Old 12-22-2015, 07:45 PM   #21
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Tom, I have a Raymarine plotter on my boat and can buy the Canadian charts on one chip for about that same amount ($99).

I was just hoping to do some pre-trip planning on OpenCPN.

Dick, I completed the first 3 steps and found a wealth of information in the CF forum user guide. I can see this is going to be a VERY time consuming search process if I work it right!

Thanks for the tips and help.

GFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:41 AM   #22
Opu

City: Oceanside
Vessel Name: Cheers
Vessel Model: Bayliner 32
Yeah, you can put a lot of functionality in 100,000 lines of program code. So far I have found OpenCPN most useful for pre-plotting routes. I print the region of the chart containing one or two routes along with the waypoints and put the pages in a vinyl sheet protector. Navigation in SoCal waters isn't as "intense" as it is in other areas, so I don't have much use for the fancy stuff.

Glad I could help. If you have questions I can try to answer them, but given my limited use of the program you're probably better off posting the questions on Cruiser Forum.

Opu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:17 PM   #23
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Thanks for the help. I suggested to my wife that we postpone Christmas because I had found a new boating website that needed a lot of my time.

When I woke up I was ready to be released from the hospital. All will be good in due time.

Just kidding, of course, but finding another boating site to explore is just a great Christmas present.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:28 PM   #24
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
I am bumping this thread because I need some assistance from those who use Google Maps to illustrate routes.

I am continuing to research my father's service as a pilot in the RCAF in Bomber Command during WWII. I have obtained the "turning points" for about half of his operations over Germany and also to over Norway. I have figured out how to convert the latitude and longitude coordinates to KML format and can plot these on Google maps. However, I am unable to determine how to connect the waypoints in an efficient and accurate fashion. For now, I have been using the drawing tool and doing the work freehand. There has to be a better method, but I'm damned if I can figure it out, no matter how much I search the issue. Advice please?

I have attached a screen capture of the route for the bombing operation to Soest, Germany, December 5/6, 1944. The outward route is in blue and the return route is in orange.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dec 5 6 1944 Route Soest 1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	82885  
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:22 PM   #25
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
I'm surprised nobody had any insights on my request above. However I have now completed putting down all 31 of the routes on Google maps and they are quite fascinating to review them and reflect back on what it would have been like to do all of this in the chaos of combat. I have had 4 phone calls with my father's navigator, still spry at 96 and with excellent recall!

I was unsuccessful in automating the "drawing feature" to connect "Turning Points" (waypoints). However I was able to come up with useful
for Great Circle Distances (Haversine formula) and also "Initial Bearings". For those who are interested...

Excel formula for Initial Bearing (True):
=ATAN2(COS(lat1)*SIN(lat2)-SIN(lat1)*COS(lat2)*COS(lon2-lon1),SIN(lon2-lon1)*COS(lat2)); where lats and longs are in radians. Note that the =radians() in excel gives a slightly different answer to latitude*22/7/180. Not sure why. Note that bearing actually changes slightly during longer distances, hence the term "initial bearing"

Excel formula for Great Circle Distances (Haversine formula):
2*ASIN(MIN(1,((SIN((Delta Latitude)/2))^2+((COS(Latitude1)*COS(Latitude2))*(SIN((Delta Longitude)/2)^2)))^0.5))*Earths radius,1)
, where Earth's radius is 6,371 km and again all coordinates in radians.

One can then concatenate the route instructions for the turning points into a "route paragraph" using some string formulas as well as the concatenate formula: Concatenate(text1,text2...). Here is a "route paragraph" for Dad's operation to Hanover, March 25, 1945:

From Base, set Course to TP2: Initial bearing 173.5 degrees T, Distance: 69.7 miles. Alter Course to TP3: Initial bearing 105.8 degrees T, Distance: 118.8 miles. Alter Course to TP4: Initial bearing 140 degrees T, Distance: 133.8 miles. Alter Course to TP5-On Track: Initial bearing 89.4 degrees T, Distance: 64.5 miles. Alter Course to TP6: Initial bearing 89.6 degrees T, Distance: 43 miles. Alter Course to TP7: Initial bearing 61.3 degrees T, Distance: 48.7 miles. Alter Course to TP8: Initial bearing 89.1 degrees T, Distance: 99.6 miles. Alter Course to TP9-On Track: Initial bearing 23.7 degrees T, Distance: 8.8 miles. Alter Course to Target Hannover: Initial bearing 23.8 degrees T, Distance: 32.9 miles. Alter Course to TP11: Initial bearing 27.4 degrees T, Distance: 6.3 miles. Alter Course to TP12: Initial bearing 304.5 degrees T, Distance: 10.2 miles. Alter Course to TP13: Initial bearing 223.7 degrees T, Distance: 68 miles. Alter Course to TP14: Initial bearing 270.6 degrees T, Distance: 64 miles. Alter Course to TP15: Initial bearing 242.1 degrees T, Distance: 48.7 miles. Alter Course to TP16: Initial bearing 271 degrees T, Distance: 107.5 miles. Alter Course to TP17: Initial bearing 321.6 degrees T, Distance: 133.8 miles. Alter Course to TP18: Initial bearing 288 degrees T, Distance: 118.8 miles. Alter Course to Middleton St George: Initial bearing 353.6 degrees T, Distance: 69.7 miles.

Note that Bomber Command was converting from MPH to Knots from late 1944 to the end of the war. As this involved replacing the "airspeed indicator" in the aircraft, not all squadrons (including dad's) completed the conversion, so I have stayed with miles for distances.

Be aware that I found computational errors in some of the web based calculators for great circle distances, and for my purposes it was best to do all of this in a spreadsheet, as I was working with hundreds of coordinates over the 31 operations.

Jim

JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote