Old 06-30-2018, 02:09 PM   #41
Guru

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
I grew up on a farm. We fixed almost everything ourselves, and serviced our diesel and gas tractors, and did a lot of repara, ourselves. It has come in handy owning boats!

Old 07-04-2018, 02:10 PM   #42

City: San Pedro
108 year old house, built 5 small wooden boats, fix everything I can for the satisfaction, job quality, and $ saved. I come by this naturally. When cleaning out my Mom's house, I found three cigar boxes in the kitchen. One labeled 'long string', one 'short string', one 'string too short to use'.

My son-in-law, in a moment of insight, recently told my daughter 'when your Dad passes, we're going to have A LOT of stuff to get rid of'. I still laugh.

Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:15 PM   #43

City: SOBX North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Magic View Post
108 year old house, built 5 small wooden boats, fix everything I can for the satisfaction, job quality, and $ saved. I come by this naturally. When cleaning out my Mom's house, I found three cigar boxes in the kitchen. One labeled 'long string', one 'short string', one 'string too short to use'.

My son-in-law, in a moment of insight, recently told my daughter 'when your Dad passes, we're going to have A LOT of stuff to get rid of'. I still laugh.
Yep, my kids have been telling me the same thing. But the sad part of it for my kids is that I am attempting to use up all of the good stuff by marathon building before I finally "retire".

So the "stuff" that they will have to deal will be a slight headache with will be useless scraps, literally, not stuff that will build a smaller boat. I built a 20 foot boat and then from the leftover stuff after using the number one stuff I built a second one three feet longer and modified my building method so that the cut off sticks could be used.

But as it relates to people living on a farm, for sure the folks rarely had a choice of calling someone else to fix stuff. One of the best skills that the younger generation is not taking up now was welding. There is a ton of money in it these days for the few folks doing it by comparison of many other professions of working with your hands. And there is a difference in welds across a wide variety of welders.
Scratchnsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:59 AM   #44
Guru

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchnsaw View Post
One of the best skills that the younger generation is not taking up now was welding. There is a ton of money in it these days for the few folks doing it by comparison of many other professions of working with your hands. And there is a difference in welds across a wide variety of welders.
One of my best friend’s father died last year at 90. He was a master welder since 1946, and could weld anything, anyway, gas, arc, everything, (even certified to weld nuclear submarines). He would do all our welding. At his funeral his son and I both lamented the fact that we had never asked him to teach us more than the very basics of welding.