids.

Looks like one of Devlin's designs....
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:11 AM   #4869
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Find a patch of old growth rain forest, preferably with a stream during salmon season, and take a walk during a heavy rain where everything is dripping, the stream is running fast but clean, and mist is rolling through the trees...then it’ll all make sense.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:41 AM   #4870
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Re the colors youíre probably just conservative. But youíre right the fabrics are awfull. Iíd change them before showing the boat. Blue on the hull would be nice.
But I canít belive you compared the Nordhavn 46 to this red thing. Not even from the same planet. Not slamíin you as your posts are usually knowledgeable and interesting. You must see something I donít. Or I see something you donít .... like that awfull hull. Forget the color what were you actually seeing here?
Actually the comparison to the Nordy's were for completely different thoughts,

There is a resemblance to the N40 in the overall above the waterline look, large frontal percentage, high bow.

Looking at the comparison to the N46, there are few boats that really fit into this category.. KK42 is really the only competition. But as most use N46's as coastal cruisers this boat, if it is as fuel miserly as advertised fits into this group. It also appears to be laid out pretty well, appears to have nice joinery, has long legs, and appears to have quite the living cube for a 40' "trawler type".
I would investigate this boat if I was in the market for a KK42 for sure.. It and some of the Diesel Ducks are only the real competition for the small Nordhavn's.

As I have never seen a nova Scotia in person I cannot attest to it quality.

I do still stand by my thoughts on the tacky colors/patterns/mural on the boat... but of course that is just an opinion.

Hollywood
Attached Thumbnails
red boat 2.jpg   red boat.jpg  
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:46 AM   #4871
Guru

Hi Murray, I was born and raised in 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Scotland. Nothing new for me tramping around the hills in the rain. I enjoy it tremendously. But I do miss the hefty doses of vitamin D that I get in the US south east.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:53 AM   #4872
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Quote:
Attachment 71911

Saw this one at Budds bay in Olympia today. Pretty wooden ketch on what looks like a trawler hull. I’ve been up here since before Christmas to stay a month or so visiting my daughter and grandkids.

As a trawler, I'd be interested. Masts are to tall for the areas I would take it. Then again, sails up and head over to Europe for a grand tour.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:29 PM   #4873

City: Tauranga
Vessel Name: Ahi
Vessel Model: Roger Hill Powercat
Those sails are more for steadying rather than propulsion. With a high clew on the jib so you can see from the pilothouse you have very little effective area. On my Dad's boat we could sail at about three knots with a gale aft of the beam. We did have a boom and a main but decided that the open array radar was more useful. Also you make a lot of leeway with a trawler hull.
darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:41 PM   #4874
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Attachment 71911

Love the colors on this boat, as well the boat. A very nice boat for the PNW.

The PNW is not burning up, flooding, have tornadoes, hurricanes, freezing,rioting. Life has its moments, but the PNW is not sharing them at the moment.
A bit wet? Try the 150 plus inches annual average here in Ketchikan.
To some that is really wet. To those of us who choose to reside her in the PNW with the greatest of pleasure would take issue with the conclusion drawn. Just saying
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:25 PM   #4875
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Hollywood have you noticed how little that big red thing draws. Can’t weigh very much and w all that house the CG can’t be very low.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:02 PM   #4876
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Hollywood have you noticed how little that big red thing draws. Canít weigh very much and w all that house the CG canít be very low.
If the color is the only thing that stops a sale, paint it any color you want, AFTER you buy it.

Doesn't look like is draws much water. I would have thought it would draw about 4 or 5 feet.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:39 PM   #4877

City: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
Actually the comparison to the Nordy's were for completely different thoughts,

There is a resemblance to the N40 in the overall above the waterline look, large frontal percentage, high bow.

Looking at the comparison to the N46, there are few boats that really fit into this category.. KK42 is really the only competition. But as most use N46's as coastal cruisers this boat, if it is as fuel miserly as advertised fits into this group. It also appears to be laid out pretty well, appears to have nice joinery, has long legs, and appears to have quite the living cube for a 40' "trawler type".
I would investigate this boat if I was in the market for a KK42 for sure.. It and some of the Diesel Ducks are only the real competition for the small Nordhavn's.

As I have never seen a nova Scotia in person I cannot attest to it quality.

I do still stand by my thoughts on the tacky colors/patterns/mural on the boat... but of course that is just an opinion.

Hollywood
I think itís a nice looking boat, there are a few others floating around on Yachtworld...from the photos the fit and finish look very nice, additionally, Nova Scotia has a long and respectable boat building heritage..if Iím not mistaken that red one has some hull core sample thickness on display, looks substantial..Happy New Year everyone..
Genecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:32 PM   #4878
Al
Guru

Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Find a patch of old growth rain forest, preferably with a stream during salmon season, and take a walk during a heavy rain where everything is dripping, the stream is running fast but clean, and mist is rolling through the trees...then itíll all make sense.
Amen Brother, Amen!!! In spades!!
Old 01-08-2018, 08:44 PM   #4879
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post

Love the colors on this boat, as well the boat. A very nice boat for the PNW.

The PNW is not burning up, flooding, have tornadoes, hurricanes, freezing,rioting. Life has its moments, but the PNW is not sharing them at the moment.

A bit wet? Try the 150 plus inches annual average here in Ketchikan.

To some that is really wet. To those of us who choose to reside her in the PNW with the greatest of pleasure would take issue with the conclusion drawn. Just saying

Not, sure I drew any conclusion other than it has rained a lot while Iíve been here. [emoji943] [emoji41]. I let the readers make up there own conclusions on whether thatís a good thing.

And I found the boat pictured interesting.

I have visited Ketchikan and will likely do so again. I brought my plane up to Alaska in the summer of 2012 and had a blast touring around the state. I was looking at routes today to spend a boating season there. We shall see.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:46 PM   #4880
Al
Guru

Quote:
Not, sure I drew any conclusion other than it has rained a lot while Iíve been here. [emoji943] [emoji41]. I let the readers make up there own conclusions on whether thatís a good thing.

And I found the boat pictured interesting.

I have visited Ketchikan and will likely do so again. I brought my plane up to Alaska in the summer of 2012 and had a blast touring around the state. I was looking at routes today to spend a boating season there. We shall see.
And you shall be welcome!!