Fishing Rod Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When we had out GB36 in Hawaii, we put out lines when ever we went anywhere. Didn't know what we were doing, but we caught a LOT of fish!:D Wahoo (Ono), Mahi Mahi, Barracuda, Aku, Marlin, the only thing we were never able to catch was yellow fin tuna! We used old Penn Peer and other rods/reels that came with the boat. We caught more fish than we could eat . . . . , but we'll have to learn all over again when we get a new boat and start fishing Florida/Bahamas I guess . . .

Greetings,
Mr. s. Your techniques or lack thereof will serve you well in the waters off Florida although word on the wharf is the fishing isn't what it was 20 years ago. Whatever the reason, over fishing, global warming/cooling,climate change,moon phases or the price of beaver pelts in Norway it just ain't the same. You probably WILL catch something but I doubt you will have excess. I think the results are better in the Bahamas but, of course, EVERYTHING is better in the Bahamas.

giphy.webp

Yup. Drag lines whenever you can. Slower is usually better.

Last edited:
I agree with Senor RT, most of the same principles apply just hang a lure over and wait for a fish to commit suicide.

All: Thanks for the trolling advice, I’ll go w/ Mr. RT’s advice on the lures. I don't expect much in the Mississippi Sound but you never know.

Greetings,
Mr. GC. Don't know if this will load properly but...

https://www.fishidy.com/map/us/louisiana/biloxi-marsh

From a VERY quick scan of above it seems drifting or bottom fishing might be the norm due to the shallow depth.
The pelagic species (wahoo, mahi, tuna etc.) are usually in deeper water (probably out in the Gulf) and dispersed in the water column so trolling IS effective there.

That being said, it IS nice to drift around drowning a shrimp or two. Mmmm...redfish.

Edit: Just saw Mr. DC's post below. I defer to his superior knowledge of the area.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. GC. Don't know if this will load properly but...

https://www.fishidy.com/map/us/louisiana/biloxi-marsh

From a VERY quick scan of above it seems drifting or bottom fishing might be the norm...

Biloxi Marsh is loaded with Big Reds and trout, but in my experience it would be nearly impossible to fish effectively from a trawler, it's super shallow and mostly marsh grass with a mud bottom. Also extremely complicated navigation. Maybe if you anchored in a deep pass and fished dead bait on the bottom. A few shrimpers work the deep passes, so it might be possible to get a bigger boat in there, but man, there is a lot of shallow water.

Biloxi Marsh is loaded with Big Reds and trout, but in my experience it would be nearly impossible to fish effectively from a trawler, it's super shallow and mostly marsh grass with a mud bottom. Also extremely complicated navigation. Maybe if you anchored in a deep pass and fished dead bait on the bottom. A few shrimpers work the deep passes, so it might be possible to get a bigger boat in there, but man, there is a lot of shallow water.

There’s a guy who does videos fishing the Rigolets, Pearl River, Biloxi Marsh area for trout, redfish and bass. Marsh Man Masson, check him out, very entertaining. No way I could fish where he goes.

If you want to know what works in your local waters, talk to the local anglers. What works in coastal waters of FL or Canada will probably not work real well on the Mississippi River.

Wifey B: What's all this left or right reeling? :eek: Electric is the solution. :rofl:

Yeah right, the solution for old or unfit folk!

Wifey B: And those who don't want to work too hard at it. I'm not bottom fishing and reeling in from 300' or so manually. No way. :nonono::nonono::nonono:

We did a little fishing when we lived on the lake and used manual there. Spinning reels. Even fly rods. I can fly fish even and put that little bug right where I want to. But a fish better jump on it or I'm leaving. I like catching, but not waiting. :)

Senor RT. Are you suggesting filet and release?

Got those who have never tried deep dropping it is very productive but off south Florida we commonly drop two to five pounds of lead at depths to 800 feet, electric reels really shine. Drop down five or six times and it’s a workout.

Senor RT. Are you suggesting filet and release?

Got those who have never tried deep dropping it is very productive but off south Florida we commonly drop two to five pounds of lead at depths to 800 feet, electric reels really shine. Drop down five or six times and it’s a workout.

Wifey B: I only fish three or four times a year but some of it has been super deep. I've never fished in the ocean without an electric reel. We generally do day charters in remote locations and they all have electric reels. :)

For spinning reels, left hand retrieving is the norm for me. It allows my strong/dominant hand/side to do all the required fine motor skill to cast and give the lures action upon retrieval. For conventional reels it’s the opposite, but those usually do not require action being imparted by the angler.

It's funny that you mention it, because I never really cognitively realized this until this thread.

Occasional, short attention span fisherman here.

I have baitcasters (RH), level winds (RH), mooching (RH), and spincasting (LH) reels, and never gave it any thought.

Right hand or left hand, they all seem suitable for their purpose.

Come to think of it. Never figured out why mooching rods have eyelets on the bottom.
For spinning reels, left hand retrieving is the norm for me. It allows my strong/dominant hand/side to do all the required fine motor skill to cast and give the lures action upon retrieval. For conventional reels it’s the opposite, but those usually do not require action being imparted by the angler.

Greetings,
Ms. WB. Sorry. You're missing the whole point of fishing which is NOT necessarily fish.

Wifey B: Then why is that the part fisherpeople brag about? Maybe you're missing the point. It's called FISHing for a reason. :ermm:

You surely aren't one who goes to baseball games for the hot dogs? :rolleyes:

Wifey B: Then why is that the part fisherpeople brag about? Maybe you're missing the point. It's called FISHing for a reason. :ermm:

You surely aren't one who goes to baseball games for the hot dogs? :rolleyes:

I suspect many husbands grab their rods and a couple of beers and go put a line in the water - without any bait!

Just for the friggin' peace and quiet!

Greetings,
Ms. WB. EXACTLY!!! It's called fishing NOT catching. I don't go to baseball games nor do I eat hot dogs much. Do you sit down to a meal with your hubby to enjoy the experience or to simply fill your belly?

Mr. m. You may be onto something, in this particular case...

The last time I was in China, I was fortunate to be able to go fishing with a gentleman (Dr. Liu) who had no knowledge of the English language. MY mandarin is meager at best. We did have an interpreter who insisted on accompanying us because of the perceived language barrier in spite of the fact that she thought I was going to go shopping instead (That's what SHE wanted to do).

When we arrived at the lake, Dr. Lui and I "discussed" the appropriate tackle, rig set up, lure selection and proceeded to fish. The interpreter was aghast that we were able to successfully communicate. My reply to the young lady was that we were BOTH fisherman and spoke a universal language. Had a great time. Didn't matter a whit whether we caught fish or not.

It's a Zen thing you probably wouldn't understand Ms. WB.

Senor RT. With each snippet you become more intriguing.

Love your gifs even when the iPad blocks them I use my imagination and laugh my as off at the empty screen. Yeah, I know, I need help. :)

So true!!! It more fun being out.

It's a Zen thing you probably wouldn't understand Ms. WB.

Wifey B: I understand Zen, but don't understand the pleasure in fishing if you don't catch any fish. :nonono:

I don't profess to be a finishing fanatic. Now, I also do understand the value of electric reels which is what led me to post in this thread, seeing as how they were being overlooked completely. ;)

A sportsman can argue that electric reel fishing is really "harvesting".

So now we can debate whether sportsmen are a subset of fishermen or vice versa....or are harvesters a subset of ?????

Greetings,
Ms. WB. " I understand Zen, but don't understand the pleasure in fishing if you don't catch any fish." I told you you wouldn't understand.

Why do some women enjoy the "pleasure" (dubious) of shopping if they don't buy anything (rare).
Why do some people enjoy going for a walk if they just end up where they started from?
Why do some people enjoy watching sports? They're not involved other than as an observer. They gain nothing unless they've placed wagers on the outcome. It makes absolutely no difference in their personal lives if their team wins or loses. They've probably never met any of the players. They've probably never even played the sport. THAT, I don't understand.

Greetings,
Ms. WB. " I understand Zen, but don't understand the pleasure in fishing if you don't catch any fish." I told you you wouldn't understand.

Why do some women enjoy the "pleasure" (dubious) of shopping if they don't buy anything (rare).
Why do some people enjoy going for a walk if they just end up where they started from?
Why do some people enjoy watching sports? They're not involved other than as an observer. They gain nothing unless they've placed wagers on the outcome. It makes absolutely no difference in their personal lives if their team wins or loses. They've probably never met any of the players. They've probably never even played the sport. THAT, I don't understand.

Wifey B: Then clearly you don't understand Zen. :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom