Old 03-12-2019, 04:39 PM   #21

City: Camarillo
I stand corrected

I see in the blueprint the lay out & your right -- it is above the DWL.

So it shows an anchor locker bottom up about 6 to 12 inches above the water line when stationary & with No seas or waves. However there is still a drain hole that allows any excess water to drain to the bilge.

OP says his was glassed over, so that is what is causing the water to gather & stand there.

So I stand corrected. But I still would not drill a hole in the outer hull at the front of the bow that was 12 inches above the water line.

But it will drain when your at the dock.

Good luck.

Alfa Mike
alfamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:25 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Barcelona
Vessel Name: Verdblau
Vessel Model: Blue Ocean 45/47
lockers that drained into the bilge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripper View Post
Did all the KK42's have anchor lockers that drained into the bilge? I am in the process of drilling drain holes on either side so the lockers drain overboard, but I was kind of surprised to find that was where all the water in the bow was coming from.
My boat is a Blue Ocean 45' build by Chung Hwa 1985 and I have the same system. The water coming from the chain goes into the bilge. Not much water is coming in. It can be worst in a heavy rain. The chain should be covered so that it does not drive the rain water in.

If you do drills it has to be very well calculated because when the boat sinks the bow the water comes under a lot of pressure.

Armando
armando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:35 PM   #23
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
IMHO, your cure is worse than the problem.

My chain locker is above the water line, but i get very little water in the fwd blige grin the anchor chain.

Mt chain stays dry.

Drilling holes will open it up to getting water forced in and subsequent corrosion of the chain.

While my primary bilge pump won't turn on until water is above 1.5", I installed a much smaller bilge pump that drains into the shower sump.
This allows me to get virtually all the water out, if any accumulates.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:15 AM   #24

City: Hampton
You're not alone

All the early versions of the KK48 also had the anchor locker drain into the forward bilge. I looked into modifying our 48 (hull #5) by creating a well at the bottom of the locker and then running a drain tube to an exit just above the waterline but it was just too hard and (if done by the yard) expensive. I work VERY hard to keep the anchor chain clean as it comes up and try to allow as little water into the locker as possible. Most of the time our forward bilge is dry as a bone so I guess my efforts are paying off.
Tidetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:38 AM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Stamford Ct
Vessel Name: Salty Lady
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42
Iím with Wxx3, Running the hose to the shower sump would be the best. The configuration on my KK42 has the water from the chain dripping into the bilge, running under the holding tank, then to the after area of the forward stateroom bilge. Since itís rather flat in that area, it doesnít get an opportunity to pump out. If I added a hose it would be one of 1Ē diameter running to the shower sump.
Large diameter to accommodate the bits of mud and critters which seem to come up on my ďcleanedĒ chain. I doubt Iíll ever do the job since itís never really been an issue.
Just my 2 cents....
Dcbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:24 PM   #26
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
IMHO, your cure is worse than the problem.

I agree with Richard and others here. Donít do it.

Jim
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:48 PM   #27

City: Sitka
Vessel Name: Ventana
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
I appreciate the input from everyone. This all started as a solution to having standing water in the forepeak bilge. After several folks noted that they get very little water coming in from the anchor chain, I started digging further. Turns out the water is not coming in from the anchor chain, so I can move on to one of the dozens of other projects on the boat.
Ventana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:37 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Stamford Ct
Vessel Name: Salty Lady
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripper View Post
I appreciate the input from everyone. This all started as a solution to having standing water in the forepeak bilge. After several folks noted that they get very little water coming in from the anchor chain, I started digging further. Turns out the water is not coming in from the anchor chain, so I can move on to one of the dozens of other projects on the boat.

Dcbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:43 PM   #29
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
Apologies for being flippant when a serious discussion is under way but for our cruising lifestyle we never anchor out.
Instead we removed the anchor and it's chocks, stowed them and the chain in the bilge as ballast.
We then lined the anchor locker with expanded polyurethane foam sheets and we buy our favourite quality wines in the late autumn spring when the vintners sell off their wines cheap to make way for the new harvest.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:48 AM   #30
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
Priorities, love it ! I met a single handler Monk 36 owner who used the micro sized bath tub as a beer cooler, filled the tub with beer and ice, worked perfect, even had a built in water drain. He also removed the walk around queen and made the aft stateroom into a lounge area with his cold beer close by.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote