NextGen 3.5 start toggle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duetto

Vessel Name
GEM
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 34
hi all,

we have a 2003 pilot 34 with a nextgen 3.5 generator. i believe the start switch is starting to fail. i'm trying to find out the make and model of the switch. when i pulled the panel to get a better look at it, i found it buried among a forest of wires. it isn't possible to see the markings on the switch.

the switch has 2 toggles. the upper toggle controls the current to the lower toggle. the lower toggle is a 3 position, spring loaded to center. the upper toggle has 2 spade connectors and the bottom has 6 spades.

i spoke to nextgen and they said they don't use that type of control, so they couldn't help. a quick internet search didn't yield anything close to it.

i hope someone can tell me the make & model of the switch.

It sounds like your boat dealer or a PO installed a custom switch on the electrical panel. The more typical installation uses a single two position momentary contact toggle switch, provided by NextGen. One position is the glow plug and stop. The other position is crank. The NextGen wiring diagram shows these clearly.

I would first look for generic switches that you can use to replace what you have. If that doesn’t work, then buy NextGen’s switch and install it in place of what you have.

And FWIW, switches rarely fail. More likely a bad connection or a bad relay. The latter do fail frequently.

David

after looking closer at my pics, it appears there are 2 switches mounted right next to each other with no space.

the problem is that the starting problem is intermittent and i was trying to have a replacement on hand when it finally dies.

i already have a spare relay.

thanks for your input.

John, what is it do/not doing? The reason I ask is because I was having an issue with my nextgen 3.5 recently. Sometimes when the switch was pressed to start I would get nothing, sometimes the engine would crank and not turn over, sometimes it would crank and start. It turn out the run solenoid was weak, sometimes it would pull in and other times it would not. I checked the switch with a multimeter and it was fine. When the genny would crank but not start I could see the run solenoid not engaging and with a slight push it pulled in and it started. I called nextgen and and got a replacement in 2 day’s time. Every time since changing it out the genny has always started on the first try and no more issues with the switch being pushed and nothing happening.

Last edited:
kevin,

thanks for the feedback. at this point it's just sometimes when i push to start, there is nothing. then i flick it back and forth and it works. a friend and i will be doing the multimeter testing. the problem is, as always, checking at exactly the right time.

on another note, did u replace whole starter or just the solenoid? if just the solenoid, do you have part number?

thanks

John,
Sorry, it’s actually called the run solenoid. I don’t have the part number but if you call nextgen they will know exactly what your talking about. It’s talked about in the troubleshooting section of the manual on page 33. Here is a link to the manual if you don’t have it and the picture with the run solenoid circled. It’s just a few nuts and wire connectors to swap it out. Hope this all helps.

http://www.nextgenerationpower.com/Info/Support/UCM1-35.pdf

Attachments

• IMG_7907.jpg
    IMG_7907.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 11
After it died (seized up due to exhaust water backup due to a stupid exhaust run installation by Mainship), I bought a new NG 3.5 which arrived with its own single rocker switch starter panel which also included an hour meter. The Mainship-installed remote starting 2-switch setup on the power panel in the cabin was working fine; so, in order to have an hour meter, I installed the NG starter panel adjacent to the generator as a LOCAL start panel. This panel is a blessing to have right at the genny for troubleshooting and to assist when I am running a freshwater rinse through the unit. Unlike the main power panel two-switch setup, this local starting panel does not switch on the SeaFire fire suppression system for the genny.

The two-switch system at the main power panel is just a single-pole, single-throw switch to energize the SeaFire fire suppression system for the genny and a momentary double-pole, double-throw, spring-loaded-to-center switch serving as the glow plug and starter switch, neither of which should be hard to find. The generator can be started from the main power panel WITHOUT bothering to turn on the SeaFire system switch.

BTW, the SeaFire system is automatically energized when you fire up the main engine, but not for the NG, unless the single pole switch at the power panel. Switch that single pole switch off while the generator is running some time to see the SeaFire power-on light go out up at the helm, and you should see the generator continue running merrily along.

rich, thanks for the info on the functions that the toggles perform. by chance do you know if the mainship panel switch is the same physical dimensions as the ng panel one?

kevin, we're talking about 2 different things. you're talking about the FUEL run solenoid which gets energized and opens the fuel valve to enable starting. i'm talking about the starter solenoid which is part of the starter. i spoke to nextgen about it to get the part number but they didn't have it. they did say it was a densmo starter.

rich, thanks for the info on the functions that the toggles perform. by chance do you know if the mainship panel switch is the same physical dimensions as the ng panel one?

kevin, we're talking about 2 different things. you're talking about the FUEL run solenoid which gets energized and opens the fuel valve to enable starting. i'm talking about the starter solenoid which is part of the starter. i spoke to nextgen about it to get the part number but they didn't have it. they did say it was a densmo starter.

The Mainship and NG switches are NOT the same, with the NG-provided rocker switch looking like the Carling switch Mainship used under the helm for engine starting, nav lights, cockpit lights, etc.

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood your situation. Best of luck getting it sorted out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom