Cutless Bearing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Preston1

Does anyone know what sized cutless bearing is on a 2008 Mainship 400 trawler with a ZF transmission and two inch bore on the prop? I plan on pulling the boat next week to fix prop and shaft

Preston

I do understand the DUH but talking with the guys who sell these they need OD, ID as well as length of the bearing to send the appropriate bearing

Yes, I was being a little flippant. The odds of someone here remembering that data from their last cutlass bearing changeout are pretty slim.

I suspect you will have to pull it, measure it and order one that fits.

David

Yes, I was being a little flippant. The odds of someone here remembering that data from their last cutlass bearing changeout are pretty slim.

I suspect you will have to pull it, measure it and order one that fits.

David

That would be the only safe way.

Unfortunately that is the only really good way to do it.

Steve Cyrs Stelka Bluecwebsite is the best MS 400 resource I have seen but. Didn't see anything re cutlass big with a quick look.
http://scyr.org/stellablue/index.ph
Is a diver an option? Certainly could get length - ID of the strut might be possible or challenging?
The parts link in the sticky in Marlow - MS section has pics and source for some struts but confirming the exact one might be a challenge. I didn't search it but might be worth a look. If is one of two would the seller sell both and allow return of an unused one?

Cutless bearings are typically a stocked item. The yard should be able to source locally, or source within a day or two.

To give some idea, my cutless is 1-1/2 x 2-3/8 X 6" long. I have seen 1-1/2 x 2 (attached pic). I just happen to have a picture of a bearing on a friend's boat that is 2-1/4 x 3-3/8 x 9". I'd guess there are a few different ODs available for same shaft diameter. The same size was probably used on all similar MSs, but not necessarily. Yards have a nasty habit of just grabbing whatever is on thr shelf and just making it work.

About $335 each as I recall.

Peter Screenshot_20220822-162228_WhatsApp.jpg

Last edited:
Preston
I looked up mine for our 34 T / HT with a 2" shaft and the MS part / pic # is 1003161

If you go to the MS parts sticky I mentioned above you ca scan LG size thumbnails and look at the various struts MS used. If you open the pics they provide shaft size. If you can get a look at it in the water you could find it in the parts list and have a reasonable confidence.
there are several in the neighborhood of part pic # 1001108 but worth looking through the listings.
If you find a likely match the strut Mfg can provide bearing replacement info.
Hope it helps.

Attachments

• 1003161.JPG
    1003161.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 29
Preston1 welcome aboard.
I bet you and Mr. Weebles are the only ones in this group who know how to spell the name of the bearing correctly.
Sorry can’t help you with the OD you need.

Cutless is actually a brand name. Like Kleenex.

Then the company uses a cutlass image to advertise it.

Go figure.

It's a water lubricated (rubber or polymer) stave bearing.

From what I have seen it is used interchangeably. Some manufacturers use cutless and then use quotation marks and spell it (cutlass) and vice versa.

Cutless is a registered trademark of Duramax Marine LLC. Technically other brands can’t spell it that way. Most use cutlass.

John

Greetings,
Mr. mv. Nope. I'm spelling innocent, this time (your post #15). Perhaps you are confusing your reprobates?

Mr. P1. Welcome aboard.

iu

Last edited:
My point was that a Cutlass, as in a sword of swashbuckling fame, is spelled with an "a." I was responding to the post 14 that said it was so named because the company logo was a cutless (sic). I observed that it should therefore be a Cutlass Bearing, not a Cutless Bearing.

Am I misteakin?

Peter

My point was that a Cutlass, as in a sword of swashbuckling fame, is spelled with an "a." I was responding to the post 14 that said it was so named because the company logo was a cutless (sic). I observed that it should therefore be a Cutlass Bearing, not a Cutless Bearing.

Am I misteakin?

Peter

Now I’m confused. You spelled it correctly, Cutless, in your original post. It is called a Cutless Bearing because it would cut the shaft less than previous bearings. You’re just messing with me aren’t you!

Interesting story, but not even close to top-honors for poor grammar/English skills in company branding. I am told the correct spelling of Google is "Googol."

Peter

That works for me every time…

Does anyone know what sized cutless bearing is on a 2008 Mainship 400 trawler with a ZF transmission and two inch bore on the prop? I plan on pulling the boat next week to fix prop and shaft
Preston

Measure it. If you need them before pulling the boat out, jump in the water for the length(s) and the diameter can be measured in your engine room. Amazon is a good place to source them at a fair price.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom