Old 10-14-2017, 09:10 PM   #81
Veteran Member

City: Homestead
In the past when I had a 42 foot sail boat I had a great time in the ICW on the east coast. I also had a great time offshore. It really has a lot to do with the boat and the crew and the weather. I really like both but for very different reasons.

Both have very different requirements. If a lot of traffic, shallow water, dealing with bridges bug you go off shore. If the long legs, uncertain weather, uncomfortable sea conditions bug you, take the ditch!!

Planobilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:46 AM   #82
Guru

There are some sections of the ICW where the water is skinny and there are places where the route is more circuitous. We stayed in the ditch when the weather offshore, or the route made sense. Other places, we went offshore. But taking a bee line offshore at 7kt, as opposed to ducking in and out of adjacent inlets, usually meant making overnight runs. My recollection is we never saw any part of Georgia!!

Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:16 AM   #83
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjs View Post
There are some sections of the ICW where the water is skinny and there are places where the route is more circuitous. We stayed in the ditch when the weather offshore, or the route made sense. Other places, we went offshore. But taking a bee line offshore at 7kt, as opposed to ducking in and out of adjacent inlets, usually meant making overnight runs. My recollection is we never saw any part of Georgia!!
You missed some of the prettiest parts of the eastern seaboard, with many beautiful wilderness anchorages and place both civilized and wild to explore.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:22 AM   #84
Guru

But we got to the Bahamas much quicker!!!
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:30 AM   #85
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
If I just wanted to see the ocean, I could just go 15 off and drop the hook. I go inside for all of it. Good, bad, and ugly.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in New Jersey.
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:02 AM   #86
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
If I just wanted to see the ocean, I could just go 15 off and drop the hook. I go inside for all of it. Good, bad, and ugly.
We want to explore various places but not take forever getting to them.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:40 AM   #87
FF
Guru

"We want to explore various places but not take forever getting to them."

AS always the different styles,

The Voyage , or the Visit?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:47 AM   #88
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"We want to explore various places but not take forever getting to them."

AS always the different styles,

The Voyage , or the Visit?
Both. You can have it all. More voyages, more visits.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:51 AM   #89
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Often the inside route is shorter depending on your desires for marinas at night or very secure anchorages.

If in the inside and only doing 30 to 50 miles a day, often you have to go 5 miles or more off the ICW to reach a route offeshore of shoals then 5 back in at the other end.

Not always, just depends, and more so .....your risk tolerance of some of the inlets you might use.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:19 AM   #90
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We want to explore various places but not take forever getting to them.
If we had your boat, we would go outside too. But since we travel at turtle speed, going everywhere takes forever. So be it!
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in New Jersey.
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:44 PM   #91
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
That's very nice but you still missed a beautiful area not replicable in the Bahamas. Different strokes as the saying goes.

As far visiting towns along the ICW, a car is the fastest way to do that.
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 03:05 PM   #92
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
That's very nice but you still missed a beautiful area not replicable in the Bahamas. Different strokes as the saying goes.

As far visiting towns along the ICW, a car is the fastest way to do that.
Wifey B: But not the fun way.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:39 PM   #93
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
A commercial airline flight would have been even quicker and I suspect, less expensive.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:53 PM   #94
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
A commercial airline flight would have been even quicker and I suspect, less expensive.
Wifey B: And not as much fun...
Old 05-06-2019, 02:16 PM   #95
Ben
Guru

City: Raleigh, NC
Vessel Model: Looking...
ICW or out and around?

I love this thread and hope to recharge it!

So, I am moving a fast boat (27kt cruise, on nice surface, twins) from Florida to North Carolina. I am in Stuart this week and will do ICW all the way to Amelia Island. This is where the decisioning and fun begin...

I am planning - weather permitting - to hop from Fernandina Beach Inlet to Beaufort SC, with a close eye on GA escape inlets if offshore is uncomfortable. I think this plan has many backup options, so I feel pretty good about it. I have about 3 wind and wave apps to pre-check 2 weeks in advance.

Then, up ICW through Charleston to potentially Little River Inlet outside to the Cape Fear River. I know the waters pretty well.

Finally from Masonboro Inlet to Beaufort Inlet to the journey home on the Neuse River. Curious if anyone more experienced than me on this route has any remembrances, advice, or cautions for our trip. I have also considered Charleston to Cape Fear River as a hop, but donít like the distance and lack of big inlets. Plus would like to see the Waccamaw River.

