Old 05-21-2021, 11:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Pocket Aces
Vessel Model: Mainship 34T '08
How are Flybridge Backrests fastened to fibreglass?

Hi, I am going to replace the flybridge cushions and backrests in my Mainship 34 T (08). It is not at all clear how the backrests are fastened to the flybridge sides. I can think of three possibilities
1. They were simply glued on
2. There are mounting bolds in the side fibreglass and the backrests have openings which drop onto the mountings. You would slide the backrest up and then pull back to remove.
3. They are through bolted with the fastenings nuts in very obscure and hard to reach places.

Can anyone verify? The folks who are going to replace the cushions think it would be #3 above saying backrests would be done right at the end of the construction and hence they would have to be reachable by a nimble human being.
Thanks.
Tony, Pocket Aces, Mainship '08T
PocketAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 02:34 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
I'm not familiar with the flybridge cushions but many brands simply screw them on through a pleat or joint between cushion sections. Oval head ate sometimes hard to find and rarely visible. Sometimes running a screwdriver bit along the pleat will find something hard metal vs the soft vinyl.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 01:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Tampa, FL
Vessel Name: Blooper
Vessel Model: 2004 Mainship 400T
On my 400, there is hardware on both the boat and cushions, both "L" shaped, facing up on the boat, down on the cushion. They hook into each other and the cushion hangs on the hardware. Nothing hidden, cushions are easily removeable.

Skip
Tampa
sailorskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 06:51 PM   #4
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketAces View Post
Hi, I am going to replace the flybridge cushions and backrests in my Mainship 34 T (08). It is not at all clear how the backrests are fastened to the flybridge sides. I can think of three possibilities

1. They were simply glued on

2. There are mounting bolds in the side fibreglass and the backrests have openings which drop onto the mountings. You would slide the backrest up and then pull back to remove.

3. They are through bolted with the fastenings nuts in very obscure and hard to reach places.

Can anyone verify? The folks who are going to replace the cushions think it would be #3 above saying backrests would be done right at the end of the construction and hence they would have to be reachable by a nimble human being.

Thanks.

Tony, Pocket Aces, Mainship '08T

On my 06 34T there were bolts from the cushions secured with wing nuts - I had to stick my head into the under-seat locker and peer up to see them. Then easy to unscrew the wing nuts and remove the cushions (if you have reasonably long arms).
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 02:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks for the very helpful replies. I just checked and lo and behold, I found the wing nuts without even having to be nimble! I often over-think these things! So my cushion and backrest project can continue...

Tony
Pocket Aces, Mainship '08 34T
Old 06-21-2021, 09:47 AM   #6

City: madisonville la
Vessel Name: Princess M
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34
Correct, the back rests are attached with bolts and wing nut. I removed/replaced mine. One of the bolts however did require me to 'climb in' the access hole to reach it. I am 6ft and 170 lbs and it was tight!
keith c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:39 PM   #7

City: Miami, FL
Vessel Name: Mermaid Life
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
I’m not sure there is an accurate answer. I’ve read the replies, and I only WISH mine (2005 Mainship 400 Trawler) had some sort of hardware holding them in place. They were put on with adhesive backed industrial Velcro. The adhesive gave up the first summer they spent in the Miami heat. I’m going to have to dive in and install some robust hardware. It is obvious to me that, at least mine, didn’t come from the factory with real hardware holding these in place. There is no evidence of any prior holes where hardware would have come through the fiberglass structure.
Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Keith: I am also over 6' with long arms like an orangutang, so I think I am good there
Like all things boating, suppliers etc are really busy in Vancouver this year, so I had to make an appointment next year for doing the flybridge upholstery work.