Anyone choose the boat over the woman?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Mr. s. I don't look upon going to "her" restaurant as giving in simply because the last time we went to "my" restaurant. It's a total non issue, in my case.

She's been doing her own thing and I mine, for the last 50+ years. Boating and spending time together is but ONE thing we can do together. She now wants to take up golf. Total waste of time IMO. So, she'll be off to the golf course when things open up.
I fish. She thinks THAT is a total waste of time.
These things are of no consequence because we both enjoy doing enough things together to be happy.

To quote a well worn cliche. There's no I in team.

Last edited:
Great if it works, many times it doesn't.

Those that have decades old marriages, congrats....consider yourself lucky if they succeeded through a successful and career not kind to togetherness, and a hobby they like but not love.

For every one of those I know, there are at least a few where someone resented a career or a hobby beyond tolerance....

Greetings,
Mr. s. I don't look upon going to "her" restaurant as giving in simply because the last time we went to "my" restaurant. It's a total non issue, in my case.

She's been doing her own thing and I mine, for the last 50+ years. Boating and spending time together is but ONE thing we can do together. She now wants to take up golf. Total waste of time IMO. So, she'll be off to the golf course when things open up.
I fish. She thinks THAT is a total waste of time.
These things are of no consequence because we both enjoy doing enough things together to be happy.

To quote a well worn cliche. There's no I in team.

the restaurant thing...I assume that was in response to my earlier post.... I agree a nothing non issue....just an example of the point.
Sometimes it's not that important to either one of you, sometimes it's silly little things, sometimes it's a little thing but a very big deal, and others it's a really big issue
....just like golf and fishing... really great examples of things that take an afternoon...or even a weekend and that aren't a big deal by themselves.... but can become one if say for example a fishing trip conflicts with something else she had planned....but regardless these too, aren't in the same universe of moving aboard full time

Where did you get the idea that Ann Landers was actually a man??? She was a woman named Esther ("Eppie") Lederer. Dear Abby was her twin sister Pauline.

--Peggie
originally yes, then... Jeff
News America Syndicate distributed the Landers column before it was sold to King Features,[7] and Landers moved to the new Creators Syndicate.[8] On February 13, 1987, after years of seeking to run the column,[7] the Chicago Tribune announced the Landers column was moving there,[8] and the Sun-Times replaced her with Ruth Crowley's daughter Diane Crowley and Jeff Zaslow of The Wall Street Journal.[9][10]

Heck, experts can't explain love and its ups and downs, counselors may help but most I have dealt with are not al, that helpful.....so I am pretty sure forum advice about the people and not general situation based on a few sentences about the people involved qualifies any particular advice .....how?

I would rather explain an electrical problem with all thats provided is a picture of a blown fuse.

Sparks fly during the courtship and later it is terminated with a dead short.

Great if it works, many times it doesn't.

Those that have decades old marriages, congrats....consider yourself lucky if they succeeded through a successful and career not kind to togetherness, and a hobby they like but not love.

For every one of those I know, there are at least a few where someone resented a career or a hobby beyond tolerance....

There are some careers that are horrible for relationships, especially if not the right parties involved. Some require very unique schedules. Yacht crew traditionally is very difficult. Military is often and finding it even less so as spouses are less able or willing to just sit by without companionship for long periods. Truck driving has always been a challenge. One we often don't think about is Surgeons. Their hours are very long and many see very little of their family. Often spouses are fine until kids graduate and then divorce, realizing they've gone 20 years apart. Just business executives have developed horrific records due to long hours.

In many cases I fault employers, especially in the US where long hours and schedules are often expected with no consideration of family life so spouses grow apart and often a parent doesn't really even know their kids.

There are many, including us, who think the entire "marital contract" needs rewriting with the ending of it contemplated up front, much like a standard pre-nuptial. Treat it like a partnership agreement. Sharing of expenses and clarity of assets. Then one other piece. Why must one move out if they decide it's over, especially with kids? Only adds expense on top of divorce costs. Likely been already in separate bedrooms. Why can't they date while still living in same house? Sure makes taking care of kids easier and affording life in general.

Nearly 50% of first marriages end in divorce. Much higher on subsequent marriages and extremely high on unmarried couples parting. Clearly not working like our ancestors expected or believed. Of course they just kept married to someone they hated often. However, I think there is a problem our generations have and that is two fold, money and time. The financial pressures are huge and the lack of family time is a disgrace. How do you maintain a relationship with someone you have no time with?

As to hobbies, some couples thrive with opposite interests. They spend their leisure time apart. For others of us it's hard to imagine, but then we have those who know us and laugh and ask if we're ever apart or if we're somehow attached by wires or something. Married couples say they could never spend as much time together as we do. Just proves what is right for one isn't for others.

And that comes back to complete, honest and open communication starting from the beginning and continuing always. If we're scared to talk about a topic, that likely will be the one to destroy us.

One added comment. What one thinks they can do or tolerate, often in real life experiences they find they just cannot. They weren't lying, just hadn't faced it yet.

Greetings,
Hah! My wife went away to university for 2 years and I took care of the 2 kids (6 mos & 7 years old). Also moved to another city for 11 years for a better job (after kids). Lots of intercity visiting during those times but we're still together.
The failure rate for teenage marriages when we got hitched was over 85%. I was 19. She was 17. Go figure.

She's planting flowers and shrubs all over the property now. I put gardening right up there with hull bottom painting BUT I'm helping out. At the end of the day she can say "That looks nice" and I'm still "meh". She's happy-I'm happy. It's only dirt.

I can't believe how many here think their opinion is anything but a millionth or more (if lucky) of the population.

Counselors usually tell us why our thoughts are wrong or how to fix things, or make them even better (few if any have perfect, though may be long lasting relationships).... Yet so many think they have the world all figured out. Relationships are as diverse as genes....

Have fun..... hope the people looking for a great cruising partner are lucky enough to find them before they start cruising because afterward changes a lot, or find one after they are already tired of cruising because they did it alone for long enough, etc...etc....

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. ps. I don't know about the other millions but I have it OK. NOT perfect but quite comfortable. As far as figuring out my partner? Hahahahahaha.....Not a hope in...

iu

I’ve got a great girlfriend of about two years whom I love, but she’s decided she wants absolutely nothing to do with the cruiser lifestyle. Won’t live on a boat. Won’t travel on a boat. Won’t vacation on a boat. Refuses to even spend one night on a boat.

I was up front when we met that cruising is my retirement plan. Told her this before our first date and she was receptive, but has now changed her mind. .

This is depressing.. I'd like to think she could have been honest with you when you told her your dreams, but maybe she just didn't realize that you were being honest with her. I don't know.. a lot of people say they want "dreams" but then never make it happen. If it had been longer I might think she has different priorities now, but two years is really just a blip in time.

I guess it boils down to what do you want? Yes, it does seem harsh to choose a "thing" over a person, but don't people in relationships do that every day. Some times you choose a job over the place that person might want to live for financial reasons or such. Or maybe it's a small thing of choosing a place to eat over another person's choice. It happens, it's life.

After 30+ plus years of marriage I know that everything is about choice, sometimes you comprise, sometimes you get your "choice" and sometimes you plot evil things as you grin and bear it.

First off.. the only one who can make this difficult choice is you.. and yes, some will support you, some will bash you for it, and some won't think about it ever again. But something I have learn at much painful cost to my own soul is if you have a dream that burns at your soul level that keeps you alive through all of life's crap and you give it up, you better darn well make sure that whatever or whomever you've given it away for it worth it.

Best of luck with making the choice.. whatever you choose I hope you find happiness in it.

106 posts to this thread make it obvious that a whole bunch of you have never learned that there's a difference between having something to say, and just having to say something!

--Peggie

106 posts to this thread make it obvious that a whole bunch of you have never learned that there's a difference between having something to say, and just having to say something!

--Peggie

Nothing to say here!... I have one of those jobs Wifey B talked about being hard on relationships.. And 2 divorces. I'm not going to weigh in with relationship advice,lol....

originally yes, then... Jeff

So the fact that man may have participated in the 15 minutes of newspaper's or syndicate's desperate attempt to keep a profitable column alive after the author death validates your claim that Ann Landers was actually a man???

So the fact that man may have participated in the 15 minutes of newspaper's or syndicate's desperate attempt to keep a profitable column alive after the author death validates your claim that Ann Landers was actually a man???

Well, umm, yes. At one time, it was a man. Sorry that this has struck a nerve, can we drop it now?

I think I opened up a can of worms... :whistling:

We're all trying to change one another, some to a greater degree than others. That said, I'm not so much trying to change her on this topic as I am staying true to my dreams. When we first met I said this was what I wanted to do and she said that sounded "amazing." It's true that I would love for her to join me and I'm trying to teach her what I know about cruising and encourage her to explore the idea with me, but since she's decided this isn't the life for her, that's okay.

Unfortunately that means we're not all that compatible. I do want a partner who at least fancies the idea of yachting and is willing to talk about it with me. I'm open to a lot of negotiation and compromise. Which boat we get, how much time we spend on it, where we go, whether we have a home base on land and where that's located, etc. It's not all "my way or the highway." But it damn sure is "I want a large catamaran, I've worked hard and saved my pennies for decades toward this, I'm going to buy one in a few years, join me or not but don't tell me I can't do this, don't cry because I'm looking at boats and reading boat forums and watching boat videos, don't give me an ultimatum."

She imagines being stuck on the boat while I imagine the boat is my house that I can place in various places to explore before moving onto the next place. She imagines breaking all ties with our hometown and friends, while to mee that's not a requirement at all..... She would prefer to maintain a home base...while I imagine maintaining a home base as an anchor that will always hold or pull be back and not allow me to go the the next place. She imagines renting a place in some far away place and using it as a base of exploration for a time, then moving on while I imagine that rental house as being a second anchor. I like the idea of having my own place that I can move....

I could swear you're me and your wife is my girlfriend. Wait, that sounds bad... my girlfriend is your wife? Nope, that's no good either, but you get the point. Everything you imagine about the boat, I also imagine. Your wife's perspective matches my girlfriend's perspective.

Yesterday, she said, "What am I supposed to do while you're off snorkeling or scuba diving or riding jet skis? I don't want to do any of that." I asked her, "What do you do now when I'm outside working in the yard on various landscaping projects that you don't enjoy doing and don't join me in?" She watches TV and plays on the Internet. I told her she'll have a bigger living room than we have now, she can do the exact same thing. That didn't resonate... she feels like she'll be trapped on the boat, unable to do the things she does now, most of which involve never leaving the house. :ermm:

There are many, including us, who think the entire "marital contract" needs rewriting with the ending of it contemplated up front, much like a standard pre-nuptial.
Agreed. This is another point where my girlfriend and I are at odds. She wants a marriage, I'm not entering into one until we can see eye to eye on some major life decisions and if we do get there - and I'm absolutely not convinced we can based on what the past year has shown me - a prenup will be required. She's not happy about that but I already had to write one ex wife a six figure check to buy my freedom, I'm not doing that again.

I'd like to think she could have been honest with you when you told her your dreams, but maybe she just didn't realize that you were being honest with her. I don't know.. a lot of people say they want "dreams" but then never make it happen.
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what happened. She went along with it because she thought it was a pipe dream. "Haha, this guy thinks he's going to buy a million dollar yacht." She got a partial peek at my finances about a year ago while I was reconciling some business accounts, realized I have the means to pull it off and that's when things started going downhill. Pressuring me to get married, to give up my yacht ambitions and buy her a beach house in Hawaii, etc. Well, mama didn't raise no fool, I love the girl but I'm not handing anybody the keys to the kingdom and giving her access to my accounts and investments. She's college educated and has had jobs with a similar salary as I, the difference is she spent it all on lifestyle stuff and I saved and invested over many years. Now we're in our forties and I've got investments and she doesn't. That right there is all the proof I need to know that I'm not abandoning my financial management style and letting her start calling the shots. I wasn't born into money and I don't make a million bucks a year, I've simply been frugal with my spending, saved over a long period of time and made some smart investments that are beginning to yield dividends.

I'm happy to take care of her. I enjoy sharing the fruits of my labor with the people I love. I'm generous with her and my family. I'm just not going to sign a contract that requires me to continue being generous long after she's left me. If you're with me and you love me and you treat me right I'll share everything with you, but if you break my heart then I get to take my toys and go home. I don't think that's unreasonable.

if you have a dream that burns at your soul level that keeps you alive through all of life's crap
That's it right there. The sea calls me. I don't know what it is, something inside of me yearns for adventure. Every visit to the coast, every time I set foot on a big boat, the desire burns more intensely. I can sit quietly and watch the waves all day, watching boats come and go, watching the birds and the fish... it gives me a deep satisfaction and fills a void that no person can.

I caved, a little bit. I acquiesced to not living on the boat full time but instead using it as a second home. Told her we could get a condo at a marina to use as a home base. She's thinking about it. Honestly, I've lost a lot of hope for us, I can see this going poorly where I spend weekends on the boat, she doesn't come with me and we both resent one another. It sucks, I wanted the girl I met two years ago who thought yacht life was "an amazing dream" and was excited for our future.

Sounds like you have answered your own question and probably had the answer all along. Now you just need to do what is right for both of you and move on. Better that you recognized this sooner than later.

Happened to me and my first wife..me boater/her horse rancher. Wound up that way so we got our wishes....except togetherness....but 2 great boys.

....now happenening to my best friend (confirmed lifelong bachelor) and girlfriend. He has had a 42 Catalina sailboat for 10 years and can hardly even get her to daysail. The boat has maybe 50 hrs on it since he bought it except for when he, me and another buddy moved it from Charleston to Florida for a 6 month winter trip where he took it out 1 maybe 2 times the whole time it was there.

Guy has money, says I am living the dream.....I have told him a dozen ways to have half his cake and eat it...but he just won't take that one step of a long journey. He just turned 70 and now is feeling his age and might sell the boat. I tried to get him a new girlfriend for years so he could enjoy the boat.....again, no first step. So the best way to have the least fun....don't take a first step in any direction. Sure, he says he is happy and having fun. But he always talks about the things he could easily do, but won't even take a first baby step.

I think I opened up a can of worms... :whistling:

Yes, yes you did, and frankly, I have been a bit shocked and dismayed at the negative posts regarding your situation. :eek: The whole situation looks pretty clear to me.

YOU seem to have been the one that has been honest and upfront about what you want to do. YOU seem to be the one that has been communicating and offering alternatives, even though the alternatives are not really what you want to do. YOU have been the one throwing out compromises.

The other side has offered only one compromise, YOU doing what SHE wants. YOU have to throw away YOUR dream, and it would seem, YOUR money, to support what SHE wants. Especially, now that she has gotten a whiff of the money... :facepalm: Compromise is not a word that is in her actions or words.

Life is short. Life, where one one is actually living and not existing, is even shorter. Me thinks it is time for you to buy your boat and follow the dream while you can.

If she wants to go on the boat, so be it. If not, that is her decision, not yours. YOU have tried to compromise with someone who is not compromising at all. She has not given one little, itty, bitty, inch. That says a bunch of things that should be LOUD and CLEAR. Go buy your boat and see what she does. Buying the boat is YOUR decision and dream. What she does when you have YOUR boat/dream is HER decision.

Good Luck,
Dan

Go buy your boat and see what she does.
Thanks Dan. I intend to. If she leaves me, so be it. There are plenty of other fish in the sea, I'm sure I can find a partner who wants to enjoy this lifestyle with me. If not, well, I'll just be another salty old dog solo sailing the high seas and that's fine, too. Better than living with regrets because I gave up my biggest passion for someone I'll likely grow to resent. For all I know this is my only life to live and I'm going to keep living it as long as the good lord allows.

Thanks Dan. I intend to. If she leaves me, so be it. There are plenty of other fish in the sea, I'm sure I can find a partner who wants to enjoy this lifestyle with me. If not, well, I'll just be another salty old dog solo sailing the high seas and that's fine, too. Better than living with regrets because I gave up my biggest passion for someone I'll likely grow to resent. For all I know this is my only life to live and I'm going to keep living it as long as the good lord allows.

hey I've been married 3 times and have had a good wife now for 13 years . your girl friend sounds like two of my wives .all I can say is run. even if you don't buy a boat run anyway.

Back
Top Bottom