Windscreen washing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Croix du Sud

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Croix du Sud
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 36 Europa # 842
Hi All
On my 1988 GB 36, cleaning the three panel windscreen is done with FW flowing vertically from above through three small hoses.
A crude design indeed that could be improved in expanding the wet zone.
I considered installing car windscreen water pipes but it was unsuited as water couldn’t flow vertically enough.
Did someone search (and found) a suitable device ?
Thanks for reading
JeanL

Wiper jets

I have a switch activated solenoid water valve it has a hose by the pivot point leading to a jet on the wiper arm.

I t uses a tap off of pressure fresh water

Thanks for your attention.
Yes, the «*wet*» wiper arm might be the solution. Not that easy to implement (as a replacement, I mean)
Have a nice week-end
Jean

Rain-X. That's how I deal with the wash from above nonsense. One of the valves on my EB47 started leaking, so I took the easy way out any just turned off water to them. The Rain-X seems to last me a season or two, and works well enough that I don't typically need to run the wipers unless it's a serious amount of rain.

Rain-X. That's how I deal with the wash from above nonsense. One of the valves on my EB47 started leaking, so I took the easy way out any just turned off water to them. The Rain-X seems to last me a season or two, and works well enough that I don't typically need to run the wipers unless it's a serious amount of rain.

Agree with this, once the glass has been compound polished and all the built up salt has been removed (for the first time), a once a season application of Rainex (original mixture, not the watered down product) usually is enough.
If I know I’m going into heavy weather, and it’s been a few months since last application, I use a damp chamois to wipe off any dust/fallout, and reapply another coat or two. This takes only a few minutes for an excellent result.
My preference is to helm from lower station on passage, so good forward vision is essential.

My experience with RaineX is good when it comes to rain. When I brought the boat up from LA we had no rain. What we had was 20 kts on the nose and now wipers. The salt spray was evaporating before it could run down the window. It wasn't long before the windows were salted over.

I think working wipers with fresh water sprayers is pretty important when cruising off shore.

My experience with RaineX is good when it comes to rain. When I brought the boat up from LA we had no rain. What we had was 20 kts on the nose and now wipers. The salt spray was evaporating before it could run down the window. It wasn't long before the windows were salted over.

I think working wipers with fresh water sprayers is pretty important when cruising off shore.

After a serious salt spray session, mine gets tiny dots of accumulated residue, but very clear vision.
Who knows, maybe lower salinity levels or application process? It works great for me.

Sometimes it takes a second go with the mechanical buff with a good cutting compound to get the accumulated crud off the glass, it did with my latest boat, followed by two coats of Rainex, wipe off residue and good to go. I haven’t re-buffed the glass for nearly three years now.

Last edited:
I gave up on Rainex 7 years ago and started using carnuba car wax after cleaning any water spots off the windows with rubbing compound. It lasts most of the summer in SE Ak and rarely have to use the wipers.

Tom

Be careful, esp if you have wood framed windows. I know an IG36(not mine) where fresh water leaked continuously from the water spray nozzles,over time leading to lots of rot.

You could easily run a rubber hose from the copper line to the wiper.

But mine work great. We only operate one or two windows at a time, with new wipers.

I gave up on Rainex 7 years ago and started using carnuba car wax after cleaning any water spots off the windows with rubbing compound. It lasts most of the summer in SE Ak and rarely have to use the wipers.

Tom

I've found on cars that good wax doesn't work quite as well as RainX, but it lasts longer.

Agree with Tiltrider1.
Mediterranean water is very salty and sprays leave a white coat of material on windscreen so a good quantity of fresh water is needed.
From this point of view, the GB’s original system is adequate. What is not is the limited rinsed area.
Will investigate the built-in water spraying wipers but I suspect that these are OK on cars screens but not on boats. In the Med, I mean.

Steps outside with rag soaked in fresh water
Squeegees off
Rinse and repeat.

My experience with Rain-X is good when it comes to rain. When I brought the boat up from LA we had no rain. What we had was 20 kts on the nose and now wipers. The salt spray was evaporating before it could run down the window. It wasn't long before the windows were salted over.

Fair point.

Good question. I haven't personally tried that, but hopefully someone has and can provide insight.

Some of the new ceramic spray "waxes" for cars also work on windshields. I've tried them but can't really say they are any better than rain-x. But there are so many products today, maybe I haven't found the right one yet. It's cheap enough and no harm in trying something like this. I probably do rain-x about once a month because it's easy enough to do. However, I still need wipers at times and occasionaly washers too.

https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garag...ss+sealant&qid=1657709862&s=automotive&sr=1-3

Agree it’s not rain (fresh) that’s the major problem but rather spray(salt). Usually when that’s an issue it’s bumpy and not fun to hand wipe with a fresh water rag. Fortunately the NT allows you to spray windshield wiper fluid via the wipers. You can go through it fast but the reservoir is under the inside helm. There a horizontal lift up panel that some of the electronics are mounted on. So it a two person job to refill while underway.
Haven’t found rainx helpful for dried or partially dried salt spray so don’t bother with it. Have wondered about adding something to the windshield wiper spray fluid that would more rapidly clear dried salt spray. Any thoughts on what to use?

Agree it’s not rain (fresh) that’s the major problem but rather spray(salt). Usually when that’s an issue it’s bumpy and not fun to hand wipe with a fresh water rag. Fortunately the NT allows you to spray windshield wiper fluid via the wipers. You can go through it fast but the reservoir is under the inside helm. There a horizontal lift up panel that some of the electronics are mounted on. So it a two person job to refill while underway.
Haven’t found rainx helpful for dried or partially dried salt spray so don’t bother with it. Have wondered about adding something to the windshield wiper spray fluid that would more rapidly clear dried salt spray. Any thoughts on what to use?

My first question would be, can you plumb your washers to your fresh water system? That's how mine is. Presumably, yours feeds from a resevoir for freezing conditions I'd guess? I suppose it would also be useful if you found something other than fresh water worked better. You might want to try adding a little white vinegar. Otherwise, my washing is only limited by my fresh water supply.

Right Simi 60 !
That’s exactly what I do, but with a sponge.
Not really a XXIst century method. Neither a XXth one.
Currently trying to make a technology jump
Jean

Right Simi 60 !
Jean

I would not find that very practical in rough conditions. Not just the difficulty in walking outside on the deck, but also the frequency that you would need to do it. I guess it depends a lot on the boat and the conditions. In rough weather, when I'm taking spray on the windshield continuously, I prefer to stay safe and dry at the helm.

Thanks for the reply. I like using automotive windshield fluid rather than plain fresh water. At a buck a gallon a trivial expense. Think it does do better with salt spray than just fresh water. Just wondering how to enhance it a bit. Know it does better with guano, bugs and dirt the just FW as well. It’s just dried spray that’s the concern. It works but on a long trip you go through a lot of it.

I think the biggest issue is when taking light spray on a hot, sunny day where things dry fast. That's when you'll need fluid to get the salt off the glass. If you're taking constant, heavy spray it's unlikely to dry within the wiper path due to constant new water and constant use of the wipers.

Can some outline the buffing the glass method. I have tried clay but it doesn’t do much.

Addressing the original inquiry: I plan on cutting three short lengths of 3/8" copper tubing, squeezing one end flat on each, rounding that end a bit on the grinder and drilling four or five tiny holes into the end of the arc just created. Then, slip this "fan" tip over the washer tubes to create fan sprays.

Right Simi 60 !
Jean

In all fairness, it takes a fair bit of weather to get salt up on the wheelhouse windows on our old girl
And as we pick our weather windows for travel it's generally good conditions and no rain
And if there is, stepping out is pretty safe with a Portugese bridge wrapping around at mid torso height

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom