How to determine your limits...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting thread to read through. Someone early said that some folks are just born with some mechanical aptitude. I sure didn't get it from my dad - he couldn't change a light bulb.

Like most, I took the "Necessity is Mother of Invention" path. I just couldn't afford to not fix stuff; and I always had vehicles that needed attention. I drove a 1974 VW camper van for years and cannot remember how many times I adjusted the valves before the day's drive. Same with my old BMW motorcycles.

As I've aged and gotten more flush with cash but still fix stuff myself but for different reasons: Even though I really don't enjoy the work as much as I once did, finding competent help often takes longer than just doing it myself.

Some things are simply left undone. I just responded to a post by CatalinaJack about alternator output. Electrics are definitely a weakness in my skillset. Unfortunately, it's a weakness for many mechanics too. My solution is to keep thing simple - an old diesel only needs electricity to energize the starter and crank the motor. That's my limit. My buddy has a relatively new Power Cat with twin Cummins that sometimes do weird things for some unknown reason that only his marine electrician can figure out (last one was a slightly corroded hair-fine wire in a quick-connect plug). Michael (electrician) found it in about 20-minutes after a factor Cummins' mechanic spent 2-days replacing $5k in parts and didn't find it.

Another example of knowing my limits comes in Networking, as in the various items with IP Addresses - stiff that allows you to control gizmos via an iPad or similar. Way-cool when it works. But eventually, something will break. Troubleshooting networked gear is super frustrating for me and my success rate hovers in the low-mid single digit percentages. Therefore, I have banned all WiFi-dependent infrastructure from my boat, at least as primary interface.

Long story to say that knowing your limits is one thing. Respecting them and having a Plan B is another. Some folks are fine calling in the cavalry (mechanics, electricians, etc). Me? I'd prefer to keep systems that I have a shot of fixing myself.

Peter

Interesting thread to read through. Someone early said that some folks are just born with some mechanical aptitude. I sure didn't get it from my dad - he couldn't change a light bulb.

Like most, I took the "Necessity is Mother of Invention" path. I just couldn't afford to not fix stuff; and I always had vehicles that needed attention. I drove a 1974 VW camper van for years and cannot remember how many times I adjusted the valves before the day's drive. Same with my old BMW motorcycles.

As I've aged and gotten more flush with cash but still fix stuff myself but for different reasons: Even though I really don't enjoy the work as much as I once did, finding competent help often takes longer than just doing it myself.

Some things are simply left undone. I just responded to a post by CatalinaJack about alternator output. Electrics are definitely a weakness in my skillset. Unfortunately, it's a weakness for many mechanics too. My solution is to keep thing simple - an old diesel only needs electricity to energize the starter and crank the motor. That's my limit. My buddy has a relatively new Power Cat with twin Cummins that sometimes do weird things for some unknown reason that only his marine electrician can figure out (last one was a slightly corroded hair-fine wire in a quick-connect plug). Michael (electrician) found it in about 20-minutes after a factor Cummins' mechanic spent 2-days replacing $5k in parts and didn't find it.

Another example of knowing my limits comes in Networking, as in the various items with IP Addresses - stiff that allows you to control gizmos via an iPad or similar. Way-cool when it works. But eventually, something will break. Troubleshooting networked gear is super frustrating for me and my success rate hovers in the low-mid single digit percentages. Therefore, I have banned all WiFi-dependent infrastructure from my boat, at least as primary interface.

Long story to say that knowing your limits is one thing. Respecting them and having a Plan B is another. Some folks are fine calling in the cavalry (mechanics, electricians, etc). Me? I'd prefer to keep systems that I have a shot of fixing myself.

Peter
I spent years as a diesel mechanic for Mack Trucks. I am grateful that they saw some aptitude and sent me to school for electrical systems. This translates pretty well to boats also. I am restoring a 1973 GB 36, and I like it for the reason that here are NO electronic devices controlling the boat. As you said, start/charge is all that's electrical. KISS is for me. I have also noticed that vehicle (and I assume other) dealers are computer guys that just replace parts. True diagnostic skills seem to be very rare these days.

I spent years as a diesel mechanic for Mack Trucks. I am grateful that they saw some aptitude and sent me to school for electrical systems. This translates pretty well to boats also. I am restoring a 1973 GB 36, and I like it for the reason that here are NO electronic devices controlling the boat. As you said, start/charge is all that's electrical. KISS is for me. I have also noticed that vehicle (and I assume other) dealers are computer guys that just replace parts. True diagnostic skills seem to be very rare these days.