Thoughts, ideas? Our boat is a 33 foot express cruiser with (thirsty) twins, last one was a trawler (6kts doesnít bother me). Fuel cap is 240g. On smooth plane, 26-27kt is a comfortable speed.

Goal is to move the boat more versus the quality tour. Once in home waters will cruise a bit slower of course.

(Oh, plan is to do it Memorial Day weekend time or mid-June, weather permitting obviously)
Old 05-06-2019, 02:32 PM   #96

City: New Haven, Ct
Vessel Name: Song Bird
Vessel Model: Vicem 58
Ben, I've done your proposed route going south, it's a great idea because you cut out a huge amount of miles while using two good inlets for exit and re entry.

last I did it, everyone on board was seasick except me. they were conditioned to the ditch and anchoring. when we went outside the motion with waves and 25kts of breeze was too much for two days. luckily I was OK and able to stand watch the entire time until the rest got their sea legs.
Symphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:49 PM   #97
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I've done a bunch of the Fla to NC coast in both directions, many times.

The factors in play are these: 1. Weather 2. Weather(!!) 3. Boat range 4. Cost of fuel going fast vs. going slow. 5. What you want to see (Wacamaw is beautiful) vs what is ok to miss. 6. Daylight hours and speed, avoiding night runs in unfamiliar places.

I generally try to do Ga offshore. Auggie or Fernandina to Chas, if calm. offshore. Lots of good inlets to duck into, and many fewer miles offshore than inshore Ga.

Chas SC to Winyah bay (Georgetown) inside or out, depends on weather, trip length about the same.

Go inside from Southport NC (Cape Fear River) to Wrightsville Beach, then outside to Beaufort if calm. Inside is not horrible, but takes about twice as long as offshore.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:36 PM   #98
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post

Thoughts, ideas? Our boat is a 33 foot express cruiser with (thirsty) twins, last one was a trawler (6kts doesnít bother me). Fuel cap is 240g. On smooth plane, 26-27kt is a comfortable speed.
What is your conservative/safe range at 26-27 knots allowing an extra 20% or so? What is your slow cruise and range at it?
Old 05-06-2019, 06:05 PM   #99
Ben
Guru

City: Raleigh, NC
Vessel Model: Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
What is your conservative/safe range at 26-27 knots allowing an extra 20% or so? What is your slow cruise and range at it?

So...
240g topped off. 1.5mpg at 27k, minus 20%, I figure 300 miles. My plan is not to exceed 120. New boat for me. Proceeding gingerly. Must have pretty placid seas or long rollers to run fast. Former trawler owner, 7k wonít make me cry. If have to do 7k, Iíll pull into one of the many GA inlets.

Kind of excited.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:27 PM   #100
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
So...
240g topped off. 1.5mpg at 27k, minus 20%, I figure 300 miles. My plan is not to exceed 120. New boat for me. Proceeding gingerly. Must have pretty placid seas or long rollers to run fast. Former trawler owner, 7k wonít make me cry. If have to do 7k, Iíll pull into one of the many GA inlets.

Kind of excited.
I don't know what express cruiser you have, but one thing you'll learn quickly and that is the most comfortable speed in light to moderate seas isn't slow like you're thinking. You'll learn your speeds for comfort and enjoyment but boats like yours are made to ride well at speed. You'll also learn that your mileage doesn't change as much as you think until you get very slow. Now, as to the 1.5 mpg, unless you've seen proof of it, don't take that to the bank or the ocean. For a 33 ft express cruiser that cruises at 26-27 knots, that sounds very high.

There are plenty of good inlets all along the way. I very much concur with Ski on best ways to run it. I would not run the ICW through GA unless conditions were bad outside. That's primarily because of the condition of the ICW through there.

As to the Wrightsville to Beaufort run, I would run it outside to save time.

Otherwise it's what you want to see. We run through Myrtle Beach as we have family there. Otherwise I'd run Charleston to Southport outside or if that's far for you, Georgetown to Southport.

Although the trip is a delivery trip, you'll likely enjoy it more with some mix of inside and outside.

I wouldn't overextend my days. I don't know if you have others to take the helm or not. If it's just you, I'd target 8 hour days. You can deceive yourself and run longer and think it's easy for a day or two, but not for an entire trip like you're making.