Bolting solar panels through bimini

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dougcole

Guru
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
'05 Mainship 40T
Hi all,

A buddy of mine is using this method for attaching flexible solar panels to his sunbrella bimini. He through bolted through the fabric, not through the frame, using fender washers on each side. Three years in and it is doing fine, he says he isn't seeing any leaks. He did not reinforce the fabric with a disc of vinyl like they recommend in the below link.

I'm considering doing the same thing, except my bimini is Stamoid, not Sunbrella. I would use the vinyl reinforcment.

My bimini is in good shape, but it's 8 years old, so I don't really want to throw a lot of cash or labor at a sewing project for it. I am also considering some sort of Loxx type hardware.

Here is the link:

https://www.custommarineproducts.co...flexible-solar-panels-to-your-canvas#comments

Thoughts?

I like the idea. I just don't have the guts to poke holes in my brand new Sunbrella Bimini!

Take a peek at the pix in my album folder...
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/members/12066-albums628.html
I put stringers between the frame tubes, grommets in the bimini, then 1/4-20 fasteners through the stack. Load goes into the frame, not the fabric.
I get big winds here in the northwest and this setup has done well through some nasty blows. Also removes sag and puddling.

Take a peek at the pix in my album folder...
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/members/12066-albums628.html
I put stringers between the frame tubes, grommets in the bimini, then 1/4-20 fasteners through the stack. Load goes into the frame, not the fabric.
I get big winds here in the northwest and this setup has done well through some nasty blows. Also removes sag and puddling.

That's a super interesting idea. My bimini is really tight, so I don't think it will sag, but I could add these stringers in after the fact if needed.

Thanks for posting.

I used stitches through the bimini fabric and the panel grommet holes. Easy to do and worked great.

David

That's a super interesting idea. My bimini is really tight, so I don't think it will sag, but I could add these stringers in after the fact if needed.

Thanks for posting.

If you decide to go with stringers ping me and we can talk details of construction, save you some hassles.

Hi all,
A buddy of mine is using this method for attaching flexible solar panels to his sunbrella bimini. He through bolted through the fabric, not through the frame, using fender washers on each side. Three years in and it is doing fine, he says he isn't seeing any leaks. He did not reinforce the fabric with a disc of vinyl like they recommend in the below link.

I'd be concerned about the panels flexing too much too often reducing their life. They are flexible but not made for repeated flexing. I'd put some backing behind them (Multiwall Polycarbonate Sheet?) and mount that to the bimini, or add more of a frame beneath.

I'd be concerned about the panels flexing too much too often reducing their life. They are flexible but not made for repeated flexing. I'd put some backing behind them (Multiwall Polycarbonate Sheet?) and mount that to the bimini, or add more of a frame beneath.

Good point. But the flexing would come no matter how it was mounted on a bimini, correct?

My Bimini is stretched super tight, it doesnt flex much even in strong winds. Also I’m using these fiberglass “arch” panels from bouge rv, they are pretty stiff and are supposed to be more durable by being resistant to cracking. My main concern s the bimini tearing. Also leaks.

Here’s the panels:

https://www.bougerv.com/products/fiberglass-100-watt-solar-panel

With Stamoid when I sew on it I use basting tape where the stitches go. It is double sided sticky tape. When you sew through it, it helps seal up the stitch holes. Not perfect but much better than not. I get it from Sailrite. It also helps hold the pieces in place while you sew.

Good point. But the flexing would come no matter how it was mounted on a bimini, correct?

My Bimini is stretched super tight, it doesnt flex much even in strong winds. Also I’m using these fiberglass “arch” panels from bouge rv, they are pretty stiff and are supposed to be more durable by being resistant to cracking. My main concern s the bimini tearing. Also leaks.

Here’s the panels:

https://www.bougerv.com/products/fiberglass-100-watt-solar-panel

It definitely depends on the bimini. You also may find the bimini may get a bit looser with that weight on it. If you have multiple panels across from side to side that could be mounted together then having a more solid material to mount them on definitely reduces flexing and can spread out the attachment points better depending on the dimensions of the panels and bimini.

Some people are also concerned about heat from the panels and there have been cases of damaged(?) panels starting fires or burning the canvas. A little more spacing helps with that.

That said, lots of folks mount them directly on canvas and I do not know anything about the panels you reference and how they actually differ from others. I'd ask the manufacturer and ensure the warranty still applies mounted as you propose.

When I investigated this a few years ago there were a number of seemingly knowledgeable professionals who cautioned against mounting directly to canvas, but flexible panels may have advanced. I didn't save any references unfortunately.

May I suggest rare earth magnets. I know of at least two installations using them with no issues. Magnets are available with holes in them for bolting to the panel.

Was just on the Sailrite site and they have a podcast or video on installing flexible solar panels to a Bimini top.

I did similar on the old sailboat, with a hard panel. But not just through the canvas, I bolted it through the canvas to "U" clamps around the bimini frame. I put rubber washers between the canvas and the clamps, it didn't leak.

Just a thought. I was in the same predicament. Ultimately I ended up just using the solar panels to create a bimini. I already had the reinforced frame work (previous owner reinforced for snow). I used butyl tape between the solar panels. It took me awhile to find the solar panels that fit the footprint of the frame, but it is waterproof and cost less then replacing the canvas. It will also last much longer than canvas, which will be a cost saving down the road. The solar panels will also be much less maintenance compared to cleaning and waterproofing canvas.

Here are 3 links to some innovative s/s hardware by a unique canvas shop up in Rockland Maine.

The first two links are from the vendor's website.
The 3rd link is from MY blog to show you how I applied their hardware for my rigid solar panels.

https://www.geminiproducts.net/

https://www.geminicanvas.com/marine-solar-panels/[/URL]

https://shellerina.com/2022/07/26/solar-has-arrived/

Note that their stand off mounting brackets do not have to be going UP though the canvas. They can be mounted on the SIDES, on the vertical parts of your canvas support structure, then build tubing up over the canvas from those sides... thus maintaining the weatherproof canvas on top.

Last edited:
I used a grommet kit to punch holes and put grommets on my Sunbrella bimini for two of my four 175W Renogy flex panels. I through-bolted with plastic 1/4-20 bolts, double nutted.

For the other two I use rare earth magnets. I put them up once I get to my cruising ground if I'm staying for more than a couple of days. Originally I had all four mounted with rare earths year round, but the magnets began to corrode badly after a year or so. Current solution has been working well for 3 years.

Hard panels are better in every way, and if I get around to it I'll eventually put a hard top on my flybridge with proper panel mounts, but that's am much more significant project.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom