Fly Bridge seating 42 MY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tallandshort

Vessel Name
Time
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42 MY
Wondering if anyone has removed the back to back seating on the bridge and replaced with helm chairs and comfortable seating aft of them?

I did on a 40 Albin trunk cabin.

I found the seats useless except for storage and figured I would do it when I tore up the crumbling teak deaks.

Filled in part of the backrest hole on the flybridge fairing. Built custom storage with doors for fishing rods in the dead space in the fairing.

Used various cairs through the years and a large plastic box for life jacket and misc. storage.

We did this on our Lindell.
The back to back seats were really a bad idea on this boat and once of the must-dos we planned when we bought it. The change transformed the flybridge and now we entertain up there quite often.

I don't have a good picture of the before but the first two pictures will give you an idea of the original design.

Attachments

• LINDELL 36_00241.jpg
    LINDELL 36_00241.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 25
  • LINDELL 36_00238.jpg
    LINDELL 36_00238.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5974.jpg
    IMG_5974.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5954.jpg
    IMG_5954.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 28
I don’t think you would regret changing the seats over. For sure it would be more comfortable. If you do it with pedestal seats just make sure the seats are through bolted and have a sturdy backing plate so you don’t end up on the deck with a big wave…

The new configuration looks great. Even your original back to back seats look much more comfortable than the stock Grand Banks seats!

our 1990 42 MY came with 2 helm seats (ordered from the factory I believe, although the seats are not the original.

Attachments

• IMG_6554 (1).jpg
    IMG_6554 (1).jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 14
Having had a MT in the past, I knew I wanted higher more comfortable seats.( If it were easier to post a pic I would. )
Bought 2 seat/storage boxes with footrests and will mount Todd Cape Cod seats on them. And BTW I have a REAL nice one for sale.

Having had a MT in the past, I knew I wanted higher more comfortable seats.( If it were easier to post a pic I would. )
Bought 2 seat/storage boxes with footrests and will mount Todd Cape Cod seats on them. And BTW I have a REAL nice one for sale.

I'd be interested in seeing your solutions. I am considering the same approach. I've already removed my back-to-back too low seating, we just use folding deck chairs for now, but could use more storage space.

Bridge seats

Heres the pedestals I bought, and one with a Todd seat on it simulated. (I know someone who will reupholster the seat)
The sink was the first thing to go, still thinking about the table thing

Attachments

• XX1.jpg
    XX1.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 10
  • XX2.jpg
    XX2.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom