Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-22-2019, 11:34 AM   #101
Veteran Member
 
skipperguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 57
Insurance

Not an authority but it seems that I remember hearing severe Federal penalties for fuel spills due to unanticipated sinkings. Liability insurance might be a wise move irrespective of other risks
__________________
Advertisement

skipperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:46 AM   #102
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugalert View Post
Depending on where you are in New York Harbor catch the Slack Water First Of the Flood at the Battery East River. Don't be a Deep Draft sail boat and don't hog the middle of the channel at the He'll Gate. The big tug barges go through the gate the same time. After passing X Rocks during the winter the wind comes from the NW so it is best to precede the north side of the Sound. A good place to anchor is New Haven or New London. Plan your eastbound trip the Race for the ebb. Once again for a winter trip it is NW but between the Race/Valiant Rock to Point Judith. There might be a southern swell from the ocean. This is just my opinion from many years towing oil barges on that route but as always use your best judgment.
I agree with your ideas - but if he has to time the tides along with the limited daylight as well as the weather windows I do not think he has factored the results of all those 3 simultaneously.
__________________

smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:47 AM   #103
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolomart3 View Post
If you want to buy a trawler with much better history than the one you indicated for probably about the same amount of money, let me know.
He bought the boat weeks ago.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:48 AM   #104
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperguy View Post
Not an authority but it seems that I remember hearing severe Federal penalties for fuel spills due to unanticipated sinkings. Liability insurance might be a wise move irrespective of other risks
He posted that both liability and hull insurance is already in place.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:06 PM   #105
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 31
I retired several years from being a NY Harbor tugboat captain. I also had a 7 knot pleasure tug ( Crosby Tug) and as much as possible timed the tides and currents. Weather entering N.Y. Harbor Narrows , going North up the Hudson River, transiting the East River, heading up the Delaware River, the boater who has a slow boat ( like mine ) It is best to time the currents. Once my 7 knot boat caught the fair current and was going 12 knots heading westbound between Hallett Point and the 59 street bridge. As far as anchoring in New Haven try just inside the middle breakwater in New Haven . As always this is my opinion and only the boater can make the proper decision as to the vessels navigation.

My maritime knowledge ( or lack of it ) comes of 27 years on commercial tugs and 4 years in the regular Coast Guard along with 22 additional years in the Coast Guard Reserve based on Governors Island, NY. Just when you might think you learn everything you find there is more to learn.
Tugalert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:03 AM   #106
Senior Member
 
City: Plymouth
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Morgan le Fay
Vessel Model: KK 42
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
I agree with your ideas - but if he has to time the tides along with the limited daylight as well as the weather windows I do not think he has factored the results of all those 3 simultaneously.
Au contraire, mon frère, might be worth mentioning that I'm a private pilot and an engineer, I overthink and over-calculate everything (but can make just as many mistakes as the next person). This thread exists to dig up knowledge I don't have, and there's plenty.

As others have reconfirmed, I have all insurances, I plan on shaking down the boat, and I feel I have to continually remind people that the weather window will be considered, and that could push the trip out to March or April. My greatest curiosity about weather window is what should my limits be in terms of forecast and buffer time, and I've received some great answers to that in this thread.

Thanks to everyone who provides valuable data. Irrational fear and blind trust can both be corrected by data.
bridaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:50 PM   #107
Veteran Member
 
City: Brookfield, CT
Country: United States
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridaus View Post
Au contraire, mon frère, might be worth mentioning that I'm a private pilot and an engineer, I overthink and over-calculate everything (but can make just as many mistakes as the next person). This thread exists to dig up knowledge I don't have, and there's plenty.

As others have reconfirmed, I have all insurances, I plan on shaking down the boat, and I feel I have to continually remind people that the weather window will be considered, and that could push the trip out to March or April. My greatest curiosity about weather window is what should my limits be in terms of forecast and buffer time, and I've received some great answers to that in this thread.

Thanks to everyone who provides valuable data. Irrational fear and blind trust can both be corrected by data.
Interesting read. I'm on the fence on whether I would make that trip this time of year. Obviously, you have worked it out thoroughly and I wish you the best.

Here's a data point to keep in mind regarding weather windows: They are much less predictable in the winter months than the rest of the year, mainly due to the jet stream moving around more unpredictably than the summer months. As a pilot, I imagine you have taken this into account. Taking a chance on weather conditions just to make a schedule has killed many pilots needlessly. In other words, check ALL your data points frequently underway.

If you haven't already done so, have a heart to heart with your Captain to make sure you are on the same page risk management-wise. You don't want to be arguing about changing the plan when conditions change. Also, sniff your Captain's coffee mug before you cast off. There may be more than coffee in there.
Tin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:26 PM   #108
Guru
 
City: Boston
Country: US
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridaus View Post
Au contraire, mon frère, might be worth mentioning that I'm a private pilot and an engineer, I overthink and over-calculate everything
then I expect to see a plot correlating wave height and period with wind speed and direction. MYSound - Central Long Island Sound Station - Wave Panel

(I am sure they have data going back a few years in usable format. A true engineer would go back at least 5 years )
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:30 PM   #109
Senior Member
 
City: Plymouth
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Morgan le Fay
Vessel Model: KK 42
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoWhat View Post
then I expect to see a plot correlating wave height and period with wind speed and direction. MYSound - Central Long Island Sound Station - Wave Panel

(I am sure they have data going back a few years in usable format. A true engineer would go back at least 5 years )
I was on this site a couple of days ago. Don't challenge me!!!

I am having conversations with my captain, and someone mentioned that I have it all figured out, that's definitely not true, that's why I'm learning here. You all have a lot to give and give a lot, thankful for it. For instance, sniff my captains mug, what a great idea. If it smells like cocoa only, then I'm not sure he truly knows what he's in for.... (kidding!)
bridaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:02 PM   #110
Senior Member
 
City: Marion, Massachusetts
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Wanderer
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 395
So more advice..... I think you are just a little too cautious (!) From NY to RI is not a 3 day trip. It’s 3 one day trips. If you hug the CT coastline and wait for the predominate winter wind (NW), there is a spot to duck in every 5-10 miles. So if you wake up in the morning, and the wind is nil to moderate NW and the tide is headed out the sound, perhaps you only get 5 or 6 hours that day. So you go 5-6 hours.

Seems you just need a list of docks that have power and are not iced in ( I see the iced in factor as the biggest issue for the next 4 weeks or so.) Any harbor that has a commercial fleet will have this (Norwalk comes to mind as one of the first a few hours east of Throgs Neck.

Wanting 3 days together is probably the biggest problem. But that seems a constraint foe economically getting a Captain.

I feel for you as I has my boat in a yard for 3 years that was 4.5 hours away. It doesn’t work out.
PMF1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:58 AM   #111
Senior Member
 
City: Plymouth
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Morgan le Fay
Vessel Model: KK 42
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 240
Update: Trip planned for two weeks from now. Many arduous visits to boat (driving the beast truck five hours each way, some of it in NYC traffic.) I've driven more hours than I've put in labor on the boat. Local yard really good to work with, and have helped out greatly (for a price of course, but still...).

Reread entire thread, feel like we're ready. We'll see. Weather is last determining factor.
bridaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:34 AM   #112
Veteran Member
 
CptnPete's Avatar
 
City: Scituate
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Morton & Hersloff Webbers Cove 40
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 48
Good time to move her. As we noted previously we did the trip last April - LI to Scituate in two days during a good weather window. Looks like the water is 2+ degrees warmer this year than last.

Curious what types of things you have been able to do with your new boat.

Good luck on the trip!
CptnPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:40 AM   #113
Senior Member
 
City: Plymouth
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Morgan le Fay
Vessel Model: KK 42
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnPete View Post
Good time to move her. As we noted previously we did the trip last April - LI to Scituate in two days during a good weather window. Looks like the water is 2+ degrees warmer this year than last.

Curious what types of things you have been able to do with your new boat.

Good luck on the trip!
Took her an hour down river at 5 knots. At 6 she wanted to overheat, found the freshwater heat exchanger 75% plugged, addressed that.

Fixed bilge pump (aft pump wasn't running at all), fixed depth finder, fixed random wiring, charged all batteries, fixed generator raw water pump, cleaned cleaned cleaned... probably a lot more...

What do you all use for maintenance logs? I'm going spreadsheet unless someone has something better...
bridaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:51 AM   #114
Guru
 
jleonard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,999
Best of luck on your trip. Enjoy!
__________________
Jay Leonard

New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:12 AM   #115
TF Site Team
 
City: Westerly, RI
Country: USA
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridaus View Post

What do you all use for maintenance logs? I'm going spreadsheet unless someone has something better...
I keep the maintenance in my head. It's not that hard.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:28 AM   #116
Veteran Member
 
CptnPete's Avatar
 
City: Scituate
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Morton & Hersloff Webbers Cove 40
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 48
I try to keep a spiral notebook of to-do lists each season. And list engine and generator oil and filter change dates, hours, and materials in respective manuals. But no real maint log - e.g. when i change a choker valve that is something i try to forget...Plus i usually have pics of stuff that requires attention before doing anything so if i need to go back and reference what has been done there is a dated record.
CptnPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:36 AM   #117
Guru
 
kchace's Avatar
 
City: Brookline, NH
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridaus View Post
Took her an hour down river at 5 knots. At 6 she wanted to overheat, found the freshwater heat exchanger 75% plugged, addressed that.

Fixed bilge pump (aft pump wasn't running at all), fixed depth finder, fixed random wiring, charged all batteries, fixed generator raw water pump, cleaned cleaned cleaned... probably a lot more...

What do you all use for maintenance logs? I'm going spreadsheet unless someone has something better...

I use a spreadsheet which covers both what I did and also the wish list of things "to do". I also write engine maint in a separate maintenance book.


Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:35 AM   #118
Senior Member
 
City: Plymouth
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Morgan le Fay
Vessel Model: KK 42
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 240
Boat is safely in RI as of last night. Trip was an adventure, but the water couldn't have been smoother and other than some fog it was almost completely uneventful. I'm not sure I could qualify bad power in one marina an event, though it did cause 30 minutes of unnecessary troubleshooting. I learned a lot from this trip, hope I can document it for others here or elsewhere...
bridaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:15 AM   #119
Veteran Member
 
City: Somerset
Country: USA
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 41
Love to hear about it. I delivered my FIL's sailboat from Huntington to Bristol a few years ago. Always an adventure with a new-used boat.

As far as documenting, I use a journal-type ships log. Especially when catching up deferred maintenence on an old boat. Record date and engine hours. I use the same log to record trips, fuel ups, and other use-events.
swampyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:40 AM   #120
Senior Member
 
City: Plymouth
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Morgan le Fay
Vessel Model: KK 42
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 240
What is a "journal-type ships log"?
__________________

bridaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×