Bahamas black tank pumping etiquette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alzero
Vessel Make
Hatteras 63' CPMY
What are the “rules” on pumping your black tank overboard in the Bahamas? There are no pump outs in the Exumas so pumping overboard is unavoidable. So what are the do’s and don’ts, the when and where?

I know it’s acceptable to pump while traveling across the banks, but what about when at anchor? Is it considered bad form to pump at mid day when others can see a brown cloud around your boat, or does one wait until after dark, or does it not matter at all?

Is pumping tidal related? That is: when at anchor pump when the tide is not at slack water and is moving at a good clip. I assume pumping into moving water is preferable or does it not matter in practice?

What if you are in a marina or a small enclosed anchorage, have a full tank and weather keeps you inside for a week?

Does the size of your tank make any difference? I have a 275 gallon black tank, should that make any difference to the above questions? Does one pump daily or wait until full and then pump it all out?

Pumping while moving is, I am sure, the preferred option, but that is not always possible, thus the questions.

Finally I have the option to have each of the three heads pump directly overboard avoiding the black tank entirely. When is it acceptable to simply do that? And more importantly, when is it not?

Last edited:
OK, to be very honest there are two very distinct approaches.

We always pump out when running off shore - ether in Exuma Sound or running the west side of the cays. At least a couple of miles off the cays.

NEVER at anchor, in an anchorage, in Exuma Park etc.

That said: If you were to sit in Georgetown for more than a period and see these boats (with obvious tiny holding tanks if any) which lay down anchor in November and do not move again until April - what do you think they are doing, Hundreds of 'em!

We anchor over at Sand Dollar away from the maddening crowd and then only go in the water right off the beach.

I started a thread on this last spring when we were there. I will try and find it.

Last edited:
The courteous thing to do, is to do it offshore, or a long ways from other anchored boats (a couple of miles at least).

But, with the super clear water, it's easy to spot the violators.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom