Finally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lollygag1

Guru
Vessel Name
Lollygag
Vessel Make
34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
Good news
Engine is finally back together. New oil cooler, after cooler and heat exchanger pressure tested etc ran it up to temp no leaks. We are ready to roll.

Bummer news
Weather is complete crap for the weekend, heavy rain and wind and cold so staying tied up.

Plan B
Started this afternoon by grabbing the clam rake and digging 20lbs of bi-valves. So will make chowder and stuffies.

Hopefully this is the end of my boat isssues

Our weather here is horrible too. Under 40 degrees and blowing about 30.

The "end of your boat issues?" Now that there is funny; I don't care what anyone says. Maybe THIS issue......

Ok this issue. Ha ha

Yep. You don't ever get to avoid boat issues, even after you've sold it. Because then you spend time reminiscing, and wishing you had another one. Ask me how I know... :D

The bad weather in the NE now extends through the holiday. Glad I got out during the week at least. Good idea on the stuffies, gives me something to do today.

Thats a good one, "The end of your problems"

Up here in the Midwest (Wisconsin) we had heavy frost last night. They say to not plant any garden plants until June 1. We have been burned in the past. Covered everything last night but will have to wait a while to see if they survived.

pete

Down here, that nasty weather front for you yankees is blowing in clear skies, light winds and low humidity, pluperfect weather for the invitation we got to run out to the barrier island tomorrow to enjoy live music from atop a houseboat and free food. Win, win, win.

Yup, everything is cooked and shucked. Making up a big pot of chowda and Portugese stuffies

Decided to try a new recipe and am putting the clam bellies on the smoker along with the bacon then will make the chowder.

My recipes change most every time I make something depending on my mood. Attached is what wife and I made today. Quite a bit of work from scratch. Usually I top with a piece of raw bacon, this time I cooked more bacon and added to the stuffing. Waiting for wife to finish bath so I can pop them in the oven. Made 2 sizes this time, dinner and app. (mouth is now watering!) Plenty of leftovers which is a great thing!

Attachments

• clams.jpg
    clams.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 28
Down here, that nasty weather front for you yankees is blowing in clear skies, light winds and low humidity, pluperfect weather for the invitation we got to run out to the barrier island tomorrow to enjoy live music from atop a houseboat and free food. Win, win, win.

Your win is our loss. We are looking at rain probably through Monday as well. Food and drinks and movies, replacing boating this weekend. :mad:

Love me some stuffies. Aptly described as seafood meatloaf in an ashtray

Our nasty weather finally cleared up. It's a bit cool, but the wind has died down, skies are blue, etc. We already took Tuesday off to preserve the long weekend, so it's time to load up the boat and go!

No such luck in CT. Rain today and part of Monday at least. Might have to start looking at the following weekend before it's really nice again.

I grew up on the CT shore but I don't ever remember calling them stuffies. They were simply stuffed clams. Had to be in Quahog clam shells. Often frozen, from Matlaws. We used to be able to get them here in SD but not for the last few years for some reason. We can get thick-shelled live clams here but they're always small, called cherrystone clams. Just not the same. There is one hardware store here though that oddly sells Foxon Park soda, and we can get B&M baked beans, so at least there's that.

I grew up on the CT shore but I don't ever remember calling them stuffies. They were simply stuffed clams. Had to be in Quahog clam shells. Often frozen, from Matlaws. We used to be able to get them here in SD but not for the last few years for some reason. We can get thick-shelled live clams here but they're always small, called cherrystone clams. Just not the same. There is one hardware store here though that oddly sells Foxon Park soda, and we can get B&M baked beans, so at least there's that.

Thanks, same experience as me. Never really called them stuffies, I think that's more of a RI or MA term. But you can't compare the frozen ones to freshly made. I was spoiled in that my uncle owned an oyster boat in CT and would occasionally bring by a 50lb bag of Quahogs and my mom would make stuffed clams and chowder with them. This is the first time I mixed in some cherrystones. They are a sweeter tasting clam and I thought they would make for some good apps on the boat.

Definitely a RI term. I prefer mine with some spicy Chorizo. The cherry stones I save to go on a pizza with pesto base and shrimp.

Just cooked up the Chowda. I am going to gain 10 lbs this weekend.

Ugh, you guys and your clam pizza. I spent many a summer night on Wooster Street but I never have gotten the clam pizza thing. Sorry Flo, sorry Frank. I'm a purist. Sauce and mozz only.

Ugh, you guys and your clam pizza. I spent many a summer night on Wooster Street but I never have gotten the clam pizza thing. Sorry Flo, sorry Frank. I'm a purist. Sauce and mozz only.

Don't you mean scamotz? I think that was more of a bridgeport/stratford term. I'm a purist but it's hard to beat a good white clam or seafood pie.

Ah yes, B&M baked beans. Fry up some onion pieces, then some bacon pieces, (dont over cook the onions or bacon) add in some butter and brown sugar and if you wish some cider vinegar. Stir in all the above, simmer until you can't wait any longer (at least 15 minutes) then, dig in.
BUT, gotta start with B&M baked beans!!!
It is even good if you serve them over a slide of bread.

The first part of the pandemic all the B&M baked bean were G-O-N-E. Lucky me I had 2 cans onboard. Now, the grocery store supply is slowly coming back. I think some folks are buying to renew their stash they ate during the first part of the pandemic. :D :whistling:

Last edited:
Don't you mean scamotz? I think that was more of a bridgeport/stratford term. I'm a purist but it's hard to beat a good white clam or seafood pie.

Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Ugh, you guys and your clam pizza. I spent many a summer night on Wooster Street but I never have gotten the clam pizza thing. Sorry Flo, sorry Frank. I'm a purist. Sauce and mozz only

You guys are talking my language here.....

Mozz (Mozzarella) and scamotz (Scamorza) are two related, but different cheeses. Fresh mozzarella in the top pic and Scamorza (smoked in this case) on the bottom.
Both appropriate on classic pies and we make them both. Eat hearty!

Attachments

• Fresh group white study.jpg
    Fresh group white study.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Smoked Scamorza1.jpg
    Smoked Scamorza1.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 81
Thanks Bill for making me hungry! Looks good! I have visitors from FL arriving today for a couple days. I was thinking of taking them to New Haven for some world renown pizza. Might even include a white clam pie, which traditionally contains no mozz. FL knows very little about clams or pizza.

Shrimp and clam pizza w pesto base on the menu for tonight. I meat the mechanic first thing in the morning to do a sea trial on the retooled engine and a final check check down inspection. Barring any unforeseen gremlins we will be good to go starting this weekend and have already made our plans for the first BI trip.

Wish me luck.

Shrimp and clam pizza w pesto base on the menu for tonight. I meat the mechanic first thing in the morning to do a sea trial on the retooled engine and a final check check down inspection. Barring any unforeseen gremlins we will be good to go starting this weekend and have already made our plans for the first BI trip.

Wish me luck.

Best of luck and good weather predicted for this weekend. What exactly was done to the engine? I think we will skip BI this year but will hit some points East if all goes well this summer. Maybe see you around.

New hoses, new oil cooler, aftercooler and heat exchanger cleaned, new gaskets and o-rings installed, everything pressure tested, new impeller, fuel filters and cleaned and addressed any corrosion plus other items. They then suggested a sea trial to check for any issues that may pop up. We will go out and run hard for a bit then they will climb back in and check. The oil cooler was the only unexpected item.

We are going to BI race week as a few friends are participating and the after race parties are fun. PM if you are coming to Narragansett Bay we will be Lollygagging somewhere.

New hoses, new oil cooler, aftercooler and heat exchanger cleaned, new gaskets and o-rings installed, everything pressure tested, new impeller, fuel filters and cleaned and addressed any corrosion plus other items. They then suggested a sea trial to check for any issues that may pop up. We will go out and run hard for a bit then they will climb back in and check. The oil cooler was the only unexpected item.

We are going to BI race week as a few friends are participating and the after race parties are fun. PM if you are coming to Narragansett Bay we will be Lollygagging somewhere.

Will do thanks. We've never been much farther East than BI by boat so would like to do Newport, maybe MV, who knows. I don't usually make very detailed plans far in advance, but would be fun to spend some time out your way for a change. Good luck with the sea trial, let us know how it works out. Kind of nasty day tomorrow no?

Back
Top Bottom