greetings and a trawler layout question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpsmit

Greetings all, I have been lurking for a number of months and thought I should introduce myself and seek some advice.

I am located in Toronto and grew up sailing with my father on the Bay of Quinte (Lake Ontario).

Mrs JP and I are a couple of years from retirement and one (potential) aspect of the retirement plan is a boat. As mentioned I grew up sailing. My brother just sold his Gilbert 30+ and my brother in law just bought a 30 foot Hunter. Sailing I understand.

That said, the more I look, the more I think a Trawler will be a better fit. This boat will mostly be a dock cottage - with occasional trips either just for weekends or on the likes of the Trent Canal system. I imagine we would need about 30-36 feet and I really don't want to spend more than 50k CDN.

(There is a 1979 Albin 36 that is currently really calling my name - for that kind of money.)

It is pretty important that I get a boat with a diesel engine - I don't need to go anywhere fast and watching gas prices skyrocket around here - suffice it to stay diesel is the way I want to go.

All of which leads to my question:

What kind of boat of that size and price has a queen sized bed that you can walk around? We are not interested in a V berth - and many I have seen (including the Albin) have at best a double crammed against the wall.

I am in no rush to buy (and where we end up will impact the decision) but it seems like the knowledge on this forum could at least point me in some helpful directions.

thanks all!

Welcome aboard. As to which boats have the layout you want, there are so many boats out there it is difficult to recommend oone or two. Maybe check out PowerBoat Guide. It has descriptions and layouts of hundreds of boats.

Yep, Powerboat Guide. Layout diagrams. The PDF version is keyword searchable.

In general, aft cabin boats are more likely to have a walkaround berth, but there are also a few mid-cabin solutions.

-Chris

Thanks for the welcome and early replies! will for sure check the Powerboat Guide (didn't know such a thing existed) I wonder if there are just fewer options on the Great Lakes as I am honestly surprised to hear that there are many choices - it seems from the ads I see that almost all (in my price range) don't have the bigger beds.

thanks again!

Getting a Queen-size walkaround bed is going to be tough in that range (Albin 36.) Our Prairie 36 has a walkaround full-size bed, which we like a lot more than the separate bunks some aft cabins have.

Fuel costs need not drive your requirement for a diesel. There are other good reasons, but you said it's only a dock cottage or weekender. You'll never justify the cost of a diesel on fuel savings alone. And where you're going, both fuels will probably be available.

If you remove that requirement, you may find a lot of sedan cruisers like Silverton, Bayliner and Carver which give you a lot of interior living space. Admittedly, they're not as salty looking as a trawler style. But sometimes it's nice to be able to get up on plane and get somewhere fast, weather permitting and at the cost of higher fuel burn, of course.

Towards the 36 foot end of that range a walkaround bunk becomes possible, but not necessarily all that common. As others have mentioned, it'll be more common with an aft cabin than in other designs. My 38 footer (unfortunately gas powered) has a walkaround king in the aft cabin. Mine isn't a real trawler either (it planes and will happily cruise on plane until it's time to stop for fuel, but it's also pretty good at going slow).

The 40 Albin that can be had just as cheaply....has a walkaround queen and a galley down out of the salon for room and visual appeal.

Late model year Mainship 34s have a fwd queen that is accessible from both sides. It is a queen size with corners cut/ rounded but will be above your price point.
Look at Yacht World and dontvrestrict yourself to your area just to view layouts and get a feel for alternatives.
You are in a great cruising area with many options. After retirement you may find yourself exploring longer without the need to go a long way.
Welcome aboard TF

It is pretty important that I get a boat with a diesel engine - I don't need to go anywhere fast and watching gas prices skyrocket around here - suffice it to stay diesel is the way I want to go.

What kind of boat of that size and price has a queen sized bed that you can walk around? We are not interested in a V berth - and many I have seen (including the Albin) have at best a double crammed against the wall.

I forgot to mention there are "island queen" beds n the bow of many boat models. It's not usually rectangular, not usually real household queen size, and might require a step up, or two... but OTOH, access from each side is possible. And it's not a bad solution to V-berths.

Also didn't think to say it before: dock cottages don't really need diesel.

-Chris

I forgot to mention there are "island queen" beds n the bow of many boat models. It's not usually rectangular, not usually real household queen size, and might require a step up, or two... but OTOH, access from each side is possible. And it's not a bad solution to V-berths.

Also didn't think to say it before: dock cottages don't really need diesel.

-Chris

We have one of those island queens up forward as well. Ours isn't really walk around though, you get on from the end or you can walk part way up one side. And it's not quite a queen. More like a slightly narrow queen at the head, widens a bit, then pinches back down to about a full at the bottom.

We have an 89 Jefferson 37 Sundeck with a walk around 'full-size) or double in the aft cabin. It has galley down, with two complete heads and separate stand up showers. If you can find one, it would be in your price range. Twin diesels, ours has twin Cummins 250hp.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard, eh? I also suggest broadening your search to include gas vessels but can fully appreciate your desire for a diesel(s). Look at motor yachts, as well.

Regarding the Power Boat Guide (PBG) Keep in mind you will be looking for an older vessel and a new guide will probably only cover those models in the last 20 years, or so. You may have to get an older copy to cover your anticipated 20 year span.

I recently purchased a new 2018 PBG (Amazon, I think) to cover those models we were interested in (the late 1990's onward). You might also try your local library and simply borrow a copy of an earlier issue.

Just looked it up....https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/detail.jsp?Entt=RDM2214436&R=2214436

Enjoy.

Hello and welcome.
Take a look at the American Tug in the low 40ft range. I have a 34 with a supposed queen size berth. When you have examined the lay out and I will be happy to discuss it with you.

Check out the Monk 36. Not sure if it is full or queen, but the aft cabin is quite comfortable.

Keep an eye on Kijiji - Ontario. There is not much there today but several over the last few months that might fit you wish list. Boatdealers is good too

Barrie

Thanks Barrie, yes Kijiji is open a lot on my computer! (Classic cars mostly but now boats also) thanks for the suggestion and thanks all for your input.

Here's the berth in the master stateroom on the Ta Chiao 35 Sundeck:

Berth Master Stateroom.jpg

It is offset to permit the emergency tiller to reach the rudder post.

Bruce

Greetings all, I have been lurking for a number of months and thought I should introduce myself and seek some advice.

I am located in Toronto and grew up sailing with my father on the Bay of Quinte (Lake Ontario).

Mrs JP and I are a couple of years from retirement and one (potential) aspect of the retirement plan is a boat. As mentioned I grew up sailing. My brother just sold his Gilbert 30+ and my brother in law just bought a 30 foot Hunter. Sailing I understand.

That said, the more I look, the more I think a Trawler will be a better fit. This boat will mostly be a dock cottage - with occasional trips either just for weekends or on the likes of the Trent Canal system. I imagine we would need about 30-36 feet and I really don't want to spend more than 50k CDN.

(There is a 1979 Albin 36 that is currently really calling my name - for that kind of money.)

I am in no rush to buy (and where we end up will impact the decision) but it seems like the knowledge on this forum could at least point me in some helpful directions.

thanks all!
The standard Taiwanese under 36ft late 70's early 80's will all have V berth or Pullman double in the aft. Walk around queen is a step up to the late 90's 2000's i the 40ft range. we have a mainship 390 but they are close to 200K

My wife has the same requirement... for us to sleep in the same bed. I know the double (queen) vs. two single's is a hot debate... right up there with gas vs. diesel and the old galley up vs. down. And while a walk around is ideal... we have slept in one boat with an "almost walk around" in the bow. That worked for us... allowed each of us to get out without crawling over the other person. (I'm thinking it would be possible to convert a V to a center double with side access... but that's quite a bit of work.) If not in a hurry... keep looking. There will always be another boat coming down the river.

Side note... someone once said, "Have your 'fun' all over the boat... but separate bunks provide the best sleep." LOL!

My wife has the same requirement... for us to sleep in the same bed. I know the double (queen) vs. two single's is a hot debate... right up there with gas vs. diesel and the old galley up vs. down. And while a walk around is ideal... we have slept in one boat with an "almost walk around" in the bow. That worked for us... allowed each of us to get out without crawling over the other person. (I'm thinking it would be possible to convert a V to a center double with side access... but that's quite a bit of work.) If not in a hurry... keep looking. There will always be another boat coming down the river.

Side note... someone once said, "Have your 'fun' all over the boat... but separate bunks provide the best sleep." LOL!

:lol:

Indeed. Was looking at a boat last night (can't even remember what just now) with a single and a double in the aft cabin with a dresser inbetween. I Can't imagine it would be that difficult to build in a proper queensized bad.

Not sure if it was this forum where I read. on my boat:

2 max to sleep
4 max to eat
6 max for drinks.

that seems reasonable. cheers all!

yes... I've seen similar "My boat sleeps two, eats four, and drinks as many as will fit."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom