carver 36 pump out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keith c

Vessel Name
Princess M
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 34
A friend just purchased a 2004 carver mariner with a single head and single black water tank. I have found a Y valve but have not found a thru hull connected to the black water hoses yet. The head is a vac type and there is a macerator attached to the head with a separate switch. We need to know the pump out procedure and is it is possible to discharge black water overboard and the procedure.

This isn't really a Carver specific concept.

• Section 312 of the Clean Water Act requires the use of operable, U.S. Coast Guard-certified marine sanitation devices (MSDs) onboard vessels that are
    equipped with installed toilets and operating on U.S. navigable waters.

• Untreated sewage discharges are prohibited within three miles from shore.

• In order to discharge within three miles, sewage must be treated using a U.S. Coast Guard-approved Type I or Type II MSD. Alternatively, sewage may be stored onboard in a holding tank (Type III MSD).

• Treated and untreated sewage discharges are prohibited in:

• Freshwater lakes, reservoirs and other freshwater impoundments whole inlets or outlets are such as to prevent the ingress or egress by vessel traffic.

• Rivers not capable of navigation by interstate vessel traffic.

• No-discharge zones (NDZs) (as applicable).

• In these areas, sewage effluent generally must be retained onboard in a holding tank (Type III MSD). Operators of vessels equipped with flow-through MSDs (Type I or Type II) must secure the device to prevent overboard discharge.

What are the sewage discharge regulations/requirements in the United States?

As for the discharge. The vacuflush should go into a vacuum generator, then into the holding tank. In many cases (most) the macerator discharges from the holding tank. Since you need the vacuum generator to flush you couldn't directly connect the macerator to the head.

The Y might divert the holding tank discharge from the pump out deck plate and the discharge macerator. On a Y valve, the handle usually indicates the discharge direction. I would assume the default would be Tank to pump out deck plate. You should be able to follow the discharge lines.

There may be a way to overboard discharge, but unless you are 3 miles out in the ocean, it’s illegal.
Carver specific questions.…I suggest going over to the Carver yacht owners website.

Many of Carver's boats especially in this size range were not setup with an overboard pump out due to the restrictions mentioned above. However, it should be pretty easy to follow the hoses and pump to see if it does. As others have said you have to go 3+ miles off shore to do it though.

I have a 2001 Carver and it is setup for overboard pump out, although I have never used it

A friend just purchased a 2004 carver mariner with a single head and single black water tank. I have found a Y valve but have not found a thru hull connected to the black water hoses yet. The head is a vac type and there is a macerator attached to the head with a separate switch. We need to know the pump out procedure and is it is possible to discharge black water overboard and the procedure.

If you can see the holding tank, you might be able to see the hose innies and outies.

Should be input from the toilet (via vacuum generator/pump).

Should be a vent outlet, usually smaller diameter hose. Might be a "charcoal" filter on that someplace between tank and hull outlet.

Could be two main outlets, larger diameter, one routed to a macerator for pumping overboard where legal to do so... and the other routed to a deck fitting for pump-out. These last two may start from very low on the tank... possibly a T fitting... but if you can find these, the second might lead you to the general vicinity of the deck fitting.

Another approach might be to survey the deck, identify all fittings (water inlet, fuel inlet, waste -- often identified as such on each cap) and the latter of those ought to be for black water pump out.

-Chris

There may be a way to overboard discharge, but unless you are 3 miles out in the ocean, it’s illegal.
Carver specific questions.…I suggest going over to the Carver yacht owners website.

This isn't Carver specific. There are only a handful of ways to configure a marine sanitation system. The parts are universal.

This would be like assuming the plumbing in a house by DR Horton is different than the plumbing in a house built by KB Homes.

This isn't Carver specific. There are only a handful of ways to configure a marine sanitation system. The parts are universal.

This would be like assuming the plumbing in a house by DR Horton is different than the plumbing in a house built by KB Homes.

I agree. Just letting the OP know there is a Carver owners website that should be checked out for Carver specific questions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom