Route Info From Newport RI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captmike1965

Hello,
First time poster and just found this forum.
I will be delivering a 1947 58' Classic MY from Newport RI to Sarasota Fl
First I have traveled the ICW from NY and NJ to Fl numerous times to deliver vessels to the east coast of FL. I have never delivered one from RI and have a few questions about my route.
The only leg I really need feed back on is the RI to NY. I grew up in the Manasquan NJ area so once I hit Sandy Hook Im in my home waters.

Vessel:
1947 Consolidated Marine
Lenght 58'
Draft 4-5'
Cruise Speed 12-14knts

Day 1:
Depart Norfolk right before first light and run to oyster bay or beyond as light lets me. On the hook or marina that evening.

Day2:
East river to Hudson then onto Sandy Hook
My goal would be to try to make Atlantic City but can always duck into Manasquan and take the ICW to Atalntic City. I grew up on the Barneget bay and know it well. I can also visit some family and friends along the way.

Day 3:
Atalntic City to cape May on the outside as the ICW from there on down is not conducive for my vessel. Run up the Cape May Channel to C and D Canal and travel as long as i can with daylight hours.

A little about myself. I now reside in Ft Myers Fl and know the waters well along the SWFL Coast, Keys and Bahamas. I have lived here for over 26 years and am on the water year round hence me Captaining this vessel to this area.

Any thoughts, comments and knowledge would be great for the RI to NY part of the journey

I think you would be well-advised to research the current in Hell Gate on the East River. You need to travel with the current going through there on the way to Sandy Hook.

I suspect you will have more trouble with the wakes from commuter boats in the East River than you will have with Hells Gate. Just keep your speed up to maintain steerage and you will be fine. I have done it in everything from slack to full flood and ebb. No problems.

And there is another option considering you can go 12-14 kts. When the wind is right, go offshore. It is about 145 NM from Newport to Atlantic Highlands so you can make it in 12 hours or less. There is nothing tricky about that route and even if you come in after dark the bouys around Sandy Hook are big and well lit.

I once came in about 2:00 AM. With radar showing the bouys, no sweat, well almost no sweat. A squall passed as I was coming around and it obliterated the bouys visually. Radar showed them nicely but I could only see them within 200 yards in the rain.

Check Windy.com before you go.

David

Last edited:
Thanks guys
As far as hells gate I have traveled that leg before and do agree with tides but am not worried about it with the vessel i am in.

I would love to do the outside leg and even shoot for Manasquan but I need a perfect weather window for that.

I appreciate the info you have given. Weather is going to dictate to me what route i take.
Thanks Mike

An alternate to Oyster bay would be Manhassett Bay which is just s few miles farther.
They have several nice FREE town moorings.
That gets yo really close to NYC to set up for an early morning run thru the madness.
Have a good trip.

Back
Top Bottom