Fire Extinguishers Expiration Date

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
So I didn't know this until I was wrote up in the survey.

Do you know how to check for an expiration date on your fire extinguisher? It appeared I didn't even know of this

Most of us have these types of extinguisher. Every year we shake them, look at the gauge and good to go right?

WRONG! Look at the bottom of the extinguisher. That is your expiration date.:dance:

Attachments

• 20200323_130115.jpg
    20200323_130115.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 20200323_130124.jpg
    20200323_130124.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 88

Do you know how to check for an expiration date on your fire extinguisher? It appeared I didn't even know of this

Most of us have these types of extinguisher. Every year we shake them, look at the gauge and good to go right?

WRONG! Look at the bottom of the extinguisher. That is your expiration date.:dance:
Those are the throw away, non rechargeable ones. Wonder how many years earlier it was sold. Yes, back in the day I was inspecting boats for CCGA and we would shake them and if compacted told owner to get recharged. When did the new rule come into place, now I am told by surveyor they must be tested annually by fire company and re tagged. Over 5? years, they are garbage.

Just looked at my identical Kidde extinguisher. Expired in 2005..... DOH!

The throwaway ones are good for 12 years from manufacture or when used. The halon builtin ones do need to be certified each year by a fire extinguisher company. I take mine out and have to take it 2.5 hours away for certification. The certification is a visual inspection and then they weigh it. It will have a weight range on it and the extinguisher must be in the range to be good. The reason for weighing it is you can not tell if the extinguisher has leaked. The place I took mine didn’t really know what to do to certify it so I told them. A friend had a boat that was sold last summer and he asked me to be there to represent him during the survey. The surveyor said that his was the first boat in 20+ years that the halon was in date for the certification. Most people don’t do the certification, should they, yes but most don’t.

As to the throwaway Kidde extinguishers, if they have a plastic valve, they have almost certainly been recalled. Kidde replaced 7 of mine, some were old and out of date. Some were due to expire last year so I got them all replaced for free. If you have Kidde disposable extinguishers you should check on the recall and you will probably get new ones for free.

Ok so now I am confused. Is the date on the bottom an expiration date or a manufacture date. I just left Wal mart and all theirs are marked 2020.

So what is the right anwser?

As far as I know these are still current.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums...6213-0b530bd44091c0b4519310a84d5193f2b8754df0

PORTABLE FIRE EXTINGUISHER INSPECTION AND MAINTENANCE FAQ
Where can I find the requirements for inspection and maintenance of portable fire extinguishers?
All USCG approved portable fire extinguishers have a statement on the label that the extinguisher is to be inspected and maintained in accordance with NFPA 10.
The NFPA 10 requirement is consistent with long-standing standard industry practice in the US (shoreside and marine). It is a means to ensure that the appropriate DOT requirements for pressure vessels and EPA requirements as applicable to portable fire extinguishers are addressed. The reliance on NFPA 10 was fully vetted in the 1994 rulemaking process for 46 CFR Subchapters T and K (however, recent changes to NFPA 10 have caused some confusion concerning the training necessary to perform the inspections and the maintenance).
What are the “inspections” required by NFPA 10?
The “inspections” listed in NFPA 10 are a quick check of the extinguisher’s condition to verify that it is in operating condition. The inspections are to be performed monthly by the vessel owner, operator or designated person in charge. The inspections are intended to verify that the extinguisher has not been damaged, and the extinguisher is full and has not been partially discharged.
What is the ”maintenance” required by NFPA 10?
Maintenance is thorough check of the extinguisher’s condition, which involves a complete check of all mechanical parts, the extinguishing agent, and the pressurizing agent. Maintenance is to be conducted at intervals not exceeding one year, or whenever an inspection indicates a deficiency in the extinguisher’s condition. Since maintenance may involve disassembling the extinguisher, replacing parts, performing repairs or recharging, it should be done by individuals that have been specifically trained and have the necessary equipment, manufacturer's servicing manuals, and recommended replacement parts.
What training is required for extinguisher maintenance?
Certification or licensing by the state or local jurisdiction as a fire extinguisher servicing agency should be required for annual maintenance of extinguishers with one exception. There are a number of approved small extinguishers that are not intended to be recharged (typically B-I rated extinguishers). The fire extinguisher label will clearly state that the extinguisher is non-refillable or non-rechargeable and is to be removed from service at a maximum interval of 12 years from the date of manufacture. Because these units cannot be recharged, the annual maintenance requirements do not require disassembly of the extinguisher. Due to the special responsibility of the owner or operator of a vessel for the safety of the crew and vessel, the USCG considers that the annual maintenance for non-rechargeable extinguishers may be performed by those designated by the owner or operator. Thus, a qualified servicing agency is not required for maintenance of non- rechargeable extinguishers. However, a record of maintenance must be available for the use of the Coast Guard inspector.
What does maintenance of a non-rechargeable extinguisher entail?
The following items should be included in the annual maintenance of non-rechargeable portable extinguishers:
1. Verify that 12 years has not lapsed from the manufacture date marked on the extinguisher.
2. Check that the pressure gage or pressure indicator is in the operable range. If there is no gage or indicator, verify the weight or fullness of the unit.
3. Verify there is no physical damage to the extinguisher, discharge hose (if provided) and bracket.
4. Check for missing or broken safety seals or tamper indicators.
5. Examine the extinguisher for obvious signs of corrosion, leakage or clogged discharge nozzle.
If any deficiencies other than the bracket are noted, the non-rechargeable extinguisher should be replaced. A damaged bracket should be replaced. The replacement bracket must be a bracket listed as approved for use with that extinguisher.
(Nothing in the above should be viewed as superseding any additional requirements specified in 46 CFR Subchapters K and T or elsewhere in the CFR.)

March 25, 2010

Last edited:
Where did you get the 12 years from? ABYC and/or NFPA 10?
The throwaway ones are good for 12 years from manufacture or when used. The halon builtin ones do need to be certified each year by a fire extinguisher company. I take mine out and have to take it 2.5 hours away for certification. The certification is a visual inspection and then they weigh it. It will have a weight range on it and the extinguisher must be in the range to be good. The reason for weighing it is you can not tell if the extinguisher has leaked. The place I took mine didn’t really know what to do to certify it so I told them. A friend had a boat that was sold last summer and he asked me to be there to represent him during the survey. The surveyor said that his was the first boat in 20+ years that the halon was in date for the certification. Most people don’t do the certification, should they, yes but most don’t.

As to the throwaway Kidde extinguishers, if they have a plastic valve, they have almost certainly been recalled. Kidde replaced 7 of mine, some were old and out of date. Some were due to expire last year so I got them all replaced for free. If you have Kidde disposable extinguishers you should check on the recall and you will probably get new ones for free.

Ok I posted too soon. So 3 questions:

Does ABYC accept the NFP standard?

Year stamped on the bottom an expiration or manufacture date?

Plastic handle are recalled?
As far as I know these are still current.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums...6213-0b530bd44091c0b4519310a84d5193f2b8754df0

Where can I find the requirements for inspection and maintenance of portable fire extinguishers?
All USCG approved portable fire extinguishers have a statement on the label that the extinguisher is to be inspected and maintained in accordance with NFPA 10.
The NFPA 10 requirement is consistent with long-standing standard industry practice in the US (shoreside and marine). It is a means to ensure that the appropriate DOT requirements for pressure vessels and EPA requirements as applicable to portable fire extinguishers are addressed. The reliance on NFPA 10 was fully vetted in the 1994 rulemaking process for 46 CFR Subchapters T and K (however, recent changes to NFPA 10 have caused some confusion concerning the training necessary to perform the inspections and the maintenance).
What are the “inspections” required by NFPA 10?
The “inspections” listed in NFPA 10 are a quick check of the extinguisher’s condition to verify that it is in operating condition. The inspections are to be performed monthly by the vessel owner, operator or designated person in charge. The inspections are intended to verify that the extinguisher has not been damaged, and the extinguisher is full and has not been partially discharged.
What is the ”maintenance” required by NFPA 10?
Maintenance is thorough check of the extinguisher’s condition, which involves a complete check of all mechanical parts, the extinguishing agent, and the pressurizing agent. Maintenance is to be conducted at intervals not exceeding one year, or whenever an inspection indicates a deficiency in the extinguisher’s condition. Since maintenance may involve disassembling the extinguisher, replacing parts, performing repairs or recharging, it should be done by individuals that have been specifically trained and have the necessary equipment, manufacturer's servicing manuals, and recommended replacement parts.
Certification or licensing by the state or local jurisdiction as a fire extinguisher servicing agency should be required for annual maintenance of extinguishers with one exception. There are a number of approved small extinguishers that are not intended to be recharged (typically B-I rated extinguishers). The fire extinguisher label will clearly state that the extinguisher is non-refillable or non-rechargeable and is to be removed from service at a maximum interval of 12 years from the date of manufacture. Because these units cannot be recharged, the annual maintenance requirements do not require disassembly of the extinguisher. Due to the special responsibility of the owner or operator of a vessel for the safety of the crew and vessel, the USCG considers that the annual maintenance for non-rechargeable extinguishers may be performed by those designated by the owner or operator. Thus, a qualified servicing agency is not required for maintenance of non- rechargeable extinguishers. However, a record of maintenance must be available for the use of the Coast Guard inspector.
The following items should be included in the annual maintenance of non-rechargeable portable extinguishers:
1. Verify that 12 years has not lapsed from the manufacture date marked on the extinguisher.
2. Check that the pressure gage or pressure indicator is in the operable range. If there is no gage or indicator, verify the weight or fullness of the unit.
3. Verify there is no physical damage to the extinguisher, discharge hose (if provided) and bracket.
5. Examine the extinguisher for obvious signs of corrosion, leakage or clogged discharge nozzle.
If any deficiencies other than the bracket are noted, the non-rechargeable extinguisher should be replaced. A damaged bracket should be replaced. The replacement bracket must be a bracket listed as approved for use with that extinguisher.
(Nothing in the above should be viewed as superseding any additional requirements specified in 46 CFR Subchapters K and T or elsewhere in the CFR.)

March 25, 2010

Ok so now I am confused. Is the date on the bottom an expiration date or a manufacture date. I just left Wal mart and all theirs are marked 2020.

If you look at the bottom left hand corner of the label the is a " Made in the USA" and a year. The year is the same as the date stamped on the bottom. ITS just above the yellow ABC marking.

What was the Wallmart price?

If you look at the bottom left hand corner of the label the is a " Made in the USA" and a year. The year is the same as the date stamped on the bottom. ITS just above the yellow ABC marking.

What was the Wallmart price?

Mine say "Made in Mexico!" See comments below.

Wal-Mart 3lb is $17.97 each. If you order more than $30 worth free shipping.

My Apology

It appears that I started this thread without fully researching the subject matter.

I called Kidde at (800) 880-6788.

The number on the bottom is the "Date of Manufacture" not the expiration date. All of mine say 2015.

Then they wanted the Model Number, color of the extinguisher and the serial number and date of manufacture.

Well what do you know all 5 of my extinguishers are on the recall list. Within 10-days I will receive 5 new ones and I have to send the old ones back. All shipping is free.

Stamped date is of manufacture. Expiration date is 12 years forward.

Well our surveyor claimed it was 5 years.

So I took your earlier post(shorten it) to high lighted a few things, which I will check when I get my new ones:

A. Does the new labels have a label stating the maximum of a 12 year interval from date of manufacture?

B. Do you keep an annual record of maintenance?

C. Does ABYC accept NFPA 10 as the guiding factor with portable fire extinguishers? Does anyone know the ABYC language or cite?

I am pretty pleased. Thanks everyone for the input as I would have never known without asking the TF family!!:smitten::thumb:

March 25, 2010

Certification or licensing by the state or local jurisdiction as a fire extinguisher servicing agency should be required for annual maintenance of extinguishers with one exception. There are a number of approved small extinguishers that are not intended to be recharged (typically B-I rated extinguishers). The fire extinguisher label will clearly state that the extinguisher is non-refillable or non-rechargeable and is to be removed from service at a maximum interval of 12 years from the date of manufacture. Because these units cannot be recharged, the annual maintenance requirements do not require disassembly of the extinguisher. Due to the special responsibility of the owner or operator of a vessel for the safety of the crew and vessel, the USCG considers that the annual maintenance for non-rechargeable extinguishers may be performed by those designated by the owner or operator. However, a record of maintenance must be available for the use of the Coast Guard inspector.

2. Check that the pressure gauge or pressure indicator is in the operable range. If there is no gauge or indicator, verify the weight or fullness of the unit.

The recall is a really good deal. I am surprised that you didn’t see it last year. There were several threads dealing with it. But anyway you will get some free extinguishers now. I got mine through Fedex and they included instructions to get Fedex to pick up the old ones. Maybe you can update your surveyor about the 12 years...

The recall is a really good deal. I am surprised that you didn’t see it last year. There were several threads dealing with it. But anyway you will get some free extinguishers now. I got mine through Fedex and they included instructions to get Fedex to pick up the old ones. Maybe you can update your surveyor about the 12 years...

Thanks. The threads I missed. Could have been while I was "off grid."

I am going back to the surveyor, but I would like to have the ABYC and NFPA reference. I can find the NFPA 10 but little harder with ABYC. Some here at TF know ABYC members. What would be the reference for 12 years?

As an aside

As a BTW....
Wallmart has Kidde model 10 for $17.97. These are calcium carbonate BC rated extinguishers. You would never want to toggle one off on your boat as dry chemical is VERY hard to clean up.(edit, after reading the ABYC reference in the next post, BC extinguishers are not acceptable)

The West Marine Kidde 110 that I linked in an above post for $52.49 a pair is ammonium phosphate. ABC rated. Better for marine use I think.

Since mine are 20 years old now I will be biting the bullet and buying them from West Marine today. (hey, they looked newer at a glance. Guess I should look at my flares now too huh? Total slacker.:facepalm: )

Last edited:
Thanks. The threads I missed. Could have been while I was "off grid."

I am going back to the surveyor, but I would like to have the ABYC and NFPA reference. I can find the NFPA 10 but little harder with ABYC. Some here at TF know ABYC members. What would be the reference for 12 years?

ABYC A-4 attached

Attachments

• A-4 Fire Fighting Equip.pdf
    405.5 KB · Views: 72

Date on the bottom is manufacture date, NOT expiration date. That way, if rules or regs change, the date is still pertinent. Kidde replaced three extinguishers for me free of charge. Personally, I like Halon 1301 and CO2 fire extinguishers. They work well, and don't destroy what hasn't been damaged by the fire. You can use with impunity on electrical systems with no damage from extinguishing agent. Dry chemical destroys aluminum, and electrical equipment. Plus of Dry Chem is that it is persistent, so if fire reignites, agent will still help to reduce the fire.

Dry chem is cheap and inexpensive unless you use them . . . and then they turn out to be REALLY expensive!:D

ABYC A-4 attached

Thank you. So it would appear that ABYC does not address the expiration date of a portable fire extinguisher.

So then we have to look at USCG regulations. Which also do not address the expiration of fire extinguishers.

NFPA 10 (2018) does at 7.3.6.3 describes the requirement to remove them after 12 years.

Date on the bottom is manufacture date, NOT expiration date. That way, if rules or regs change, the date is still pertinent. Kidde replaced three extinguishers for me free of charge. Personally, I like Halon 1301 and CO2 fire extinguishers. They work well, and don't destroy what hasn't been damaged by the fire. You can use with impunity on electrical systems with no damage from extinguishing agent. Dry chemical destroys aluminum, and electrical equipment. Plus of Dry Chem is that it is persistent, so if fire reignites, agent will still help to reduce the fire.

Dry chem is cheap and inexpensive unless you use them . . . and then they turn out to be REALLY expensive!:D

You are correct.

Thank you. So it would appear that ABYC does not address the expiration date of a portable fire extinguisher.

So then we have to look at USCG regulations. Which also do not address the expiration of fire extinguishers.

NFPA 10 (2018) does at 7.3.6.3 describes the requirement to remove them after 12 years.
Them manufacturers, or rather, the governing body of the pressure vessels, address the expiration. They don't "expire" exactly but are required to be hydrostaticly tested and recertified as a pressure vessel, then refilled. A 2 or 2 1/2 pounder probably costs more than it is worth to retest. A CO2 extinguisher must be done at 5 years IIRC.

Them manufacturers, or rather, the governing body of the pressure vessels, address the expiration. They don't "expire" exactly but are required to be hydrostaticly tested and recertified as a pressure vessel, then refilled. A 2 or 2 1/2 pounder probably costs more than it is worth to retest. A CO2 extinguisher must be done at 5 years IIRC.

Except one time use fire extinguishers. They are dis-guarded after 12 years.

Surveyor's Response

So would this upset you?:eek:

So I sent the following to my surveyor:

Hi David,

This is just FYI.

I started to dig into the portable fire extinguishers and the expiration date. What I found was this.

ABYC does not address expiration dates of portable extinguishers.
USCG also does not address expiration dates.

Therefore the only one that does address expiration dates is NFPA 10, section 7.3.6.3.

According to NFPA the expiration is 12 years after the manufacture date.
None of the above requires or recommends that fire extinguishers be mounted horizontally. A USCG Auxiliary suggested it to me, which make sense if I have the room.

My fire extinguishers were manufactured in 2015, so they would expire in 2027.

It just so happens that these particular fire extinguishers had been recalled by the manufacture Kidde. They are shipping me new fire extinguishers at no cost to me.

I am not trying to criticize you or your ability to conduct a fair survey.

Have a great summer.

Tom

His Response:

Thanks. The information I received about replacing the fire extinguishers was by the pro technician at Huser fire whom weighs and certifies them. Not abyc and not nfpa. They recommend the replacement of the plastic head units because the potential of plastic degradation and failure. Metallic nozzeled units are 12 years of service before they are no longer serviceable. I don't always follow abyc standard because it doesn't always apply to real world situations, and sometimes it's flat out unreasonable. Sometimes the guide line does.

Periodicty of extinguisher maintenance requirung disassembly as per Tables 7.3.3.1 and table 8.3.1 of NFPA 10-2018.

CO2 5 year internal inspection/ 5 year hydro

Dry chemical 6 years internal inspection/ 12 year hydro (unless SS shell, then 5 year hydro)

Halon 6 years internal inspection/12 year hydro.

Annual servicing does not require disassembly as per NFPA Formal Interpretation 2013.

However annual servicing does have to be done by a person trained IAW 7.1.2.1 and 7.1.2.2. (Which is BS in my opinion, as it is essentially the same as a monthly inspection. Follow the $)

There are lots more types of extinguisher requirements. Hit me up if you have any unusual extiguishers. AFFF, PKP, etc.

Note NFPA 10 was revised in 2013 and 2018. Many of the posts in this thread discuss NFPA 10-2010...

Kiddie recall

The extinguishers with the plastic handle have been recalled by Kidde. Even if they are out of date, they can be returned to the company for an exchange. I got six new ones, home and boat. Go on the website and get the email address of the gentleman that handles the exchanges.

Didn’t they have a recall on these a few years back

Seems to me that a few years back, kiddie recalled all extinguishers that had a plastic nozzle. I got five replace for free.

Gordon

Fire extinguisher expiration.

The date on the bottom IS NOT the expiration date. It is the year of manufacture. The recommended expiration is 12 years from year of manufacture per NFPA guidance.

The plastic handle valve on Kidde fire extinguishers is under recall. Go to their website and fill out the requested data and they’ll confirm the unit is recalled and send a new unit with a metal valve, and a return label to get the defective one back.

I checked mine on board when the recall first came out. One was okay and the other was a recall. All the ones in the shop were okay. Today I was working in the area above my shop and noticed the extinguisher next to the stove. Sure enough it's in the recall. Filled out the online form. Thanks for the link above.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom