Manatee what to look for

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captn H

Looking at 1987 KK Manatee this weekend and looking for pointers to problem areas or where to look. I am told boat and it's original Volvo has 1200hrs. Been tied up dockside with no use or cleaning for a year (very sad looking)but has been started a few times. Any info would be great. Thanks

Sorry I missed this thread. There’s actually quite a few Manatee owners on this Forum, but like me, probably not monitoring much over the Holidays.

To begin with, don’t buy a Manatee without knowing what condition the bottom is in. These are fully cored hulls and when neglected, can become expensive fixes. These boats maintain their value if cared for. Everything on the boat can be fixed. Done right, you can enhance the boat’s demand/value.

A full peal, dry-out and reglass of the bottom could cost you 25k! Simply get your estimate and take it off the price you’re willing to pay. Original windows are likely leaking and in need of replacement. Pilothouse roofs are usually sagging by this time and may need reskinned or at least spot repaired. Deck cracks may soak some areas of the upper deck, needing balsa core repair.

The original Volvo TAMD-31 series engines are fantastic but parts are getting rare and always expensive. Get a good survey!

Find a surveyor who loves his hammer and moisture meter. These are old boats with a cult following and well worth fixing, but you need to start with knowing as much as you can learn about it.

The most expensive fixes will be for bottom, tankage, powertrain and deck, followed by electrical (rewiring) and perhaps interior rot from water intrusion.

One more thing. There may be one or two of these boats that were sunk and retrieved. Close up the boat for a few days and then look for mold when you open her up again. Those that may have sunk in salt water will show it.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Wow. I am not in the market for a boat but with so many potential/probable problems that are more or less traced back to poor design or build I think I would look for another brand. Not having a solid hull below the waterline would be a showstopper for me.

I hope the OP will report on the outcome.

I suppose some folks would see these common issues that way, but the O/P asked about what to watch out for, not what the benefits are. I’m not aware of any potential problems due to “poor build or design”. The hull was cored with closed-cell foam to avoid the absorption of moisture. It is lighter, quieter, and insulates the interior from condensation and temperature transmission. It does what it was designed to do very well.

The consequences are from various owners bad habits and neglect, just like any boat. Still, just like your own Hatteras LRC, owners obviously value the assets of the design and continue to pay big bucks for the best examples. Somehow (again, just like the Hatteras LRC’s), the Manatee’s appeal has produced an industry of enthusiasts who prefer to refit the ones showing the age & neglect mentioned above. Others enjoy the boat in whatever condition it is (including wet hulls) as it seems not to have much of an effect on the boat’s comfort, capability or performance.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom