Boat name survey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For a boat? I'd give more than that.

How about something off your Ducati fanship? "Desmo" is simple, easy to spell, unusual (for those not familiar, Ducati uses a solid gear-driven valve drive that removes the issues with spring-return valves at high RPMs).

Or some other variation - Not-a-Duc. Big Duc. Slow Duc

Personally, I'm not a fan of oblique references that need an explanation, though Desmo wouldn't garner too many questions. My friend with "Quintessa" previously had a Brewer 46 PH cutter sailboat, a beautiful boat that he named "Cythera" after some oblique Greek goddess. Whenever I'd hail him on the VHF, I'd cringe a little as I felt like I had a lisp for some reason. He's a really good guy, but when it comes to naming boats, he has a real blind spot.

Don't be that guy....

Peter

Not ignoring you Peter.

Part two, "my new boats name". Please read introw two posts above.

This unless 3 of you say my boat name sucks by noon today and why?

Note: I can weed out the ones screwing with me and blocking all my Craigslist ads, weenies.

Everyone here brought memories of my life to the surface. And I took much advice and picked a name the suits my Boat. Maybe?

My boats name will be

KAI. KALAKALA

OR

KALAKALA. KAI

PLEASE HELP ME WITH THE ORDER OF THE TWO WORDS. Please, which one first?

"Kalakala" PNW Indian name for "bird". It was also a one of a kind ferry in Seattle. Check it's history out on wikipedia.

For some reason, (years before I moved to Seattle), I collected every Kalakala post card on Ebay. NOTE: this when Ebay was new. I also had an EarthLink account.

I loved the hand tinted Kalakala postcards and traded them.

Why Kalakala? It's a "K word" like "Kai" below. .

Bird? A few ducks greet me whenever I visit my boat.

Bird? The PNW traditional Indian "bird" art is strong here in Seattle. Hence, strong boat, (hey stretching it here).

Bird? I like birds.

Bonus Bird? As a kid I thought by now we'd have flying cars like the Jetsons. Before I die, maybe they'll make, "add on wings" for any boat including my.CHB. let me stay asleep while you hook them up.

Kai. Is the Hawaiian name for "Sea". But many of you here knew that.

Kai, Boat, Sea.. need I say more?

Kai? I lived in Hawaii 3 times.

Ksi? I lived in Hawaii kai once.

Kai? It's a "K" word like "Kalakala"

Kai? The word itself is peaceful. And Hawaiians are Kai loving. I feel I was accepted in Hawaii as I came to help the islands and not destroy it. The locals can sense a "taker" of their traditions in seconds.

Kai bonus? My tattoos are Hawaiian.

If you're still with me, Which order please?

KAI KALAKALA

OR

KALAKALA Kai?

How important is a boats name is to me: Everywhere I traveled I looked at boats boat names.

As A kid looking at boat names in: Put-In-Bay Ohio, winter trips in the Winnebago to Florida water's. As an adult looking at boats names in San Diego, San Francisco, Hawaii, Seattle, Boston and more.

Who hasn't dreamed of naming their own boat one day?

Kai Kalakala. Not a bad sobriety test "Say it three times - doesn't even need to be fast." Remember, when hailing a boat, it's customary to repeat the boat's name at least a second time (and typically a third). But as long as you asked, "Kai Kalakala" has a better ring to my ears than "Kalakala Kai."

I take it there's no chance of taking the simple route of "Seabird?"

BTW....how is it pronounced? kala-kala (think coca cola)? or ka-LUCK-a-la? Or something else? One of the most beautifully named port on the Pacific is Yaquina OR (Ya-KWIN-ah vs YAK-e-naw). The uncertainty of pronunciation probably explains why most call it "Newport." I notice Mark with the Coot has a pronunciation guide to "Carquinez" in his signature block (another beautiful word but local to San Francisco Bay).

My favorite suggested name thus far has been "Kon Teaky." Well, actually the NJ Italian American in me really liked "Stugots" but that name was famously taken when Pussy went for a one-way boat ride in The Sopranos. Stugots probably needs to be retired from boat names.

Peter

Last edited:
Are there any problems naming boats after Native American places, folklore or things?

You may want to ask the owner of the Washington Redskins to weigh-in. Some things don't always translate as intended. The Chevy Nova was a failure in Mexico until it was renamed. "No Va" means "No-Go" in Spanish. On the other hand, the French could not have cared less about their car "Citreon" (loosely, "lemon").

Peter

Also: Kai = German for Quay
;-)

Shakey Reed doesn't do it for me. I'm reminded of the scene in Cool Hand Luke when a worker in a chain gang goes into the brush to relieve himself. He's say "shaking the branch, boss" to show he hadn't run off. Which Paul Newman eventually did anyway.

Or over the radio, it could be mistaken for someone's bad bag of marijuana! :D Time for a Coastie inspection anyone?!?:dance:

From Wikipedia......"November 1934, William O. Thorniley, publicist for PSNC and president of the Olympic Peninsula Travel Association, named the new ferry Kalakala, which was said to mean "bird" in the Pacific Northwest Native American trade language"
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Probably REALLY means "Gullible White Man"!:dance:

Original name of our GB 36 in Hawaii was Hale Popoki, which is Hawaiian, and translates to "House of Cats". I often wish we had reverted to that name when we purchased the boat, as we had (and have) cats. Of course, it could have been taken wrong too . . . Kind or rolls off your tongue though!

You stated you like birds, how about Cormorant? They migrate through the PNW, and are pretty birds. Sounds good on the radio too.

I really liked "Reed Song" as suggested by Beaverlake. I take it that didn't move you? Why did I like it? It incorporated your wife's "reed" memories, it's two simple strong words that nonetheless are not often seen together, and it's something I can easily imagine saying three times in a row on the radio: "Reed Song, Reed Song, Reed Song; Seabird," for example.

I'm having a hard time with "Kai Kalakala, Kai Kalakala, Kai Kalakala; Seabird." Whew. Not that you should do what I want, but you did ask.

CG: Can you spell that?

You: "Kilo, Alpha, India, Kilo, Alpha, Lima, Alpha, Kilo, Alpha, Lima, Alpha."

CG: "Okay, sir, Kilo Alpha India Kilo Alpha Lima?"

You: "No, that was all the one name. It's Kilo, Alpha, India, Kilo, Alpha, Lima, Alpha, Kilo, Alpha, Lima, Alpha."

Etc.

I'm having a hard time with "Kai Kalakala, Kai Kalakala, Kai Kalakala; Seabird." Whew. Not that you should do what I want, but you did ask.

CG: Can you spell that?

You: "Kilo, Alpha, India, Kilo, Alpha, Lima, Alpha, Kilo, Alpha, Lima, Alpha."

CG: "Okay, sir, Kilo Alpha India Kilo Alpha Lima?"

You: "No, that was all the one name. It's Kilo, Alpha, India, Kilo, Alpha, Lima, Alpha, Kilo, Alpha, Lima, Alpha."

Etc.

Ditto every bridge tender. Or every marina.

Wife's first name and middle initial?

My favorite name for a race horse was "Hoof Hearted." Say it a couple times fast out-loud and I think you'll understand.

Around here the story is never name a boat after a wife or girlfriend (presumably that includes husbands and boyfriends, too)... 'cause they can come or go. Instead, name after a daughter... or I guess a son...

-Chris

Last edited:
"Reed" was not picked due to design purposes, (if we needed a mural to go with our boats name). Reeds are a dull color and traditional native American bird designs are beautiful. Please search, "photos Pacific northwest Indian bird". Pretty and so PNW huh?

Oh my, spelling will be a nightmare

"CG: Can you spell that?

You: "Kilo, Alpha, India, Kilo, Alpha, Lima, Alpha, Kilo, Alpha, Lima, Alpha...."

But I'm not sure I could spell anything as I don't know the phonetic alphabet. How often will I be needing to say my name? And I'm hoping I won't need the coast guard... ever. BTW, What agency patrols Lake Union and Lake Washington?

Do I need it for fuel stations, docking purposes...? How often and why would one be on the radio during a days leisurely ride? And my boat fits under every bridge in Lake Union and Lake Washington with room to spare, (as shown during my survey ride).

Maybe the Ballard "locks"?

Last edited:
I thought Reed was something your wife had good memories of, that's all.

I can't say exactly how often you will need to spell your boat name, but with a name like Kai Kalakala it will be more often than I ever have (because my boat names have included words that most people know how to spell and pronounce).

But boat name in general? To me it's something that is used all the time. Again, you may have a different experience. I can't count the number of times I've called others on the radio (hence used my name once at end of triple call), or had my boat hailed (my boat name three times, then theirs). I've called bridges, given my boat name to marinas for slips (I didn't have to spell; you probably would) or to hold packages, and written it on propane tanks. Etc.

If you ever cruise on your boat, you likely won't be "Ducatihottie" but rather "The Kai Kalakalas." As in, "The Kai Kalakalas invited us over for a beverage this evening."

And any boater might need to hail the Coast Guard or an assistance vessel. When this happens, the situation may be strained, and the signal may be staticky. Another boat may need to relay (be a go-between if they can hear you both but you can't hear each other).

You may do none of these things. But they are not rare for many boaters.

Frosty

PS: I completely understand your lifelong desire to have a big boat. I was much the same. I did grow up on the water, with many boats, but none of "naming size." They were just "the rowboat," or "the Evinrude," or whatever.

But I'm somewhat mystified that after your dream is coming true, you seem somewhat determined to go against nautical convention, rather than embracing it. (One example would be choosing a name that works well on the radio.) Sure, you may never need to use the radio; but I guess for me, that was part of the fun and learning of getting my first "big" boat, where I HAD a radio to use. I still enjoy things like calling bridges, hailing other boats, and the like.

Last edited:
I know it is long but

Whispering Grass

sounds softer than Shakey Reed but close feelings?

Thanks Frosty! Didn't know all of that in advance.

Not trying to buck trends but aren't many boat names consistent with their surroundings? I assume in Hawaii there are many Hawaiian names? We have a large Hawaiian population here in Seattle and a kid from work is named "Kai". I came across "Kai" last night as it's trending for new born baby names. I also remember looking at boats in the Florida Keys and many had "key" or even something "Jimmy Buffett" song in their name. Maybe "key" is where the boats were from?

Being from the PNW I felt you may have heard of Kalakala. But maybe it wasn't as popular as I imagined? I even donated to it's failed attempt to turn it into a museum or a restaurant. Plus as you know, the native American culture is abundant here, (I live 1 minute from tribal land).

My concerns though are new as you explained things perfectly. Thank you for your input and will discuss with my wife.

Last edited:
Glad the thread is proving useful to you.

I have heard of - and seen photos of - the Kalakala. And I do think it's a cool ferry and a cool name. I might not name my boat that in your area just because it is well known as one specific historical boat, but you may feel differently.

Adding Kai to it puts it over the top for me, spelling-wise and it just becomes cumbersome.

As far as looking at other boats, you will definitely see many that do not adhere to the "think about how it sounds on the radio" consideration. Everything from just kind of gross ("Dirty Bottom" is one I remember), to tongue twisters, to easy names rendered visually difficult by tiny flowing script in 3" letter height.

Your right frosty, Kai Kalakala out.

We're now down to

KON TEAKY. Our boat is filled with teak inside and out. This is similar to the Hawaiian raft and movie. But I can't find a definition of, "kon"?

And my wife's new favorite

Swinging Reed

Last edited:
Wikipedia has this to say about Kon-Tiki as part of a hyphenated word:

The Kon-Tiki expedition was a 1947 journey by raft across the Pacific Ocean from South America to the Polynesian islands, led by Norwegian explorer and writer Thor Heyerdahl. The raft was named Kon-Tiki after the Inca god Viracocha, for whom "Kon-Tiki" was said to be an old name.

That led to this:

Viracocha is the great creator deity in the pre-Inca and Inca mythology in the Andes region of South America. Full name and some spelling alternatives are Wiracocha,[1] Apu Qun Tiqsi Wiraqutra, and Con-Tici (also spelled Kon-Tiki, the source of the name of Thor Heyerdahl's raft).

Oops, left this part off:

Viracocha was one of the most important deities in the Inca pantheon and seen as the creator of all things, or the substance from which all things are created, and intimately associated with the sea.[2]

Last edited:
BTW, I don't think you'd have to spell out "teaky" very often. Sure, many people may assume it's "tiki," but since it sounds the same either way on the radio, probably no biggie. Usually when spelling is asked for (IME), it's because people are a bit lost on the pronunciation and trying to get a clue. Of course CG may still ask just to be sure, but...

"Kilo, Oscar, November -- Tango, Echo, Alpha, Kilo, Yankee"

...seems fine to me and has a nice flow to it. Not so many repeated letters as the KK name.

Thanks.

Someone above said they weren't fans of a play on words. Is "Teaky" replacing "Tiki" an example of that? I've gotten a few thumbs up for "Kon Teaky".

And "Swinging Reed". Will I be mistaken for a man named "Reed" and that I'm a Swinger? Oh no:) There are some pretty photos of swinging reeds in water upon search.

Last edited:
I'd say it's a slight play on words, but to me (who dislikes plays-on-words names, usually), it seems kind of fun. It's not a play on drinking, wimmin', knots, the office, reels, or etc.

Like KK, you could say it's appropriating a native concept; but then Thor Heyerdahl already somewhat neutralized it I suppose.

On the Reed: I'd probably try to find a modifier other than Swinging, but then I was young in the 70's.

Last edited:
My suggestions would be...

Fram - tribute to one of the greatest arctic exploration ships, easy to say and spell.

Nimrod - another arctic tribute, sailed by my hero Shakleton and I love the dual meaning of a"a great hunter" and "an inept person" as I am sure I will be both at times.

Pequod - tribute to Melville and a ship captained by a great seaman of questionable sanity....

and lastly....since you aren't sure ....how about Knot-Sure !!

I'd say it's a slight play on words, but to me (who dislikes plays-on-words names, usually), it seems kind of fun. It's not a play on drinking, wimmin', knots, the office, reels, or etc.

Like KK, you could say it's appropriating a native concept; but then Thor Heyerdahl already somewhat neutralized it I suppose.

On the Reed: I'd probably try to find a modifier other than Swinging, but then I was young in the 70's.
I'm with Frosty. Not a fan of cutesy names. But for a Taiwan trawler, Kon Teaky makes sense as it's specific to the boat. Spin a yarn about the family that built her, carved her interior doors, etc. Name is an homage.

Here's a cutesy name I saw on a boat in Kingston, Ontario, Cirrhosis of the River.
I'm with Frosty. Not a fan of cutesy names. But for a Taiwan trawler, Kon Teaky makes sense as it's specific to the boat. Spin a yarn about the family that built her, carved her interior doors, etc. Name is an homage.
KingstonBoat.jpeg

Due to the thoughtful posts we received we named our boat............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................."KON TEAKY"

There was only one boat we saw that had more "teak" than ours. And there's hardly a nail in it. So this makes complete sense.

THANK YOU to everyone that guided us through this process. And whoever, (tiltrider? Me? Someone Else?) picked our name out, we owe you a drink.

And if anyone finds another boat with our name, I'll buy you two drinks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200613-220505_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200613-220505_Gmail.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20200613-220811_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200613-220811_Gmail.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20200613-220925_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200613-220925_Gmail.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20200613-221013_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200613-221013_Gmail.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20200613-221104_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200613-221104_Gmail.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20200613-221312_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200613-221312_Gmail.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20200613-221438_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200613-221438_Gmail.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20200613-221501_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200613-221501_Gmail.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20200613-220148_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200613-220148_Gmail.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20200613-220607_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200613-220607_Gmail.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I probably should have asked this before today. The wood is teak isn't it? Inside and out? Is there a name of the teak type? And was it abundant in Taiwan or did they import it?

I probably should have asked this before today. The wood is teak isn't it? Inside and out? Is there a name of the teak type? And was it abundant in Taiwan or did they import it?

Teak is natural to areas in southeast Asia, but not really Taiwan in particular; so yes they I think they imported it but from relatively close. Taiwan's main resource is their extreme mad wood boat building skills, which translated into the amount of teak added to our fiberglass hulls.

Really cool to see someone excited about their boat! :dance:

Does your boat have granite counters in the bathrooms/vanity or galley? Taiwan has remarkable granite deposits and many of our boats feature unique solid or tile granite in those areas.

I don't have any photos of my counters on this laptop, but here's same year boat with the same green granite as I have in both heads and the aft cabin vanity...

7352481_20200130152636327_2_XLARGE.jpg

Enjoy her!

Friend's favorite name was on an Australian bachelor's boat - Hot Ruddered Bum

Friend's favorite name was on an Australian bachelor's boat - Hot Ruddered Bum

Near the top of my list of awful boat names.

Speaking of Fram and Kon-Tiki. I have been to the museum in Oslow containing them both. I had knowledge of both beforehand and was amazed at the pristine condition of Fram fully housed against the elements.

I couldn't be more excited about this boat as I'll get the keys next week, (knock on teak). This process has been more difficult than any house, auto or motorcycle purchases COMBINED!!!

Fracta, Do you know Marcie from La Conner Boat Sales? Even though she didn't sell us our boat, we bought her a gift since she was so nice.

While the doors on my bathroom are nice:, my bathroom looks no where as nice as those, (no granite). My bathrooms migh be the only downfall of the boat, (clean but boring looking).

Rich, what is / was Fram?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom