Old 07-02-2022, 07:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Aix en Provence
Vessel Name: Croix du Sud
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Europa # 842
Windscreen washing

Hi All
On my 1988 GB 36, cleaning the three panel windscreen is done with FW flowing vertically from above through three small hoses.
A crude design indeed that could be improved in expanding the wet zone.
I considered installing car windscreen water pipes but it was unsuited as water couldnít flow vertically enough.
Did someone search (and found) a suitable device ?
Thanks for reading
JeanL
Croix du Sud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:02 AM   #2

City: Punta Gorda
Wiper jets

I have a switch activated solenoid water valve it has a hose by the pivot point leading to a jet on the wiper arm.

I t uses a tap off of pressure fresh water
Rich J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks for your attention.
Yes, the ę*wet*Ľ wiper arm might be the solution. Not that easy to implement (as a replacement, I mean)
Have a nice week-end
Jean
Old 07-11-2022, 03:24 PM   #4
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Rain-X. That's how I deal with the wash from above nonsense. One of the valves on my EB47 started leaking, so I took the easy way out any just turned off water to them. The Rain-X seems to last me a season or two, and works well enough that I don't typically need to run the wipers unless it's a serious amount of rain.
Old 07-11-2022, 04:20 PM   #5

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Sea Ranger 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Rain-X. That's how I deal with the wash from above nonsense. One of the valves on my EB47 started leaking, so I took the easy way out any just turned off water to them. The Rain-X seems to last me a season or two, and works well enough that I don't typically need to run the wipers unless it's a serious amount of rain.
Agree with this, once the glass has been compound polished and all the built up salt has been removed (for the first time), a once a season application of Rainex (original mixture, not the watered down product) usually is enough.
If I know Iím going into heavy weather, and itís been a few months since last application, I use a damp chamois to wipe off any dust/fallout, and reapply another coat or two. This takes only a few minutes for an excellent result.
My preference is to helm from lower station on passage, so good forward vision is essential.
Southern Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 05:17 PM   #6
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
My experience with RaineX is good when it comes to rain. When I brought the boat up from LA we had no rain. What we had was 20 kts on the nose and now wipers. The salt spray was evaporating before it could run down the window. It wasn't long before the windows were salted over.

I think working wipers with fresh water sprayers is pretty important when cruising off shore.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 05:44 PM   #7

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Sea Ranger 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
My experience with RaineX is good when it comes to rain. When I brought the boat up from LA we had no rain. What we had was 20 kts on the nose and now wipers. The salt spray was evaporating before it could run down the window. It wasn't long before the windows were salted over.

I think working wipers with fresh water sprayers is pretty important when cruising off shore.
After a serious salt spray session, mine gets tiny dots of accumulated residue, but very clear vision.
Who knows, maybe lower salinity levels or application process? It works great for me.

Sometimes it takes a second go with the mechanical buff with a good cutting compound to get the accumulated crud off the glass, it did with my latest boat, followed by two coats of Rainex, wipe off residue and good to go. I haven’t re-buffed the glass for nearly three years now.
Southern Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 12:06 AM   #8
Guru

City: Gooding ID/Wrangell AK
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
I gave up on Rainex 7 years ago and started using carnuba car wax after cleaning any water spots off the windows with rubbing compound. It lasts most of the summer in SE Ak and rarely have to use the wipers.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 12:25 AM   #9
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Be careful, esp if you have wood framed windows. I know an IG36(not mine) where fresh water leaked continuously from the water spray nozzles,over time leading to lots of rot.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 06:38 AM   #10
Guru

City: Montgomery
Vessel Name: Choices
Vessel Model: 36 Grand Banks Europa
You could easily run a rubber hose from the copper line to the wiper.

But mine work great. We only operate one or two windows at a time, with new wipers.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 07:30 AM   #11
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpbrady View Post
I gave up on Rainex 7 years ago and started using carnuba car wax after cleaning any water spots off the windows with rubbing compound. It lasts most of the summer in SE Ak and rarely have to use the wipers.

Tom

I've found on cars that good wax doesn't work quite as well as RainX, but it lasts longer.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 08:46 AM   #12
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I've found on cars that good wax doesn't work quite as well as RainX, but it lasts longer.
How about polymer sealants ?

Sent from my LE2121 using Trawler Forum mobile app
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 08:50 AM   #13
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
How about polymer sealants ?

Sent from my LE2121 using Trawler Forum mobile app
Good question. I haven't personally tried that, but hopefully someone has and can provide insight.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 11:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Agree with Tiltrider1.
Mediterranean water is very salty and sprays leave a white coat of material on windscreen so a good quantity of fresh water is needed.
From this point of view, the GBís original system is adequate. What is not is the limited rinsed area.
Will investigate the built-in water spraying wipers but I suspect that these are OK on cars screens but not on boats. In the Med, I mean.
Old 07-13-2022, 03:04 AM   #15
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Steps outside with rag soaked in fresh water
Squeegees off
Rinse and repeat.
Old 07-13-2022, 05:30 AM   #16
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
My experience with Rain-X is good when it comes to rain. When I brought the boat up from LA we had no rain. What we had was 20 kts on the nose and now wipers. The salt spray was evaporating before it could run down the window. It wasn't long before the windows were salted over.

Fair point.
Old 07-13-2022, 06:01 AM   #17
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Good question. I haven't personally tried that, but hopefully someone has and can provide insight.
Some of the new ceramic spray "waxes" for cars also work on windshields. I've tried them but can't really say they are any better than rain-x. But there are so many products today, maybe I haven't found the right one yet. It's cheap enough and no harm in trying something like this. I probably do rain-x about once a month because it's easy enough to do. However, I still need wipers at times and occasionaly washers too.

https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage...omotive&sr=1-3
Old 07-13-2022, 07:25 AM   #18
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Agree it’s not rain (fresh) that’s the major problem but rather spray(salt). Usually when that’s an issue it’s bumpy and not fun to hand wipe with a fresh water rag. Fortunately the NT allows you to spray windshield wiper fluid via the wipers. You can go through it fast but the reservoir is under the inside helm. There a horizontal lift up panel that some of the electronics are mounted on. So it a two person job to refill while underway.
Haven’t found rainx helpful for dried or partially dried salt spray so don’t bother with it. Have wondered about adding something to the windshield wiper spray fluid that would more rapidly clear dried salt spray. Any thoughts on what to use?
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 07:42 AM   #19
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocampus View Post
Agree itís not rain (fresh) thatís the major problem but rather spray(salt). Usually when thatís an issue itís bumpy and not fun to hand wipe with a fresh water rag. Fortunately the NT allows you to spray windshield wiper fluid via the wipers. You can go through it fast but the reservoir is under the inside helm. There a horizontal lift up panel that some of the electronics are mounted on. So it a two person job to refill while underway.
Havenít found rainx helpful for dried or partially dried salt spray so donít bother with it. Have wondered about adding something to the windshield wiper spray fluid that would more rapidly clear dried salt spray. Any thoughts on what to use?
My first question would be, can you plumb your washers to your fresh water system? That's how mine is. Presumably, yours feeds from a resevoir for freezing conditions I'd guess? I suppose it would also be useful if you found something other than fresh water worked better. You might want to try adding a little white vinegar. Otherwise, my washing is only limited by my fresh water supply.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:28 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Right Simi 60 !
Thatís exactly what I do, but with a sponge.
Not really a XXIst century method. Neither a XXth one.
Currently trying to make a technology jump
Jean