Old 02-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #21
Guru

City: gulf coast
I wanted them initially but the price and complexity turned me off.

I realized that i could approximate the fuel gauge reading down to 1/16 th on a gauge labeled in 1/4 ths.

By reading the gauges as I filled the tanks and recording the 1/16ths and gallons I was able to get a reasonable repeatable estimate of fuel used that could be verified every time I filled up.

from that point on I never considered flowscans.

bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:44 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
When repowering my boat, to keep the flowscan would have required new flow sensors. Then the old analog face would have been very hard to read do to the large scale for the previous engine's fuel consumption. New engine has digital readout of fuel consumption to a tenth of a gallon per hour. Seems a much better more accurate system without flow sensors and associated plumbing.

Use mine like an engine gauge to help determine everything is functioning properly. Can tell when the house bank goes off of absorption while charging as the power consumption drops dramatically. Normally I just set the throttle to 2 GPH and cruise at whatever that speed is.

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:26 PM   #23
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Sad to hear, but understand why. As others posted pretty much all engines sold new in the last ten years have electronic controls in which reside an algorithm that calcs burn rate. Does not measure it, but calcs it. And these readings have proven quite accurate.

On trawlers that burn 1-4gph, the Flowscan and other direct measurement tools have proven to be difficult to get an accurate reading. Two sensors, each with a certain % accuracy. Subtract two close numbers each with an accuracy of X and total error can magnify.

Say fuel supply flow is 20gph +/- 3%. So actual flow could be 19.4 to 20.6

Say burn rate is 2gph.

So return is 18gph measured at +/- 3%. Actual could be 17.46 to 18.54.

So take the extremes (not really likely, but trying to make a point) and measured flow rate could be 19.4-18.54= 0.86gph or 20.6-17.46=3.14gph.

Now you calc error and your 3% sensors give you a total error of 57%. Yuk.

Math way different for engine burning 30gph, they shine there, but that ain't my world.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:54 PM   #24
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by alesnloggers View Post
I had beers with the developer of this system recently. Interactio
No affiliation other than a mutual friend.
Nice idea. Bluetooth to a phone app instead of a wired connection to a dedicated computer for analysis.

I see two drawbacks. First, the sensors still cost $1,400 CA (over $1,100 US) for four (twin diesels.) Second, Bluetooth communication is good for just a couple meters. I doubt it'll reach the flybridge from the engine room.

I keep hoping for a way to justify flow monitoring, but so far have come up empty-handed.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:11 AM   #25
FF
Guru

"I keep hoping for a way to justify flow monitoring, but so far have come up empty-handed."

Any inaccuracy in the flo scan system seems to not change.

So with a bit of adjustment over time the amount of fuel in the tanks will be very close to real.

We have ( 2 ) 100G tanks and run down to 10-15 gal remaining.

The dipstick and gauge reading frequently come out with in a gallon.

Close enough to know the marina pump has not been "fixed" to read 10% or more high.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:31 PM   #26

City: Brentwood Bay, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Nice idea. Bluetooth to a phone app instead of a wired connection to a dedicated computer for analysis.

I see two drawbacks. First, the sensors still cost $1,400 CA (over $1,100 US) for four (twin diesels.) Second, Bluetooth communication is good for just a couple meters. I doubt it'll reach the flybridge from the engine room.

I keep hoping for a way to justify flow monitoring, but so far have come up empty-handed.
Hi guys,

Disclaimer! I am a vendor and am the guy that alesnloggers had beers with.

I don't want to pitch anything but just wanted to address the bluetooth comment by CaptTom (above):

Bluetooth range is much more than a few metres. My sensor uses Bluetooth 4.2 set on medium power and has a range of approx. 100 feet. We have customers who installed in several 40+ foot twin diesels, the largest being a 57' Motoryacht. The sensors are mounted down in the engine room on the inside of the engine beds behind the gears and the owner uses his phone from the wheelhouse with no issues. The engine room is also sound insulated and completely closed and to my surprise he has not had any problems with range. To be honest, it's better than I thought it would be.

Safe boating everyone,
David
Old 02-19-2018, 02:12 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualburton View Post
I don't want to pitch anything but just wanted to address the bluetooth comment by CaptTom (above):

Bluetooth range is much more than a few metres. My sensor uses Bluetooth 4.2 set on medium power and has a range of approx. 100 feet...
Sweet! I guess my knowledge of Bluetooth is outdated!

Thanks for chiming in. It's always good to have someone who really knows what they're talking about show up here.

Now, if you could do something about the cost of those flow meter sending units...
Old 02-19-2018, 03:05 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
...Now, if you could do something about the cost of those flow meter sending units...
I looked at their web site. $729 CND for a single diesel (2 sensors) and $1,390 CND for twin engines doesn’t sound too bad when compared to similar systems. I do like that the sensors can be mounted vertically or horizontally.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:19 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
I looked at their web site. $729 CND for a single diesel (2 sensors) and $1,390 CND for twin engines doesn’t sound too bad when compared to similar systems.
No question they're good gear, and compare favorably to the competition.

I just can't justify the cost, given the value of the data to me. It's just telling me something I already monitor on a regular basis, but in real time. Nice, but not nice enough to cost the same as a radar system.

I compare it to other process control sensors used in factories and homes all over the world. One can monitor the flow of various liquids with any number of different sensors, starting at a tiny fraction of the price of one of these "marine-grade" diesel fuel sensors.

I don't even begrudge the cost of the computer to add and subtract the pulses. That's a specialized, low-volume item. But I can't fathom why the sending units can't be stamped out in large quantities at some factory in the developing world for a comparable price to all the other cheap sensors available today.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:13 PM   #30

City: Brentwood Bay, BC
Quote:
But I can't fathom why the sending units can't be stamped out in large quantities at some factory in the developing world for a comparable price to all the other cheap sensors available today.
Tom, believe me, I thought exactly the same thing you did when I started this but there are a myriad of reasons why. I'd be happy to explain them to you if you want, contact me any time.

As I said above, they are not a fit for some and it sounds like you have it covered so good on ya!

Cheers, David
Old 02-28-2018, 04:02 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Latest email from FloScan.

FloScan would like to thank our customers who placed final orders during the month of February. As a result, the increase in business permits us to keep the doors open through the end of March. Please note that the supply of remaining inventory is limited and will be sold on a first come, first serve basis. If you’re interested in placing an order, send us a description of the item(s) in question for pricing and availability.

Lastly, negotiations with a potential buyer are still ongoing and we will send an update regarding this matter as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Joe Dydasco
Sales Manager

Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote