Hatch covers for 2000 390

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skipper724

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
schatzi
Vessel Make
mainship 390
I am seeing some spider cracks in my three hatch covers. The lids themselves are all plexiglass with no frame around them. They each have two locking handles, a telescoping arm to keep them open and of course, two hinges. I can not find them anywhere. Some folks told me that they are Bomar. I can find no name or numbers. Any I see on line have a trim ring round them. Has anyone replaced them?

I have never heard of commercially made hatches with no frame around the clear portion. Perhaps a photo would help.

I too have a 2000 390. Here's what I discovered as I had two damaged by Irma storm. That model is no longer in their offerings. So I disassembled the hatch, removing all hardware. Then took it to my local glass shop who also does Lexan. Using it as a template, the cut an exact fit replacement, with same holes drilled in new one. It took less than an hour to re-install. Finding the same tint was tricky, so had to visit several shops to come close. Remember no cleansers or abrasives on Lexan, just soft slightly moist cloth to clean.

I noticed recently that one of the big box home improvement stores was handling sheets of lexan. Up to about a half inch thick, sized about 2x2 or 2x4. Reasonably priced.

Couldn't you just make your own?

Mine are very heavy, wood and glass, lots of wood. I spent one winter refinishing them, they looked great for about a season then started to deteriorate. I had a vinyl shop make nice covers with elastic around the bottom. They fit nicely, look great and I thought I would take them off when I went cruising but they have been in place for three years. I wonder what the wood looks like under them? No I don't, they look great and don't leak, plus offer privacy.

pete

Back
Top Bottom