californian goes down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder if a loss of cooling water was the root cause. That would lead to a rapid overheat in the exhaust and melting of rubber and FRP components. Everything downstream of the water injection ring requires that the exhaust be cooled.

The problem with round plugs is that they only work if the hole is perfectly round. Holes are usually irregular in shape. As in this case.

I carry two good size containers of StayAfloat - and once had to use it. Worked great

I lost Possum in the last hurricane that hit Miami.
Luckily I knew the right people and had it raised and the engine pickled within three days of the sinking.

The insurance company totaled it, paid me the policy value and offered to sell it back to me cheap. I didn’t need a project like that at that time so I took the money.

I did a little calculating. It turned out that the payoff just about equaled the premiums I had paid in over the twenty eight years I owned the boat.

I spoke with the guy who bought the boat from the insurance company and saw it in the yard he was working on it. Looked like he was doing a nice job.

Attachments

• FB4C63A7-78AE-47F2-839F-E42B03DB4D7F.jpg
    FB4C63A7-78AE-47F2-839F-E42B03DB4D7F.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 36
  • 02B7BF7D-209E-40B4-A06D-5C3AADC5AC7C.jpg
    02B7BF7D-209E-40B4-A06D-5C3AADC5AC7C.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 36
I wonder if a loss of cooling water was the root cause. That would lead to a rapid overheat in the exhaust and melting of rubber and FRP components. Everything downstream of the water injection ring requires that the exhaust be cooled.

I bet you’re right. The rubber looks charred and blistered in the photo.

If he had insurance, let the adjuster make the determination of rebuild or total.

Sometimes you can collect and buy the boat back cheap enough to rebuild yourself.

Suggest he retain an independent adjuster who works for him. The insurance company's adjuster works for them.

Mui Bummero Beers 30,

I’m on the San Joaquin as well and happy to hear you got everyone safely home. When I’m out on the water, I’m always asking myself “ok what could go wrong now and what would I do about it?” Never had “exhaust elbow coming apart“ in my scenarios but I sure do now. Looking up that rubber cone now!

Tak

Would you please forward the Amazon link?

One of the saddest and scariest days of my life. Out cruising with my wife, son, daughter in law and twin 4 year old grandsons when my boat started taking on water. Opened the hatch and just seen water gushing in. Had already filled up the bilge before I noticed and shorted out the bilge pump. I re started the boat and headed for the public boat ramp and tied her up to the dock. Got the girls and kids off the boat and my son and I bailed like crazy keeping up with the intake of water. A pump arrived and had it running for about 20 seconds when a large boat created a large wake and sunk my boat. Turns out that the exhaust elbow blew out from years of use. Might have been the original. If you don't have a plug big enough to plug your exhaust, I recommend getting one. On Amazon for about 20 bucks. It is a rubber cone that fits any size up to 4". Has anyone restored a sunken boat?
You should have grabbed a pillow and stuffed in there. Then had someone hold it while you got to the dock. The person that waked your boat and actually sunk it should be responsible for the actual sinking as you had pumps and was getting everything under control. Just my opinion.

What a nightmare. So sad to see. Glad you and your family are safe. I’ve been around and owned many boats. So far I’ve avoided sinking any that were not on purpose. Couple recommendations for you. If you are insured I would take the settlement and go shopping for another boat. The Time, work and money involved in restoring could/would be incredible. Next boat you might consider an easy to get to “oh she at bag” filled with many items such as: plugs, nerf balls, putty, good size tarp, Waxed toilet rings etc. etc. Oh and finally have easy access to a good mask and fins. Water intrusion can be difficult to find and get to inside. I also agree with Ben2go.-The guy that waked you sunk your boat and is liable. Find him and kick his...
Good luck/God bless

As with everyone else... I commend your quick action in getting the family to shore! Now a "novice" question for the group: I've seen two types of exhaust exits at transoms... one is just an open hole; one has a "flapper" (for lack of a better word). Would such a flapper have helped in such a situation? I understand the engine would have kept pumping cooling water into the bilge... but... I'm also thinking water would not have entered through the exhaust exit as easily?

Sorry to hear. What a nightmare!

The beach might have been a better bet than the dock?

The problem with round plugs is that they only work if the hole is perfectly round. Holes are usually irregular in shape. As in this case.

I carry two good size containers of StayAfloat - and once had to use it. Worked great

Isn't that just toilet 'wax ring' in different packaging?

You, sir, are a quick thinker with a bias for action. You understated all of the things you perceived, and then dealt with in quick fashion. Very well done.
I'm sorry you are faced with this new challenge, but your family should be proud of you.

One of the saddest and scariest days of my life. Out cruising with my wife, son, daughter in law and twin 4 year old grandsons when my boat started taking on water. Opened the hatch and just seen water gushing in. Had already filled up the bilge before I noticed and shorted out the bilge pump. I re started the boat and headed for the public boat ramp and tied her up to the dock. Got the girls and kids off the boat and my son and I bailed like crazy keeping up with the intake of water. A pump arrived and had it running for about 20 seconds when a large boat created a large wake and sunk my boat. Turns out that the exhaust elbow blew out from years of use. Might have been the original. If you don't have a plug big enough to plug your exhaust, I recommend getting one. On Amazon for about 20 bucks. It is a rubber cone that fits any size up to 4". Has anyone restored a sunken boat?
PHP:

If you search sailboatowners.com there is a long thread by a 747? Pilot that restored his hurricane damegedbo boat from the keel up.

One thing to consider if you choose to repair your boat is resale. I looked at a few really good deals on boats that had sunk. The surveyor I used said he seldom recommends buying a boat that had an insurance claim for sinking. I believe we are supposed to disclose major insurance claims for total value. At the least the resale value and ability to sell the boat may take a hit.

One thing to consider if you choose to repair your boat is resale. I looked at a few really good deals on boats that had sunk. The surveyor I used said he seldom recommends buying a boat that had an insurance claim for sinking. I believe we are supposed to disclose major insurance claims for total value. At the least the resale value and ability to sell the boat may take a hit.

I don’t think that there are requirements with boats for disclosure like there are for houses. I agree that you should disclose but I don’t think with boats it is required.

I don’t think that there are requirements with boats for disclosure like there are for houses. I agree that you should disclose but I don’t think with boats it is required.

Writing a disclosure statement into an offer to purchase is a wise thing to do.

Greetings,
Mr. TB. Welcome aboard.

Mr. 30. Boats can be replaced. Grandkids...not so much. Well done.

Bummer. We all dread that happening to our boats. But you have a good shot at everything working out. Disconnect your batteries and get everything drying out.

Tent it if you have to and put dehumidifiers in the tent. Did you have insurance? If so get he adjuster fast, but dont wait to move forward with mitigation! Get that boat dried out !

Update: the insurance declared the boat a total. Reimbursed the $10500.00 I had to pay the salvage company to raise the boat. I had the boat insured for a total of $15,000 so I will be getting a payback for that. Got a re wire estimate for 5 to 6 G. Motor has been drained and pickled. Should have running real soon. All interior except the v berth sides is in great shape. ( just replaced all interior so it just needed a good cleaning and drying out). Had just installed new helms in the upper and lower. All wood is still in fret shape too. The extra cash will replace the stove and refer that needed replaced anyways. California does not put a salvage title on boats so I should be in good shape. Thank you for all the positive comments!

Your insurer seems to be acting fairly, hope it all turns out well. BTW,I don`t think you identified the engine make, it might help someone else avoid disaster if you can.

Your insurer seems to be acting fairly, hope it all turns out well. BTW,I don`t think you identified the engine make, it might help someone else avoid disaster if you can.
. This boat has a 6 cyl Perkins 185 hp

What a nightmare!
Glad to hear everyone is ok.
I'm assuming there was no high water alarm in the bilge?
After my recent incident almost sinking her due to my corroded shaft packing gland ripping out the log hose,
I then installed a high water float switch, added 3 led bilge pump indicator for all 3 pumps up to the helm. I'll be adding a camera in the engine room soon.
Since she was a single screw trawler, I'm assuming it was impossible to use the other engine's raw water pump to bail that water out or shut it off.
A couple of old bicycle tubes & gorilla waterproof patch & seal tape would've possibly patch that elbow?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom