Rum Point Basin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkmacleod

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Gracious
Vessel Make
Defever Downeast
Any one been into Rum Point Basin in Atlantic City recently? Thanks for any input!

Any one been into Rum Point Basin in Atlantic City recently? Thanks for any input!

Always a bit scary entering the Basin from Absecon Channel but once inside it’s typically well marked (day markers) and very ‘friendly’.

If you don't need dockside services , there's a great protected anchorage over on the Brigantine side. Easy dinghy ride over to AC.

I was in there 3 days ago. Went in and left near low tide, draw 3 ft 9 inches. Although fully loaded as I am add to make 4 feet. Read the active captain comments. When they say hug the salt marsh on the port side they mean it. Hug as is way close. Also the tip to look at the Google Earth image was helpful.

I went out too far from the saltmarsh, grounded, backed off, and got closer to the marsh edge. This was at the entrance. All alone inside.

Doh! That's the anchorage I was talking about, got confused with Gardner's Basin. Whoops. Glad to hear some up to the minute local knowledge. They used to have the channel marked with some makeshift PVC pipe and the like. Doing so, we never had issue with our 5' draft. We tended to anchor in the east side once in in there. We had a lot of fun launching the Whaler and exploring the surrounding marshes and channels. Go one way and you could be in the Low Country somewhere, on the other, a big decayed urban blight; weird juxtaposition.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom