Aging gracefully with a boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not to get too philosophical on a casual boating forum.... no one likes to admit that we're getting older, because it's a reminder of what's to come. The sad but unavoidable fact is that everything ends in life, including life itself. So far, no one has gotten out of life alive. That's the way it is.

There's a balance between trying to keep a positive attitude (albeit that's been tough lately, with little irritations like a global pandemic), and being realistic. It's funny to me to hear all the rationalizations, excuses, and cognitive dissonance from people who try to pretend they're not aging. 60 is not the new 40 (nor is 80 the new 60, or whatever math you want to use). Age might be just a 'number', but the physical condition of our body is what it is. A person can pretend they're not as old as they are with clothing, actions, state of mind, etc., but the only person they are kidding is themselves (though sometimes that is also mostly all that matters).

Being in my mid 60's, over the past decade I've felt the inescapable realities of a body that is no longer what it was. @Tator, I've had two ventricular tachycardias over the past few years, and subsequent cardiac ablation surgery (only partially successful). It's quite a wake-up call and bucket of ice-cold water in the face dose of reality to be lying there in the ER while the infamous 'paddles' are charging, having a couple of jolts with no effect, and hearing the attending physician order the setting increased to maximum, wondering if I'm going to walk out today, or not. Likewise, joint injuries and creeping arthritis are daily reminders that a mid-60's body just can't do what it did in mid-20's (or even mid-50's for that matter)(in college I used to ride my bike 300-400 miles a week, and a 100 mile century ride was an easy weekly thing; now 20 miles is often the limit). When I try, I just hurt myself, cause another injury, and end up back in the ER with something broken or sprained (like last week) because I did something that just wasn't possible for this body to do anymore.

Very few people feel like they're aging. When we look in the mirror in the morning, we rarely see a change from the day before. Each day, we think we look exactly the same as we did yesterday (and from one day to the next, we probably do). Extrapolate that out over decades, and it's easy to fool yourself into thinking, 'Everyone else is getting older, but I'm not!'.

I fell victim to that self-delusional line of thinking for a while as well. Along the way I had a few little reminders that it was nonsense. A few years ago I saw two coworkers, a few months apart, who I hadn't seen in about 20 years. Each time, their first reaction when we got together was, 'Oh my God, are you OK? Have you been sick? What happened to you? Have you had cancer? Can I help you get up?' No, they weren't joking. They were simply taken aback at how I'd changed over 20 years, whereas I foolishly thought, hell, I look the same as when I last saw them. I clearly didn't.

When my mother passed away, I found some old college and grad school era photos of myself in the piles in the basement. When I held them up to the mirror while looking at myself 'live', it was hard to tell it was the same person.

Those, my friends, are the sad and unavoidable realities of life, as distressing as they may be. Everyone ages at a different rate, sometimes with very different paths. Lifestyle and especially genetics play a big role. One my my wife's cousins is 95 and we can't keep up with her walking the streets of Manhattan. Another cousin was still riding a bike and playing tennis up until 93. But those are exceptions. We live in a society where media and expectations pressure us to feel like we can 'do it all' and 'have it all' and 'be everything'. But not everyone can be an outlier.

It's great to be 'young at heart'. But the body doesn't necessarily follow. We can (and often maybe should!) push ourselves so as not to make aging a self-fulfilling proposition. But I completely agree with @Hippocampus. We need to be realistic. Life and the world around us live in reality. We must as well. It's one thing for me to do something stupid in the yard and break a rib. It's another to do things that can endanger the safety and lives of others, such as the heart-breaking story you told. But we are responsible not just to ourselves, but the harm our actions might cause to others. Some physical deficits can turn a boat into a deadly weapon.

We often hear sad stories of people having to take the car keys away from an aging parent when it's apparent they can no longer safely drive. The same applies to boats.

Some people like to say 'I still feel like I'm 21!'. Good for them. Being 41 and dressing like a 21 year old is terrific - we should care what we think about ourselves, not what random strangers might think. It's far healthier to have a positive, upbeat attitude than to curl up into a fetal position and moan while waiting for the journey's end. But it should be tempered with a dose of reality, lest you try to do something you shouldn't and then pay the price, small (like I did last week) or big.

I'm searching for my 14th boat over the past 51 years. It will almost certainly be my last. The thoughts have crossed my mind of when the time will come when I just won't be able to do it, or at least won't be able to enjoy it anymore. Barring a traumatic accident or sudden illness, most changes come gradually, which is why they're sometimes hard to spot and easy to ignore. A little more soreness in the lower back, a bit more stiffness after washing the boat down (or a blown knee twisted on a railing while rushing to dock... ask me how I know).

I don't think there are any absolute or 'right' answers. It's different for each person. We're all aging at different rates, with different respective creeping infirmities, and widely varying levels of tolerance for discomfort. FWIW, I love @gsholz's suggestions for features that make a boat easier to handle as one's abilities become more limited. Things like easy machinery access, walk-around side decks, and no teak to maintain are exactly what I'm looking for. @backinblue, I completely agree with your thoughts too, of paying people to do more things. I used feel satisfaction to wax my boat myself. Now it's just the start of 3 days of higher doses of naproxen.

As others have opined, the 'answer' (whatever it may be) is unique to each of us, and I think is, keep doing it for as long as it's still enjoyable and brings more pleasure than pain, with the caveat of not endangering others.

@FWT, thank you, for reminding me of those inspirational words by Dylan Thomas. His words, and yours, may be the best wisdom of all.

Reactions: FWT
Thanks Nick. Pretty thoughtful and philosophical despite your opening sentence! lol

I also did a lot of cycling in my past, weight training daily for many years, and basketball at a high level until my hip wore out around 50. Prior to that, I thought I was going to be the one to beat aging and be active until I die in my 90's. I was doing everything I thought I should, eating right, exercising constantly, enjoying pushing my body to the limit. Now at only 62, I feel like I've aged 40 years in the last 10. One hip replaced, 2 sore stiff shoulders, back pain, cancerous prostate removed, etc. Now I'm slow to get out of a chair and get moving. I still push myself somewhat in doing what I can around the house, boat, cars, and yard. In the end, to me it's kind of a cruel joke. Looking back, I think that if didn't work so hard when I was younger, maybe I would actually feel younger now. I look at it as mileage and your body only has so much, so if you use it up quicker, you become older sooner. I know everyone is different and I'm just sharing my own personal experience so far. Nobody knows, but we all find out eventually and deal the best we can with the hand we are dealt.

Last edited:
Thanks Nick. Pretty thoughtful and philosophical despite your opening sentence! lol

I also did a lot of cycling in my past, weight training daily for many years, and basketball at a high level until my hip wore out around 50. Prior to that, I thought I was going to be the one to beat aging and be active until I die in my 90's. I was doing everything I thought I should, eating right, exercising constantly, enjoying pushing my body to the limit. Now at only 62, I feel like I've aged 40 years in the last 10. One hip replaced, 2 sore stiff shoulders, back pain, cancerous prostate removed, etc. Now I'm slow to get out of a chair and get moving. I still push myself somewhat in doing what I can around the house, boat, cars, and yard. In the end, to me it's kind of a cruel joke. Looking back, I think that if didn't work so hard when I was younger, maybe I would actually feel younger now. I look at it as mileage and your body only has so much, so if you use it up quicker, you become older sooner. I know everyone is different and I'm just sharing my own personal experience so far. Nobody knows, but we all find out eventually and deal the best we can with the hand we are dealt.

Thanks backinblue. I've been tending to being more philosophical than is good for me lately. It's one thing to suffer the gradual deterioration of aches and pains. But being smacked in the face with a brick with the immediate prospect of one's own mortality and potential demise (hearing the cardioversion paddles charging up...) is a real wake-up call from reality.

As Ambrose Bierce said (in turn paraphrasing and quoting from the original saying by Samuel Johnson), "There's nothing that focuses a man's attention like the prospect of being hanged in the morning".

Unfortunately, I think there's a significant element of truth to your observations from your experiences. Over-doing anything usually isn't good for us, which also applies to exercise. Of course exercise and staying physically fit is terrific, but it is possible to over-do it and prematurely wear out a joint (or the body in general). Look at how many professional athletes are prematurely worn out with significant physical infirmities at relatively young ages.

As my cardiologist told me, 'the heart only has so many beats in it'. I think the same applies to joints, and to any physical (or biophysical) structure. Any moving part can be worn out with excessive use. What applies to our engines also applies to our bodies.

My sister in law is 11 years younger than my wife. She became an obsessive exercise fanatic in middle age. Now she easily looks 20 years older than my wife. Everyone thinks my wife is the 'younger sister' compared with her. Her body is falling apart and she's had multiple accidents and surgeries for failing parts.

Thanks Nick. Good quote! I've had a couple slaps in the face lately too, though not quite as stark as yours, so I know what you mean. I agree with you about heartbeats and joints. Medicine has allowed us to live much longer than our ancestors, but maybe at some point we are living longer than we are actually designed to.

One thing that's had me thinking lately, do you or anyone here know if those smart-phone EKG devices are any help in a predictive way? I don't doubt that they work, but I wonder if they can actually predict an upcoming cardiac event. If so, pretty cheap insurance. I plan to talk with my doctor next time I see him.

I sure appreciate and enjoy reading all the thoughtful responses but I keep thinking -- well duh, of course we're all aging. My son asked me the other day who my first serious girlfriend was "before mom." It was the year after high school graduation. I told him the story -- the boys really enjoy ancient history stories for some reason, not sure why -- and afterwards I thought to myself, that was five billion years ago. We adopted the boys when I was 55, that'll sure force you to stay more active and do "younger" things. Even so, now it's getting very handy to have them around to do things I could probably still do, but not without sore muscles and making "old man" noises.

We've had some officials at work retire in the past few years (happen to be judges, I work at court). I'll see them a year or two or three after and some suddenly look 900 years old, and some look rested and even younger. The boys (11 and 13 now) visibly get older every day, it's shocking. My brother (2 years younger) was a great athlete and football player and is still very active -- but he's had no end of injury and medical stuff -- I've had mostly none. You mileage will vary.

The development and decline will happen to us all at varying rates, but it'll happen. A poster named Medic posted a line above that made me laugh out loud, something along the lines of "I could keel over right now and accidentally hit the "submit" button before this reply is finished, which I hope doesn't happen because that'll be very embarrassing." Ha! That's absolutely true. But whether it's more of an effort now to tie my shoe and if I stroke out this afternoon or I live to 97, every day has been a blessing from God and every additional minute is another blessing, even if I'm standing on the aft deck roof in a cold rain squirting WD-40 on the antenna clamp. You muscle through as long as you can. You run the good race.

This is very timely for me, as I had just briefly considered selling our boat. I've been in SoCal since August, after being in the Sea of Cortez for the last 7 years. Covid changed our cruising conditions, with islands closed to anchoring, etc., so we returned in August. I've been moping around because it is cold and windy all the time (I know, it does not get cold in SoCal), especially compared to Mexico.

Anyway, I got frustrated with the cost and upkeep and rarely wanted to visit the boat. So I engaged a broker and started cleaning Ansedonia up for sale. My wife really wanted to keep her and while at the boat last week we decided to cancel the sale. It seems that we are not done with Mexico or boating just yet. Having made that decision, everything feels right in the world again.

Now I hope to have the boat when grandchildren arrive!

Cheers, Bill

Boy! This thread sure is timely and thanks to the OP for starting it! I have been thinking those exact thoughts. "Nick14", much of your thread is where my mind has been. I too cycled to work for 15 years--I was a trail-blazing commuting cyclist when no-one else was doing it. I once completed a 550 km 24-hour time trial. I'll bet I can no longer cycle 50 km. Now I have a vintage Columbus SL-frame with a Campagnolo Nuovo Record Gruppe and Cinelli bits and bots in superb condition that is gathering dust inside.

Full Disclosure: I'm 64. Bought "The Boat" in 2013 because I wanted to travel the BC Coast when retired. While I was told the boat would be costly and a lot of work to maintain, I wasn't prepared for it all. I've been an enthusiastic amateur but I'm slow and many things are beyond my abilities. Last summer was the year of "Holy Sh*ts" with a windlass breakdown, a generator breakdown, a Webasto breakdown and an echo sounder beginning to loose bottom. Each of these have been costly, difficult to repair, time consuming, and hard emotionally. I still have the Webasto repair to complete, because I cannot concentrate on more than one thing at a time. I've also had to replace the skiff fishfinder because of a transducer failure. A replacement of the saloon window took the better part of a week to do. All of the above, I either did entirely myself or involved professionals, but at all times, I did most of the work. But I sill have serious doubts and has made me seriously think whether boat ownership is for me and whether I am competent enough. On the plus side, we have put almost 2,000 hours on the main and have been away for as much as 14 weeks on some years.

In 2015, I was trimming my very high hedge and fell off the ladder and onto my driveway. As I was falling it was as if time stood still and I remember thinking. "J*sus! This is not going to end well." It didn't. I dislocated a shoulder and damaged what was a highly successful rotator cuff repair (2007). The weakness in that shoulder continues to plague me. The challenge I find is yardwork and boatwork compete for my time in the spring. Both suffer and there are compromises.

With age I find I have lost stamina, lost strength and on a bad day I get really angry with my limitations. My problem is I can't leave well enough alone and let people do the work without me present. There are pros and cons to that: I can monitor the work as I go and correct issues real time, but I think sometimes it sends the wrong message to the professionals. Still, I learn by watching and I think it makes me a better owner as a result.

How much longer do I have? Realistically, if I reach 70 and still have the boat, I would be lucky. Any years after that will be a bonus. The pandemic has affected much of this and getting boat parts and supplies across the border has been both costly and a challenge.

My wife has had several health challenges over the past 10 years. None life threatening but debilitating nonetheless. Boating is one of the few things she can participate in make her happy. She has been a wonderful boating partner, but nearly all of the boat work falls on my shoulders.

Sorry for rambling, but again, thanks for starting this thread! I should also thank the contributors on this forum for your help during my many challenges over the years. You have helped me stay the course and stay in the game.

Jim

That's great Bill, good for you. I hope none of my post came across as bitter or regretful. I tell my wife I could die tomorrow and she shouldn't be sad because I've lived a full life and enjoyed it.

I can’t believe how long it took to become 21 and how fast I became 79.

If I could give 1 piece of advice, that I know you'll ignore because I would have to, be kind to your body regarding exercise. Don't push too hard especially with sports that are stressful to your joints like basketball, running, and weight lifting. It's counter-intuitive because you think you are staying young, but at the same time you are wearing out your body. Arthritis is called "wear and tear" for a reason. A sad but true extreme example is Ronnie Coleman. Good movie and worth a watch.

Wifey B: We do more aerobic activities and don't push too hard. For basketball, we're very diligent about shoes, about knee pads, about wraps and we do it only periodically and somewhat lightly. More shooting than pounding inside. Tennis is our other sport and we're also careful. Hubby doesn't do weights and never has but does run on treadmill. We don't run on pavement. I do a few weight machines using very moderate weight with main focus on a specific area of my body where keeping strong muscles has long been important to avoid, shall we say, sagging in the future. Also days off, no seven days a week exercise. We do try to walk a lot when cruising and get on treadmills only if we haven't done much walking for days. We don't do any running as it's own sport.

I agree with your warnings and think many over do it but also try to force their bodies into things not right for them. Hubby is moderately strong but not muscular in the sense of a weight lifter or professional athlete and was advised only for very moderate use of weights when young. On the other hand his respiratory endurance is extremely strong and much comes for both of us from singing. I never had the type body for gymnastics so never did them. We are not golfers as it's a sport so bad on your back.

And if your body gives you any pain, then it's a sign and you should heed it. Hubby's one weakness is his ankles and have been since he was a teen so he never plays any sport without them well wrapped. I also have my body parts that I always make sure are well supported when engaging in exercise. Pain is a warning. We heed it. We don't compete at basketball as much as we once did. We'll play a few less minutes at tennis. Our athletic strength is our respiratory strength, not muscles. But that brings a risk. We don't get tired when exercising but we must limit to protect our bodies and not let our respiratory capacity put our muscles and joints at risk. :D

All I can say is:

Push it till ya drop! That said, be as careful as possible along the way so the "drop" is as far off as possible!

I'm 69; crazy in love with life and fully enamored with my wife!!

My life has been wild n' woolly! Being a very free spirit there are many things I can tell stories about and some things I'll never mention. $$$'s not been a big problem - cause - I'm a hard worker, inventor and know how to invest/save.

All n' all - I have been and still am fully blessed.

Sure I've had ups n' downs throughout life. Still having them in the last decade - bet you did/do too. The ups I strive for. The downs I shrug off best as I can with full intent to run toward the next up.

Am I a bit too optimistic?? - God I hope so!! Optimism creates ups. Pessimism manifests downs. Noism becomes sameo, sameo... not too very invigorating one way or the other. - LOL!

Well, without getting into the minutia of my life... cause that would take a book... I'll leave this post stating my constant outlook.

Never stop working [on something]. Never stop trying to learn [something]. And, never give up [on yourself]!

I feel better at 60 than I did at 40.

Genetics, Life choices (quit smoking & drinking a long time ago) and not getting smacked (too hard) by random acts of the Universe helps.

Recently ran 16K and the longest I'd ever run before this was 5K decades ago. I don't see running as bad, as it was one of our big 4 evolutionary ace cards (bipedal, can sweat in African heat while running, hands, & brain size/complexity) so we are designed to run! Doing it right without provoking injuries is the hard part.

Last edited:
Wifey B: Helio Castroneves? Aging gracefully or refusing to age? Omg what an amazing win. :dance::dance::dance:

I feel better at 60 than I did at 40.

Genetics, Life choices (quit smoking & drinking a long time ago) and not getting smacked (too hard) by random acts of the Universe helps.

Recently ran 16K and the longest I'd ever run before this was 5K decades ago. I don't see running as bad, as it was one of our big 4 evolutionary ace cards (bipedal, can sweat in African heat while running, hands, & brain size/complexity) so we are designed to run! Doing it right without provoking injuries is the hard part.

How did Jim Fixx die again? Sorry couldn't resist! If you enjoy running and feel good doing it then go for it. I'd just suggest that you not push yourself too hard to run farther and longer. There is plenty of proof that running is tough on the joints and once they are gone, you'll regret it, trust me. Running may be part of our evolutionary makeup, but so was dying at 30. I'm not sure our bodies were designed for 70+ years of running. After I had my hip replaced, my surgeon told me I can do any activity I felt like, no restrictions, but he advised against running as a sport or exercise because it would decrease the life of my new hip.

Wifey B: Helio Castroneves? Aging gracefully or refusing to age? Omg what an amazing win. :dance::dance::dance:

Wifey B: Maybe the year of the old man. He mentioned Tom Brady and Phil Mickelson. :)

Not old by comparison but versus the others in their sports they are.

Wifey B: Maybe the year of the old man. He mentioned Tom Brady and Phil Mickelson. :)

Not old by comparison but versus the others in their sports they are.

I was thinking the same thing. I think that it's possible to continue to improve at your sport even as we age, at least to a degree. I think I was a better basketball player at 40 than I was at 30 even though most pros are done at that age. For me I think it was just improving incrementally over time and muscle memory. For a pro, maybe their body is too used up from many years of nonstop excessive training.

I used to play pick-up games in a gym and sometimes a former college superstar, who also went on to the NBA, would show up. He was younger than me and not in top shape at the time, but still one of the best in the gym. We were on the same team and I made a 3-point shot which I had become pretty proficient at. As we were running back down the court he said "nice shot". Coming from him I took that as pretty high praise and a good memory.

Sea Scouts to the rescue.

If you are in the Lorain, Ohio area and looking to donate your trawler our Sea Scout unit is interested. We are looking for a smaller type boat to be used for training and environmental studies out on Lake Erie. We are a very active group with 20 high school youth.

...Running may be part of our evolutionary makeup, but so was dying at 30...

Have read in the past that if you take a teenagers distance running time, such as a marathon (not sprints or middle distances) they improve into their middle years, and then their times begin to get slower as they get old.

At what age, on average, did they get as slow as they were when teenagers? Sixty years old. This makes sense, because if you didn't keep up with the group you were lion food, so I'd argue we are meant/designed to be fit all our lives.

This is probably true for people genetically predisposed to being distance runners. Agriculture and the lifestyle it affords has resulted in the proliferation of people not predisposed to distance running that the lions would have picked off in the old, nomadic, pre agriculture, pre village, pre moved out of Africa days. Talking our basic/core physiology here.

It's all about fluidity of motion, efficiency, pacing, and recovery days. I hope to be doing it for a long time. That and hiking.

Last edited:
I still lift weights on regular basis... in my gym that is down the hall from my office, in our house. Decades ago practiced lifting 4 to 6 days a week at World Gym; was semi pro. 400 bench, 700 incline leg lift, 225 curl... in my mid to late 30's.

Attachments

• 7-2020 IMG_2326.jpg
    7-2020 IMG_2326.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 25
I just changed 2 zincs . I’ll be taking the rest of the day off

I still lift weights on regular basis... in my gym that is down the hall from my office, in our house. Decades ago practiced lifting 4 to 6 days a week at World Gym; was semi pro. 400 bench, 700 incline leg lift, 225 curl... in my mid to late 30's.

Art, defying age and gravity!

I just changed 2 zincs . I’ll be taking the rest of the day off

BIG proponent of the short afternoon nap these days!

Last edited:
Look guys, I'm not going to argue with what you think is best. Do whatever you can as long as you can. You're missing my point, but that's ok. It's based on my own experience, your mileage may vary. I wish everyone the best of health for as long as you can enjoy it.

This thread has been a great discussion but seems to be going in strange directions now. I think most of us have said and heard what we wanted to. As usual, some would rather talk and not try to listen or understand what others are trying to say.

My tagline is there because it's something I believe in and try to live by. Regardless of how great you think you are and how better you think you are than the lowest person you meet, they can still teach you something, and in that particular moment, they are your superior. Some will never understand.

Last edited:
When your clock runs out, your age does not matter.
You have a finite number of heart beats, some more, some less. Why waste them by over exercising. All things in moderation except sex. "Mother Nature" will take care of that limit for you. SIGH
You find yourself going to bed early not to have sex but to get more sleep. LOL

When your clock runs out, your age does not matter.
You have a finite number of heart beats, some more, some less. Why waste them by over exercising. All things in moderation except sex. "Mother Nature" will take care of that limit for you. SIGH
You find yourself going to bed early not to have sex but to get more sleep. LOL

And also a finite number of orgasms? At least for men, I believe that is true. Remember that old fable? For the first 2 years of marriage, put a penny in a jar every time you have sex. After that, take a penny out each time. The jar will never empty. LOL

And also a finite number of orgasms? At least for men, I believe that is true. Remember that old fable? For the first 2 years of marriage, put a penny in a jar every time you have sex. After that, take a penny out each time. The jar will never empty. LOL

My jar died of old age.

A PENNY??? My first wife told me $1. No wonder she was rich when we got divorced.

Look guys, I'm not going to argue with what you think is best. Do whatever you can as long as you can. You're missing my point, but that's ok. It's based on my own experience, your mileage may vary. I wish everyone the best of health for as long as you can enjoy it.

This thread has been a great discussion but seems to be going in strange directions now. I think most of us have said and heard what we wanted to. As usual, some would rather talk and not try to listen or understand what others are trying to say.

My tagline is there because it's something I believe in and try to live by. Regardless of how great you think you are and how better you think you are than the lowest person you meet, they can still teach you something, and in that particular moment, they are your superior. Some will never understand.

Ummm...I was just offering an opinion on running with a dash of human evolution. No offence intended.

Last edited:
Art, defying age and gravity!

Murray - Here's a recent story of interest:

Shortly past my 69th birthday; 2021, 4/3: In mid April I went in for the first complete physical in my life. Everything checked out really good... My new doc did say my blood pressure was a bit high.

So... I began using my wife's BP test apparatus for personal tests every day. And, I began to google-up age in relation to BP levels.

Within in a couple weeks I determined the doctor was correct; my BP was toooo high. Therein I decided to somehow lower it. Figured prescribed pills could quickly do the trick. Those pills would be the first prescribed medication ever for me. Sans a couple of times for prescribed antibiotics and topical creams.

So, I called an "advice nurse" at Kaiser Permanente [I'd enrolled in that health care system at end of my 68th year.]

She asked me questions and then said I should go immediately to their emergency department... I obliged. Figured I'd get a bit of looking into and a prescription of BP lowering drugs. Boy - Was I ever incorrect!

Next thing I knew... they had me hooked up to many things and began pulling my blood by the vile. Soon a heart/pulmonary specialist Dr. came in and said I'm admitting you to the hospital. Wherein I replied... uhhhh... I thought we are in the hospital. He said, no this is just the emergency room and I'm putting you into a hospital room's bed next to a window. We're going to run tests on you all afternoon and throughout the night. Wherein I said - I just came here to get medication to help lower my blood pressure. In response he said: You are lucky to have not had a heart attack - I said WHAT???

So, to the room they wheeled me on the gurney/bed I was on - I could hardly believe it! Well... from then on throughout rest of that day and throughout the night they ran test after test on me and had me hooked up to too many machines. About the time I'd get to sleep a couple of nurses would come in for more rousting tests and surveillances. One shaved my right hand and forearm as well as right side of my crotch. I said why?? She says so when they put the "catheter tubes" into you that will go up to your heart; these shaves will be sanitary areas for entry! That way when you are transferred into the operating room in our hospital inside SF you'll be all ready cleaned up. Our ambulance is scheduled to take you there mid day tomorrow. Bed in a room has already been booked.

So, beginning to get a bit of a kick out of this ongoing hubb bubb [I don't flap easily - at all] I calmly asked: Why are you guys going to put tubes into my arteries. She says... so we can tell where we want to place the "stints" in your arteries. Wherein I said... please have the heart specialist come to my bed side way before your are planning to transport me to SF hospital!

Doctor comes in at 8 AM: I say" "Doc I want a stress test first; to prove I don't need stints... just blood pressure lowering meds." Doc says: "You could have heart attack while taking our strenuous stress test." I say: "I'm an athlete and confident that I can pass any stress test you give me." All I came here for were BP reduction meds." Doc repeats: "You could damage your heart." So, I ask: What's the percentage of failure in placing stints into arteries?" Dock states: "1 failure in 500." Wherein I loudly/confidently say: "I will not accept those odds unless I first fail a stress test and it is imperative that I get stints implanted!" Doc eventually relents: Okay, I'll schedule a stress test for 11 AM today."

In closing: I passed their harshest stress test with flying colors and checked out of the hospital late that afternoon with the meds I'd come for in hand. Since then I take meds on schedule and my blood pressure has lowered.

Additionally, other doctors have said the plaque in my arteries will be greatly dissipated due to these meds... in about three years. That within fours years I'll probably not need to keep taking BP lowering meds.

As a side note: The heart specialist/pulmonary doc called me a week latter and said I was correct - I do NOT currently require stints!

Lessons Here: Never get into an emotional flap; and, never take any specialists word until all alternatives have been researched and potentially tried out... to the fullest extent!

Ain't Life Grand!

I Love Pleasure Boating!!! :speed boat: :dance: :thumb: - Art

Last edited:
50% of our children will live to see 100.

Biggest increases in life expectancy were due to access to clean water and the proper handling of sewage.

Genetics rule.

Carry on folks.

Back
Top Bottom