Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
60 gallons of fresh water and an airhead composting toilet. Nautical camping at its finest. :nonono:

Ted

Read about these quite a bit, but saw one in person for the first time this weekend. Impressive.

Attachments

• 20180318_132225.jpg
    20180318_132225.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 147
How crazy is it to see an amazing boat in person in the afternoon only to see the same boat in Capt. Beebe’s book later the same day!

IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0787.jpg

Ursa Major anchored in Andrews Bay on Lake Washington.

Read about these quite a bit, but saw one in person for the first time this weekend. Impressive.

Two or three years ago we had three of these Dashews cruising the area around Desolation Sound and the Broughtons. Impressive vessels, and seem to be easily handled at the dock.
But boy are they hard to see on the water in anything but brilliant sunshine.

Great boats from what I've read. Any idea what the rectangular thing is across the front of the cabin roof?

Almost looks like kind of a "sluice box" effort to limit roll? A bit unusual on these from what I've been reading.

It’s like a houseboat with a slippery hull.
IMG_2761.jpg

Looks like fun boat for comfort. Seems it would be hard to navigate in close quarters due to where I believe captain's station must be.

Right inside from the life ring. Add in a fixed Flir stern camera and a movable Flir camera on the top and forward on the forward house, combined with the bow and stern thrusters.... Oh yea baby.

Great boats from what I've read. Any idea what the rectangular thing is across the front of the cabin roof?

Almost looks like kind of a "sluice box" effort to limit roll? A bit unusual on these from what I've been reading.

Not sure either. I could only see her from the dock, and was not able to get on the dock for a closer look.

I sent a friend a photo, and he said it looked “official”. They sure do.

Right inside from the life ring. Add in a fixed Flir stern camera and a movable Flir camera on the top and forward on the forward house, combined with the bow and stern thrusters.... Oh yea baby.

I pilot from flybridge... basically seeing everything 360 degrees in real-time, by the second and by the inch! Hear everything too!!

Last edited:
Nice to see the old skool term used....

As you well know PB - Tolly's were not made to just drive... but rather they are to enjoyably Pilot! LOL

Same of course for most other boats.

Will admit... I do basically drive our fast little tow behind runabout. Hard to actually call it piloting a 15' o/b boat that can do up to 39.6 nmph at WOT and gentle cruises wife and I at 25 nmpg while visiting locations and/or gunk holing!

:speed boat::dance:

Not a single picture of her hull below the WL.

Just beds, steering wheels and closets.

How crazy is it to see an amazing boat in person in the afternoon only to see the same boat in Capt. Beebe’s book later the same day!

View attachment 74361

View attachment 74362

Ursa Major anchored in Andrews Bay on Lake Washington.

We took a couple of trips from Alaska to Seatle on the Ursa Major about 10 years back. It is very good to see her in such good condition.

On top of the wheel house is a offshore life raft in a round canister.

I know it’s not a trawler and probably not that interesting but the fact that it’s a nice 40 ft home built steel hull with a single 120 hp leman and rudder makes it interesting to me. It's in the slip next to me. This a great river boat with the river miles to prove it. Two brothers in Memphis built this one and another one that’s 50 ft. It has a single 671 Detroit and also has a rudder. It’s also on our dock not far from me.
I might be slipping y’all.

Attachments

• 3DA2B5B1-FF06-41F1-AEF7-091664F46ABC.jpg
    3DA2B5B1-FF06-41F1-AEF7-091664F46ABC.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
From the first time I saw a photo of a panga, I was impressed. Having watched them in real life on a recent holiday in waves, swell, surf, and beaching, I'm even more impressed!

Panga's in Boca de Tomatlan, Mexico;

Attachments

• Panga's Boca de Tomatlan, Mexico.jpg
    Panga's Boca de Tomatlan, Mexico.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 115
From the first time I saw a photo of a panga, I was impressed. Having watched them in real life on a recent holiday in waves, swell, surf, and beaching, I'm even more impressed!

Panga's in Boca de Tomatlan, Mexico;

The Tolman Skiff of Mexico, or is it the other way around?

I also have a soft spot for the Pangas. The Panga commercial fisherman in Mexico really push it in their travels far offshore, but they need to feed their family and traveling farther out over the past few decades has become their reality. I will never forget seeing one far offshore in very heavy weather while we were getting pounded in a 700 footer. Brave men.

The Tolman Skiff of Mexico, or is it the other way around?

Google is our friend...

Panga first designed in 1969;

https://www.boatingmag.com/boats/history-panga#page-5

Ren Tolman first moved to Alaska in 1971 and after refining his design/technique started building the Tolman Skiff in 1986;
I have built over sixty since 1986 for sport and commercial use, and many others have been built by amateurs and professionals in the US, Canada, New Zealand, Europe, and elsewhere. I retired from building skiffs commercially in 2000...

Tolman Skiffs: Boat Plans in Book Form

Last edited:
Local Puerto Vallarta dude (lower right corner) finds these boats very uninteresting...

Attachments

• Crocodile, Puerto Vallarta.jpg
    Crocodile, Puerto Vallarta.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 124
Back
Top Bottom