I am trying to sell a donated 36' Grand Banks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As a buyer looking for a PNW boat, the more turnkey the boat, the better. If the current slip is not available find one that is available so that information can be included. I disagree with the sell the dingy separately. It will make a cheap boat ever harder to sell. A dingy is hardly a bump to a richer buyer but a buyer looking at a $20,000 boat, a $2,000+ dingy and motor purchase is likely a deal stopper.

I also think a person who can only afford a $20,000 boat wouldn't care if the hull is wood, steel or fiberglass. It is rich buzzards on a site like this one that look ahead to potential problems that give wood a bad name.

Mike

"Buzzards" ? "Rich" ????

giphy.gif

"I also think a person who can only afford a $20,000 boat wouldn't care if the hull is wood, steel or fiberglass. It is rich buzzards on a site like this one that look ahead to potential problems that give wood a bad name."

Mike[/QUOTE]

This is an unnecessary and erroneous statement. A person buying a $20k boat should be very aware of the issues with any type of hull materiel regardless of purchase price. Having had wood, glass, aluminum and glass over wood hulls, I have become substantially aware of the benefits and drawbacks of different hull materiel. If you are willing to accept the drawbacks of an older cheap wooden hulled boat, you can enjoy the benefits of wood and it can be serviceable for many years if the hull is sound and the buyer is willing to do the work required to keep it in shape. But the reality of many marinas refusing wood boats has to be dealt with as are many of the other problems of wood hulls. There are ways to beat these if you think outside the box. Example, look to rent a private dock. They might not be available everywhere, but there are many out there. An older wood boat may be a way to get into a boat cheaply, but that does not mean it will be cheap to own. Just be realistic and understand the initial cost does not reflect the total cost of ownership. Research everything before you buy. And BTW, wood boats get a bad name because most are old, poorly maintained if maintained at all. A well maintained wood boat is a piece of art that most true boaters appreciate.

220px-Steppe_buzzard_%28Buteo_buteo_vulpinus%29.jpg
+VFpmOMH0wDpCQOpl9flFwpwu1hmzg1gr6GSW4mdqIgNdH5h14sDIGb5xrPRJqj40NU1v5yMoKXwAAA==

Deeply hurt feelings. Worse if I was rich.

Last edited:
........ It is rich buzzards on a site like this one that look ahead to potential problems that give wood a bad name....

Nobody needs to help wooden boats have a bad reputation for condition and liability. They earn their reputation on their own.

You can search for scapegoats all you want. Insurance companies, marinas, and boatyards are tired of being left holding the bag for boats where the owner walked away from liability that far exceeded the boats value. All too often, wooden bows fit into that category.

Feel free to invest in a marina or boatyard and make it exclusive to wooden boats.

Peter

It is rich buzzards on a site like this one that look ahead to potential problems that give wood a bad name.

Mike

yeah.....one should never look ahead to potential problems, right? I wonder how those buzzards ever got rich?

Fiberglass boats are prone to blisters, to delamination, to water soaked cores, to hairline gel coat cracks.

To the OP, suggest you find a surveyor that knows wood boats and get a report, post it, share it with any interested buyers. Eliminate the guesses.

Back to the OP problem, December is not a great time to sell any boat and located in a relatively isolated location makes it tougher. Add that to a limited clientele,, older wood boat, a quick sale is going to require a very attractive price. At least it is a desirable model, well know in the trawler world. Be prepared to list at a “good deal “ price and explain why it is such a good price, not that it’s a dog. Good luck.

Surprised

Wow, I expected everybody to identify with rich buzzards, not cause any ruffled feathers. The cost of owning boats, seems to be one of the main topics on the site, if not the main topic. Rich people pay the costs associated and look ahead to mitigating those costs.

Poor people tend to jump particularly if it is, in their minds, their last chance. Could be the last chance at boating; last chance to live in a particular area, etc. etc.

Who on this site isn't like the Snoopy buzzard sitting looking for the best deal?

I've been surprised how many times a new person chooses or has just chosen a cheap boat because it is cheap after what seems like 100s warnings against it.

Count me as surprised

Mike

Most boats have two anchors.
You can tell a rich buzzard by how many more than two anchors. One for every known bottom. :D

Hehe, yeah baby! Boats is expensive - :)

I bought the cheapest boat I could find that didn't smell bad and I could stand straight in the saloon and sleep in a real queen size bed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom