Old 09-06-2021, 05:50 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Backinblue
GP 24s seem small for B& S thrusters... maybe OK for start. You might fo some V checks to document what the V drop is for various times of thruster use.
Even if "normal" thruster use is very short you may be surprised one day by an u expected current or gust that you might wish you had more than minimal thrust.
One such occurrence sticks in my mind when approaching a marina fuel dock and and encountered an unexpected current eddy that was pushing me into rock rip rap. My thrusters saved me but it was an attention getter for sure.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:55 PM   #22

City: Green Cove Springs
There is typically a thermal switch that trips the thrusters off to prevent over heating. Each time it trips it gets weaker, meaning you get less runtime. Whenever we have a time out we replace the switch. Strong batteries fully charged and fresh thermal switches will give optimal performance from the motors. Might want to check that the blades are clean as well.
bethlowrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 06:04 AM   #23
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Backinblue
GP 24s seem small for B& S thrusters... maybe OK for start. You might fo some V checks to document what the V drop is for various times of thruster use.
Even if "normal" thruster use is very short you may be surprised one day by an u expected current or gust that you might wish you had more than minimal thrust.
One such occurrence sticks in my mind when approaching a marina fuel dock and and encountered an unexpected current eddy that was pushing me into rock rip rap. My thrusters saved me but it was an attention getter for sure.
Thanks Bacchus. They are fairly new batteries, maybe when I replace them I will go larger. I'll keep an eye on the voltage, usually my attention is elsewhere, but I'll take a look.
Old 09-07-2021, 12:42 PM   #24

City: Essington, PA.
Vessel Name: Nepidae
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Sundeck
Mainship Thrusters

This is a good example of why not to rely on thrusters.

Today it's a bad or under charged battery, thermocoupler & tomorrow it's the motor or corroded blades.

People with thrusters use them all the time and lose the ability to pilot without them. In my mind, bad practice.

I say that because when you are traveling down a fairway and using thrusters to get in the slip and they stop working and the pilot doesn't know what to do, he/she hits my boat.

BTW, doubt that the thruster was manufactured by Mainship. You may want to chase down who's the manufacturer as you undoubtedly will need parts at sometime in the future. Usually a maintenance headache.
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 05:45 PM   #25
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepidae View Post
This is a good example of why not to rely on thrusters.

Today it's a bad or under charged battery, thermocoupler & tomorrow it's the motor or corroded blades.

People with thrusters use them all the time and lose the ability to pilot without them. In my mind, bad practice.

I say that because when you are traveling down a fairway and using thrusters to get in the slip and they stop working and the pilot doesn't know what to do, he/she hits my boat.

BTW, doubt that the thruster was manufactured by Mainship. You may want to chase down who's the manufacturer as you undoubtedly will need parts at sometime in the future. Usually a maintenance headache.
I hear the argument that those with thrusters should not use them as you don't know when they will quit.
Why don't those with twins preach the same sentiment... you better not dock with your twins as you will never know when you don't have that luxury so you better operate only on only one engine at a time.

I get the idea of practice and be prepared for the unexpected but it seems the negative sentiment is primarily the mucho macho type that "don't have and don't need those darn thrusters and nobody should rely on or use them"

If you don't do any PM beware anything you operate can quit at anytime... and when you least expect it.
Old 09-07-2021, 05:51 PM   #26
Guru

Not sure I understand the point. I love having thrusters but also practice manuevering w/o them. They are a great feature and make boating easier. Much like having a GPS instead of paper charts. Should we all give up our electronics because they could potentially fail some day?

BTW thursters are Side-Power / Sleipner. I may be wrong but I don't know of any boat builder that designs their own thrusters.
Old 09-07-2021, 05:52 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I have taught boat handling for 30 years with the CG Auxiliary including testing people for boat crew and coxswain. We are putting thrusters on our new boat so that my wife will not need to go on the bow to handle dock lines and we are getting older. Older means not as strong and more unsteady. If having thrusters will lengthen our boating life then there isnt anything wrong with thrusters. It does tend to irk me when people say just learn how to handle your boat. Well I know how to handle the boat but you cant overcome the age thing.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 06:04 PM   #28
Guru

Thanks Comodave. Well-said. Many modern devices make boating easier. You can use them and enjoy them w/o being 100% dependent on them. You don't need much more than a chart and a compass to go boating, but who wants to give up their GPS, Autopilot, Thrusters, Windlass, etc, just because they can possibly fail some day. I like Bacchus' example, how many people with twin engines practice docking with one?
Old 09-07-2021, 06:15 PM   #29
TF Site Team

Dave
Well said... maybe better than my response. Its just a pet peave or hot button when the naysayers preach!

I look at it the same way if it makes life easier and allows us to boat longer I'm all for it. Thats why we own the boat we do... to keep us in the game.

I added a wireless remote so I can use the thrusters anywhere anytime... I guess that is sacrilege to the naysayers... another failure point Oh no!
Old 09-07-2021, 06:19 PM   #30
TF Site Team

Everything can fail, you just deal with it when it fails and find a work around.
Old 09-07-2021, 06:37 PM   #31
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
I bought a boat that had bow and stern thrusters. I liked using them so much I installed dedicated battery banks and appropriately sized cable.

My thrusters now run at full power for as long as I ask them to. I don't believe they're any more prone to sudden failure than any other system on the boat.

These things use huge amounts of power. I'm convinced that the majority of thruster issues discussed here can be traced back to inadequate battery capacity and/or cabling. It sure sounds like that's the case for the OP.
Jeff F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:04 PM   #32
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
I bought a boat that had bow and stern thrusters. I liked using them so much I installed dedicated battery banks and appropriately sized cable.

My thrusters now run at full power for as long as I ask them to. I don't believe they're any more prone to sudden failure than any other system on the boat.

These things use huge amounts of power. I'm convinced that the majority of thruster issues discussed here can be traced back to inadequate battery capacity and/or cabling. It sure sounds like that's the case for the OP.
Absolutely, I always go oversize on cables for something like a thruster. And clean connections. I use a copper conductive paste when I make the cables too.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:40 PM   #33
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Just wondering, anyone here use hydraulic thrusters. My neighbour installed them, bow and stern and loves them.

According to his experience the benefits are more power, less noise and a virtually continuous run time.

Obviously the down side is cost.

I am Interested to hear whether these claims stack up with other users.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 06:43 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Everything can fail, you just deal with it when it fails and find a work around.
Correction, Everything WILL fail!
Old 09-09-2021, 03:38 PM   #35

City: Kingston Ontario
Vessel Name: Cartouche
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Just wondering, anyone here use hydraulic thrusters. My neighbour installed them, bow and stern and loves them.

According to his experience the benefits are more power, less noise and a virtually continuous run time.

Obviously the down side is cost.

I am Interested to hear whether these claims stack up with other users.
You have to keep revs up on engine for them to work effectivley and if using forward and reverse this can cause issues
Cartouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 04:36 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartouche View Post
You have to keep revs up on engine for them to work effectivley and if using forward and reverse this can cause issues
Interesting point I hadn't thought of. Could make docking more complicated instead of easier.
Old 09-09-2021, 04:53 PM   #37
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartouche View Post
Some transmissions have options to control how much slip is involved with different modes. The Twin Disc in my EB47 have several modes, some are much more gradual at handling gear changes than others.
Old 09-09-2021, 05:00 PM   #38
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepidae View Post
In your mind, and you're entitled to your opinions. Others will disagree.

I prefer to use the ones in my EB47 sparingly, but having them has given me the option to move into a slip that would otherwise be exceedingly tedious to use without them. Saves me $2k/year in slip fees. Can I get in/out of the slip without them, yep, and have done it more than once just to be sure. But should I put on some hairshirt and beat myself up about it? Um, how about no?

Anything that aids safe use of a boat is fine by me. I'm not one to use excuses about modern accessories to basically hide being jealous or to pontificate about skills. Anything that makes the boating more effective for the captain is OK in my book.