Teleflex controls not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaFlorida

Veteran Member
Hello, we own two (2) single level electronic controls (upper and lower helms). Model number CH64600. The upper control station is no longer working correctly. It placed the single Yanmar engine rpm high (which i did not know) and when I moved the control arm it slammed the engine into reverse. The green and yellow indicator lights are not very bright on the upper helm.

The select button does not seem to work any longer. The lower helm control station works, but when I turn on the D.C. engine switch on, the green and yellow lights use to turn on. Now the green light turns on and then off on both the upper and lower control stations. Can I take apart the control station and see if it is corroded? Also can I easily remove the attached black cables and switch upper and lower control stations?

Apparently this item is no longer listed for sale. If I have to buy new controls I’m wondering if I could interface with the existing control module?

Thank you,
Linda

Attachments

• 378228EF-16DE-4854-8E27-76BBF8901800.jpg
    378228EF-16DE-4854-8E27-76BBF8901800.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 18
I don’t know anything about this control. Having said that I would do the simple stuff first. Check all the connections, reseat the plugs, if any. Check the voltage at the suspect control. Then start looking for parts. Maybe something came loose or got some corrosion on it.

Thanks, there is only one large electrical cable that is firmly attached to the bottom of the device. I’m hoping that once I remove the device, there is a way of opening it.

Let me offer some unsolicited advice. Your question indicates a lack of experience and understanding of this control system. First, good on you for having the gumption to tackle this.

Now, the advice. After you've disassembled and perhaps found and fixed the problem, even if it appears to be a simple as corrosion, be very careful when you first test. You've already experienced one failure and fortunately nothing bad happened. Be sure you are well secured to the dock for the dockside test. Know an effective and quick alternative method to shut the engine down and or get the transmission into neutral. Some way other than simply trying another control station. This is also important for the first underway test.

All control systems of any kind can fail. Electronic, cable, mechanical, pneumatic or hydraulic. I've experienced or seen failures in all of them. If you are unfortunate enough to get a failure mode with both high throttle and the transmission stuck in gear nothing good comes of that.

Resolved!

I contacted the manufacturer and tech support walked me through resolving the issue. The problem was that the control head needed to be calibrated.

Thanks for everyone’s response

I contacted the manufacturer and tech support walked me through resolving the issue. The problem was that the control head needed to be calibrated.

Thanks for everyone’s response

Hey Linda,
I haven't encountered this problem (yet) but have the same controls on my 2009 MS 34T.

Could you please share the calibration procedure for future reference for me and the forum?

Thx

Hey Linda,
I haven't encountered this problem (yet) but have the same controls on my 2009 MS 34T.

Could you please share the calibration procedure for future reference for me and the forum?

Thx
Unfortunately the calibration procedure is a little involved. After contacting the manufacturer, I was hoping for written instructions. But the technician walked me through the procedure on the phone.

We have two helm stations. The technician asked questions on the status of the yellow and green indicator lights. (Maybe each incident might be different) The calibration involved removing the cable control connection from the lower helm control. And then having to go up and down the stairs to each helm control in order to push the neutral/select buttons and moving the throttle arm as directed.

After the calibration, the control now works better than before. Much smoother and when selecting the buttons they seem to respond better too.

The technician did mention that older throttle controls should be calibrated after many years of use.

We were ready to purchase two new expensive controls. Can’t say enough about the patience and knowledge of the technician.

Hopefully this helps.

Back
Top Bottom