Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-01-2018, 09:32 PM   #4861
Guru
 
Sailor of Fortune's Avatar
 
City: St Augustine,Fl
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Here is a nice plastic alternative to Scout for almost $250K less and made in Canada too:

2003 Magna Marine Nova Scotia 47 Pilot House Power Boat For Sale
Seen it from the outside, no comment.
__________________
Jack ...Chicken of the sea! Been offshore 3 miles once
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:11 AM   #4862
Guru
 
City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 754
Itís perhaps a dangerous boat. Because itís one of these boats I look at and say ďI can fix that!Ē
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:50 AM   #4863
Guru
 
City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,300
Here is another nice Canadian boat. Could easily load up the top with solar panels and live on the hook.

2008 Samson TRAWLER Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Attached Thumbnails
Samson.jpg  
__________________
Buffalo Bluff Light 28
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:23 PM   #4864
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Here is another nice Canadian boat. Could easily load up the top with solar panels and live on the hook.

2008 Samson TRAWLER Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Nice Boat. Am I correct - no gen set?? Or, did I miss it's listing?
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:10 PM   #4865
Guru
 
City: Melbourne, FL
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,730
Odd things about Scout...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
One strange thing about this boat (for some people) is the lack of headroom. I emailed the broker a couple of years agoó the headroom is only 6í throughout most of the boat.

I looked for the old email and couldnít find it, but Iím pretty sure Iím not misremembering.
I saw one photo where it looked like the heads were regular household toilets. That and the big back yard swim platform were enough to turn me off.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:40 AM   #4866
Guru
 
City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 754
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0453.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	71911

Saw this one at Budds bay in Olympia today. Pretty wooden ketch on what looks like a trawler hull. Iíve been up here since before Christmas to stay a month or so visiting my daughter and grandkids.

Sure rains a lot up here.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:12 AM   #4867
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5,290
Beautiful!
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:31 AM   #4868
Guru
 
boathealer's Avatar
 
City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy View Post
Attachment 71911

Saw this one at Budds bay in Olympia today. Pretty wooden ketch on what looks like a trawler hull. Iíve been up here since before Christmas to stay a month or so visiting my daughter and grandkids.

Sure rains a lot up here.
Looks like one of Devlin's designs....
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:11 AM   #4869
Guru
 
MurrayM's Avatar
 
City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy View Post
Sure rains a lot up here.
Find a patch of old growth rain forest, preferably with a stream during salmon season, and take a walk during a heavy rain where everything is dripping, the stream is running fast but clean, and mist is rolling through the trees...then it’ll all make sense.
__________________
"The most interesting path between two points is not a straight line" MurrayM
MurrayM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:41 AM   #4870
Guru
 
hollywood8118's Avatar
 
City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Re the colors youíre probably just conservative. But youíre right the fabrics are awfull. Iíd change them before showing the boat. Blue on the hull would be nice.
But I canít belive you compared the Nordhavn 46 to this red thing. Not even from the same planet. Not slamíin you as your posts are usually knowledgeable and interesting. You must see something I donít. Or I see something you donít .... like that awfull hull. Forget the color what were you actually seeing here?
Actually the comparison to the Nordy's were for completely different thoughts,

There is a resemblance to the N40 in the overall above the waterline look, large frontal percentage, high bow.

Looking at the comparison to the N46, there are few boats that really fit into this category.. KK42 is really the only competition. But as most use N46's as coastal cruisers this boat, if it is as fuel miserly as advertised fits into this group. It also appears to be laid out pretty well, appears to have nice joinery, has long legs, and appears to have quite the living cube for a 40' "trawler type".
I would investigate this boat if I was in the market for a KK42 for sure.. It and some of the Diesel Ducks are only the real competition for the small Nordhavn's.

As I have never seen a nova Scotia in person I cannot attest to it quality.

I do still stand by my thoughts on the tacky colors/patterns/mural on the boat... but of course that is just an opinion.

Hollywood
Attached Thumbnails
red boat 2.jpg   red boat.jpg  
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:46 AM   #4871
Guru
 
City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 754
Hi Murray, I was born and raised in 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Scotland. Nothing new for me tramping around the hills in the rain. I enjoy it tremendously. But I do miss the hefty doses of vitamin D that I get in the US south east.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:53 AM   #4872
Guru
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy View Post
Attachment 71911

Saw this one at Budds bay in Olympia today. Pretty wooden ketch on what looks like a trawler hull. I’ve been up here since before Christmas to stay a month or so visiting my daughter and grandkids.

Sure rains a lot up here.
As a trawler, I'd be interested. Masts are to tall for the areas I would take it. Then again, sails up and head over to Europe for a grand tour.
__________________
This is my signature line. There are many like it but this one is mine.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:29 PM   #4873
Senior Member
 
darkside's Avatar
 
City: Tauranga
Vessel Name: Ahi
Vessel Model: Roger Hill Powercat
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 400
Those sails are more for steadying rather than propulsion. With a high clew on the jib so you can see from the pilothouse you have very little effective area. On my Dad's boat we could sail at about three knots with a gale aft of the beam. We did have a boom and a main but decided that the open array radar was more useful. Also you make a lot of leeway with a trawler hull.
darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:41 PM   #4874
Al
Guru
 
Al's Avatar
 
City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy View Post
Attachment 71911



Sure rains a lot up here.


Love the colors on this boat, as well the boat. A very nice boat for the PNW.

The PNW is not burning up, flooding, have tornadoes, hurricanes, freezing,rioting. Life has its moments, but the PNW is not sharing them at the moment.
A bit wet? Try the 150 plus inches annual average here in Ketchikan.
To some that is really wet. To those of us who choose to reside her in the PNW with the greatest of pleasure would take issue with the conclusion drawn. Just saying
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:25 PM   #4875
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 18,736
Hollywood have you noticed how little that big red thing draws. Can’t weigh very much and w all that house the CG can’t be very low.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:02 PM   #4876
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 10,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Hollywood have you noticed how little that big red thing draws. Canít weigh very much and w all that house the CG canít be very low.
If the color is the only thing that stops a sale, paint it any color you want, AFTER you buy it.

Doesn't look like is draws much water. I would have thought it would draw about 4 or 5 feet.
__________________
Two days out the hospital after a week in the hospital because of a significant heart attack.
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:39 PM   #4877
Senior Member
 
City: New York
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
Actually the comparison to the Nordy's were for completely different thoughts,

There is a resemblance to the N40 in the overall above the waterline look, large frontal percentage, high bow.

Looking at the comparison to the N46, there are few boats that really fit into this category.. KK42 is really the only competition. But as most use N46's as coastal cruisers this boat, if it is as fuel miserly as advertised fits into this group. It also appears to be laid out pretty well, appears to have nice joinery, has long legs, and appears to have quite the living cube for a 40' "trawler type".
I would investigate this boat if I was in the market for a KK42 for sure.. It and some of the Diesel Ducks are only the real competition for the small Nordhavn's.

As I have never seen a nova Scotia in person I cannot attest to it quality.




I do still stand by my thoughts on the tacky colors/patterns/mural on the boat... but of course that is just an opinion.

Hollywood
I think itís a nice looking boat, there are a few others floating around on Yachtworld...from the photos the fit and finish look very nice, additionally, Nova Scotia has a long and respectable boat building heritage..if Iím not mistaken that red one has some hull core sample thickness on display, looks substantial..Happy New Year everyone..
Genecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:32 PM   #4878
Al
Guru
 
Al's Avatar
 
City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Find a patch of old growth rain forest, preferably with a stream during salmon season, and take a walk during a heavy rain where everything is dripping, the stream is running fast but clean, and mist is rolling through the trees...then itíll all make sense.
Amen Brother, Amen!!! In spades!!
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:44 PM   #4879
Guru
 
City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post




Love the colors on this boat, as well the boat. A very nice boat for the PNW.



The PNW is not burning up, flooding, have tornadoes, hurricanes, freezing,rioting. Life has its moments, but the PNW is not sharing them at the moment.

A bit wet? Try the 150 plus inches annual average here in Ketchikan.

To some that is really wet. To those of us who choose to reside her in the PNW with the greatest of pleasure would take issue with the conclusion drawn. Just saying


Not, sure I drew any conclusion other than it has rained a lot while Iíve been here. [emoji943] [emoji41]. I let the readers make up there own conclusions on whether thatís a good thing.

And I found the boat pictured interesting.

I have visited Ketchikan and will likely do so again. I brought my plane up to Alaska in the summer of 2012 and had a blast touring around the state. I was looking at routes today to spend a boating season there. We shall see.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:46 PM   #4880
Al
Guru
 
Al's Avatar
 
City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy View Post
Not, sure I drew any conclusion other than it has rained a lot while Iíve been here. [emoji943] [emoji41]. I let the readers make up there own conclusions on whether thatís a good thing.

And I found the boat pictured interesting.

I have visited Ketchikan and will likely do so again. I brought my plane up to Alaska in the summer of 2012 and had a blast touring around the state. I was looking at routes today to spend a boating season there. We shall see.
And you shall be welcome!!
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012