Yes the old ways where you could are gone. Now you can isolate a module of the computer controlled circuit (guess maybe) and replace parts. It is not worth the time to find a broken circuit on a computer chip.
I also like the pre electronics of my GB 1971. Grew up with it and learned it.

Yes the old ways where you could are gone. Now you can isolate a module of the computer controlled circuit (guess maybe) and replace parts. It is not worth the time to find a broken circuit on a computer chip.

Owning old-school rigs - I always carry a Leatherman Surge... wherever I go! Can fix most items on the spot!! :thumb:

I will work on anything but Transmissions and Electrical.
One is Voodoo and the other is Black magic.

I hire a Pro or a Priest for each.

Owning old-school rigs - I always carry a Leatherman Surge... wherever I go! Can fix most items on the spot!! :thumb:

No toothpick, no adjustable wrench????
Try the Swiss Army knife "Swiss Champ XLT".
Any bigger would require a truck

Last edited:
Update: Over the weekend I agreed to have my boat polished and detailed by a pro. Yes, I could do it, but I'd be paying the price for a long time in aches and pains. My left elbow still hasn't recovered from the last splicing job I did. I also just don't think it is fun. So I'll spend a few boat bucks to have my dull and drab boat turned into a slightly less dull and drab boat.

Used my Swiss Army knife to fix the door knob on the old school house on Stuart Island today.

Needs some lube to work ok, but I usually don't hike island trails with WD40!

No toothpick, no adjustable wrench????
Try the Swiss Army knife "Swiss Champ XLT".
Any bigger would require a truck

Just watched 12 minute Swiss Champ XLT video. No adjustable wrench on it either! LOL

Plenty useful tools; considerable redundancy on some. Noticed nothing locked in place... dangerous for knife blades, cumbersome for other portions.

Plyers too small/whimpey for many needs I run into.

Leatherman tools are covered for life of ownership. Bend it, break it, lose a portion of it... send it in and a repaired or brand new one comes back. All portions lock rigidly in place during use. Done the replacement guarantee two times as mine gets rough use by me and others who know I have it in my pocket. Comfortably fits right next to my wallet. Does Swiss freely repair any problem that happens to any portion of the Swiss Champ XLT... or other tool packs?

Leatherman Surge is much more rugged in general. Much less $$$ too!!

Name of mine is the "Troy Toy". My son gifted it to me 15+ yrs ago!

Last edited:
I am teasing about the Swiss Army knife.

I carry a Myerchin, Type 1.

I am teasing about the Swiss Army knife.

I carry a Myerchin, Type 1.

Well... I'm not kidden bout the Surge!! :D

Your tool's spike is useful. Would like the Surge to have one too!

Last edited:
When I started out as an apprentice mechanic the best piece of advice that I ever got was "If you can figure out how it works, you can fix it". Now a little mechanical knowledge and "feel" is pretty important but always look at any project as an exercise in not only the original repair, but also the myriad little things that have to happen to facilitate that repair.
Think of changing an alternator or water pump and finding a bolt that doesn't want to budge. A little thinking at this point can save you hours of heartache and money rather than grabbing a cheater pipe and snapping it off in the block.
Just stay calm and think before you act and you can accomplish a lot more than you might realize.

The sad part of this new mentality is that mechanical failure (of which I include wiring, not actual electronic components), are responsible for upwards of 90% of breakdowns. The electronic system is for fuel efficiency and emissions monitoring. The system only tells you that you have a problem in a certain area. It is typically NOT the electronic component itself. With out honed diagnostic skills you will likely never figure it out.

In the past, I have sometimes hired a professional to observe and guide while I did something critical to prevent a major mistake and so I could learn to do it right. Just a thought.

Some times it makes no difference as to whether or not I "know" how to do something on any mechanical or electrical portions of items in life. Too often it comes to the fact that [even if I want to] I can't locate anyone who wants to or even can be hired to accomplish the job.

Luckily I was born with good amount of natural mechanical "brain" and a bit of patience... as well as innate desire to delve into new things. Then came along internet [i.e. google]; from that miracle of communication development most secrets for "fix-it" or "build-it" can be uncovered, understood and accomplished.

Being old-school I still have many, many printed manuals for each of my toys' equipment requirements. Gives me the best of three worlds: My brain, the manuals and google - what's not to love!! :thumb:

When you set limits, you stop learning.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom