Ideas for upper helm control panel cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
M/V Intrigue
Vessel Make
1985 Tung Hwa Senator
I redid the lower helm and now its time to do the upper helm panel. All new gauges, USB chargers etc. Nothing too special. The original one still worked amazingly but its in rough rough shape. Can hardly read the tach face because its so sun faded. I did find an upper helm sunbrella fabric cover and treated that with 303. But the new one will be larger size.

I want to make either a box style cover or a clear plexiglass cover that is water proof and then add a sunbrella cover over everything. Or something like that.

How are your upper helm gauge panels protected? If you could add one or make one how would you do it?

Thanks in advance.:)

Mine were just mounted into a plate screwed to the flat surface in front of the wheel.

I kept the plate, new gauges and used 1"X2" PVC trim to form a 3 sided upside down "U" and screwed a piece of thin plexi over the top.

I needed to leave the bottom open to reach start/stop/horn buttons.

Simple...effective....cost maybe $10 and took an hour. Later a whole "dash" cover was made to cover everything plus the bridge plexi venturi.

If you search for post Acrylic Station Cover you will see what I had fabricated to replace an original cover. It had to be vac molded to get the corners right so it wasn't cheap but the result was perfect.

I probably have the same type of gauge indent. I just cut a piece of thin teak and put a stainless drawer handle on it. I usually leave it so that it angles out from the indent and keeps rain out. It just wiggles out. My wife thought that it was removed with brute strength and split the wood. I repaired it, but never got around to varnishing it. The same thing could be done with plexiglass.

Attachments

• 20220803_145158 (2).jpg
    20220803_145158 (2).jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 20220803_145149 (2).jpg
    20220803_145149 (2).jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 36
Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated. Marco..there are various ways our boats are different. I dont have the indent, everything is right on the flat surface on top. Your solution is great! Simple and easy.

A picture of the area would probably help.

The Acrylic Station Cover link, mentioned above: https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s32/acrylic-station-cover-58905.html

I'm not sure how a 'waterproof' box would work as condensation could be a problem, with moisture getting caught in-between. Most covers I've seen have either had the lowest side open or hinged to allow access to buttons, keys or switches.

On a previous boat I made an instrument cover out of Starboard sides and plexiglass front. I had it hinge up for access to clean the gauges. It wasn’t completely waterproof but it stopped most of the water from getting to the gauges.

On a previous boat I made an instrument cover out of Starboard sides and plexiglass front. I had it hinge up for access to clean the gauges. It wasn’t completely waterproof but it stopped most of the water from getting to the gauges.

I love working with Starboard. I think this is what I will probably do. Along with a Sunbrella cover.

Of course it doesn't need to be waterproof or condensation proof. Just needs to keep the instruments from getting a full blast of direct Florida rain and continuous sunshine.

Thanks WK for finding that post.
I tried unsuccessfully to oven mold an acrylic sheet -couldn't get the corners right without vacuum.
Like the idea of cutting the edge framing strips from starboard and using a flat panel for the top. Would have tried that if I had access to a good table saw at the time.

Just to update this thread on the outcome. Amazon and the internet is a wonderul thing. I found a small latching hatch door that would fit the upper helm. After thinking about a configuration and measuring some things I have an easy install. The helm panel is made from some leftover 3/8 Starboard. It will go under the helm face. That face is actually 1 inch thick fiberglass and wood sandwich. The flange on the hatch is also 1 inch. I cut the fiberglass helm to match the new hatch so it drops in. So I will sandwich everything together and it will get screwed and glued and should leave no gaps. It will be able to be closed and latched and the top cover is gasketed.

Old helm panel
20220717_184251.jpg

New Helm panel

upper_helm_1.jpg

Closed
upper_helm_2.jpg

Last edited:
Just to update this thread on the outcome. Amazon and the internet is a wonderul thing. I found a small latching hatch door that would fit the upper helm. After thinking about a configuration and measuring some things I have an easy install. The helm panel is made from some leftover 3/8 Starboard. It will go under the help face. That face is actually 1 inch thick fiberglass and wood sandwich. The flange on the hatch is also 1 inch. I cut the fiberglass helm to match the new hatch so it drops in. So I will sandwich everything together and it will get screwed and glued and should leave no gaps. It will be able to be closed and latched and the top cover is gasketed.

Old helm panel

20220717_184251.jpg

New Helm panel

upper_helm_1.jpg

Closed

upper_helm_2.jpg
Sharp setup. Link?

Wired it last night and installed on the boat today. Everything worked first try and I didn't even melt any wires! :D

20220904_165308.jpg

20220904_165317.jpg

20220904_165312.jpg

Very good upgrade, nicely executed!

A small tab of exterior grade Velcro to hold the lid in the open position might help when it's windy.

Last edited:
Very good upgrade, nicely executed!

A small tab of exterior grade Velcro to hold the lid in the open position might help when it's windy.

Yes. The hinge is stiff but it wont hold the lid open underway. Ill have to do something with that. Velcro would be an easy option. :thumb:

And to finalize this thread I typically document these modifications in case anyone can use some ideas. Any critiques are welcome for items or ideas I may have missed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom