Engine Compartment Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SBriggi

Vessel Name
Mermaid's Dream
Vessel Make
Bruckmann 29.9 Blue Star
Bruckmann 29.9 is a well designed and built boat, however, the lighting in the engine compartment seems like an after thought. After a couple of summers, it came up as a priority this fall. I chose HD led strip lights mounted to painted cedar strips which I bonded around the perimeter of the engine compartment.
Worked out great-only issue is I now need sunglasses when I do engine work!

Last edited:
Someone might ask "any pictures?" to which i would answer "yes, of course" unfortunately I simply can't figure out how to post them...

Go to the Forum home page. There is a How to use the Forum section. In there is a sticky thread on how to post photos.

Hint on attaching pictures. Using the "picture" icon, inexplicably, doesn't work (unless the picture is already online). You must use the "paperclip" icon which brings up a separate dialog box.

But wait......there's more. When replying to a thread and you want to attach a picture, the paperclip icon is hidden. You must go to "Advanced" mode, a button beneath the text input field.

As you can tell, the engine TF uses is not always intuitive. You've done nothing wrong.

Peter

Thanks for the direction on up loading...attached is the lighting!

Cheers!

Attachments

• Engine Compartment Lighting.jpg
    Engine Compartment Lighting.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 130
Thanks for the direction on up loading...attached is the lighting!

Cheers!

Sweet!! I have done the same in our 30' trawler. It makes going down in the pit a bit of joy being able to navigate the otherwise dark confines. Good job:flowers:

You got that right Al! It took 5x longer than expected and I have to admit I questioned myself many times during this time, but looking back, I should have done it sooner!

Based on your photo that is one heck of a nice job. I wished all the engine compartments I had to climb in were so well lit up.

Let add one thing though not related to your excellent lighting job and that is your lower legs. Yes I know as a former surveyor I just automatically find something negative but it’s not personal. Anyway I would think about gluing up some ‘ Soundown ‘ or similar product to those hatches. Plus a good anti-vibration mat at the helm. I mention this from years of talking with lobster fishermen in Maine plus State of Maine Fishery Dept that bought four new General Marine patrol boats and all of the fish cops were complaining about sore fatigued legs at the end of their shifts. It was found that engine vibrations were causing the problem. These boats also had the engine room directly below the helm station. After installing insulation and mats the problem went away.

Rick

Nice job, and no more crawling around the engine with a flashlight!

Starboard Side Engine Bay.JPG

True, but maintenance, troubleshooting and modifications are sooo much easier when everything is so well lit.

Do all those spring clamps mean you used adhesive to mount the cedar strips to the engine room ceiling? That should solve a couple questions I have about my own engine room lighting problem.

My boat has vapor proof industrial type light fixtures with fluorescent bulbs. One bulb went out and I tried to replace it with a standard 18in bulb. It wouldn't fit. I did some investigation and found that the correct bulb for these fixtures cost $50! That fixture was replaced with an LED "vapor proof" light from Lowes for less than $50. I will do the same with the other fixtures when the bulbs go.

Wow. I have two built-in utility lights in my engine bay and thought I was doing well. Still have to hold a mini flashlight in my teeth or wear a headlamp. After seeing those pictures - oh great, another project on my to-do list. Thanks a lot.

Upgraded engine room lights go a long way. Not having to bring a drop light or flashlight down to do every little task makes things much easier, plus having lots of well distributed light just makes it easier to see what you're doing in general.

My boat started with a pair of dim, 12v incandescent bulbs. I replaced one with a much brighter 12v LED bulb, removed the other fixture, and added 3 very bright, wide angle LED lights. So I've got light outboard of each engine as well as centered in the forward and aft areas. I might still add smaller lights in a few spots, but the remaining dim spots are rarely an issue at this point.

IMG_8003.jpg

I upgraded the rather anemic DC lighting in Kaos engine room to LED strip lights, but the newer COB or chip on board strips. I've started using these in other installs both aboard Kaos and on a few customer boats. They present a tube of consistent light that provides a huge improvement over individual LEDs on a strip in terms of consistency.

View attachment 133831

I upgraded the rather anemic DC lighting in Kaos engine room to LED strip lights, but the newer COB or chip on board strips. I've started using these in other installs both aboard Kaos and on a few customer boats. They present a tube of consistent light that provides a huge improvement over individual LEDs on a strip in terms of consistency.

Can you supply a source for these LED light strips?

Steve ,Any COB mfg’s you prefer ? With so many choices it’s a crap shoot what to install.

I looked at them. They are 16.4’ long. If you cut them can you use the off cut piece? The directions didn’t address this. Or if you cut them is the left over piece just trash?

I looked at them. They are 16.4’ long. If you cut them can you use the off cut piece? The directions didn’t address this. Or if you cut them is the left over piece just trash?
Dave
Take a look at the photos as they show the details.
The cut length apparently depends on whether 12V or 24V.
You will have to solder new leads on cut segments. I've done that with similarstrip leds and it's pretty easy. Best to add a dab of epoxy or silicone where the leads are soldered on for some added strength & protection.
Screenshot_20221119_142246_Chrome.jpg

Ok, I have not used this type of LEDs before. I need to do something for lighting in our engine room, this may be it.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1622928367797.jpg
    FB_IMG_1622928367797.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom