X-Change-R impeller needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hammer

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
Has anyone ever changed the impeller on an X-Change-R oil system? Company that manufactured it appears to be out of business. Wondering what the replacement impeller is, and Looking for a little guidance on how to change it. TIA.

What is the part number for the impeller on an XChangeR Model 946D and where can if find it. TIA

Attachments

• xchanger-oil.JPG
    xchanger-oil.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 36
I doubt it is a rubber impeller. I don't think rubber would hold up as an oil pump. If it is rubber there are companies on the internet which offer every conceivable impeller. You will need to take it apart and see what exactly you need.

My bet is that there is something else wrong with the unit.

pete

Has anyone ever changed the impeller on an X-Change-R oil system? Company that manufactured it appears to be out of business. Wondering what the replacement impeller is, and Looking for a little guidance on how to change it. TIA.

What is the part number for the impeller on an XChangeR Model 946D and where can if find it. TIA

This fits:

Attachments

• XChanger Impeller.JPG
    XChanger Impeller.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 60
I doubt it is a rubber impeller. I don't think rubber would hold up as an oil pump. If it is rubber there are companies on the internet which offer every conceivable impeller. You will need to take it apart and see what exactly you need.

My bet is that there is something else wrong with the unit.

pete

My oil x changer pump had a rubber impeller. The original lasted about 18 seasons and was still working when I sold it with the boat.

I found a replacement impeller for the X-Change-R 946D oil system. I bought the Grainger 5UXN2 and it fits perfectly. The kit comes with two impellers and gaskets for $25.00 plus shipping.

The system works now for the port and starboard engine, but the pump won't drain or fill oil for the generator. The pump is primed and works for both engines. But nothing for the generator. Oil is hot, fill cap off and no kinks in the line. Previous owner said it worked. Anyone ever run into this and be able to solve it. I'm flustered and ready to go back to a hand pump through the oil stick hole.

I found a replacement impeller for the X-Change-R 946D oil system. I bought the Grainger 5UXN2 and it fits perfectly. The kit comes with two impellers and gaskets for $25.00 plus shipping.

The system works now for the port and starboard engine, but the pump won't drain or fill oil for the generator. The pump is primed and works for both engines. But nothing for the generator. Oil is hot, fill cap off and no kinks in the line. Previous owner said it worked. Anyone ever run into this and be able to solve it. I'm flustered and ready to go back to a hand pump through the oil stick hole.

On my Kohler on a Mainship 400 there is a shutoff valve in between the oil pan and the suction line. Hard to see, it’s inside the hush cover. That has to be open. Also note that on my X-changer the handle is the pointer, not the stubby end. I made this mistake the first time when I thought it was set for generator it was actually set to “off”.

On my Kohler on a Mainship 400 there is a shutoff valve in between the oil pan and the suction line. Hard to see, it’s inside the hush cover. That has to be open. Also note that on my X-changer the handle is the pointer, not the stubby end. I made this mistake the first time when I thought it was set for generator it was actually set to “off”.

Thank you.

I found the valve where the line attaches to generator pan. When I found it, it was all the way down. I swung it all the way up. Tried the pump. Still no flow. Tried it with the valve in the middle, still no flow. Frustrating.

Thank you.

I found the valve where the line attaches to generator pan. When I found it, it was all the way down. I swung it all the way up. Tried the pump. Still no flow. Tried it with the valve in the middle, still no flow. Frustrating.

Just to be absolutely clear, you found this valve on the oil pan and turned it so the handle lined up with the hose, and the handle of the X-Changer was set to "Generator"?

If you did both of those things I am at a loss. Does it still work if you pump the oil in or out of the engines? If that fails maybe the impeller failed just before you did the genny.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 20
If all of the above didn’t work, I would probably start by shutting off the valve at the oil pan and then disconnecting the hose at the shutoff valve, catch any drips of oil that may drip out. Then turn on the oil pump to remove the oil. See if you get suction on the hose. If not the hose is likely plugged up. If you do get suction then carefully open the oil pan valve and see if you get oil running out. If you do get suction on the hose and oil does run out then I am not sure what I would do next. Good luck!

If all of the above didn’t work, I would probably start by shutting off the valve at the oil pan and then disconnecting the hose at the shutoff valve, catch any drips of oil that may drip out. Then turn on the oil pump to remove the oil. See if you get suction on the hose. If not the hose is likely plugged up. If you do get suction then carefully open the oil pan valve and see if you get oil running out. If you do get suction on the hose and oil does run out then I am not sure what I would do next. Good luck!

Checking for clog is a good idea Dave but what do you think might cause such a clog?

Don’t know but if it will pump the main engines and won’t pump the genset then you have to start with the basics to troubleshoot it.

Impeller failure is a common although not frequent thing. I’ve changed mine about 3 times in 21 years. Reverso has the same impeller and are familiar with which fits the X Change R.

Last edited:
Hi - I just picked up a new impeller for my x-changer (looks like an earlier version of the 946D) to see if that fixes my issues since I hear the motor engage but I lost all suction. Few questions - to remove the cover, is there a trick to remove the selector handle so I can pull the cover off? I removed the screw in the center of the handle and assumed the handle would easily pull off to then remove the cover, but it's not easily pulling out and I don't want to apply to much force to pull it out if there's another way of doing it. I'd be surprised if the cover doesn't come off and you need to change the impeller by fiddling inside the small cutout in the bottom of the cover where the impeller housing appears to be. Also, does anyone know where to buy or what part(s) to buy to covert the 946D to 946DT so I can also hook up to my trannies? It looks like a simple add'l manifold with another selector handle/valve, but I'm not sure where to pick something like that up. Thanks!!

Hi - I just picked up a new impeller for my x-changer (looks like an earlier version of the 946D) to see if that fixes my issues since I hear the motor engage but I lost all suction. Few questions - to remove the cover, is there a trick to remove the selector handle so I can pull the cover off? I removed the screw in the center of the handle and assumed the handle would easily pull off to then remove the cover, but it's not easily pulling out and I don't want to apply to much force to pull it out if there's another way of doing it. I'd be surprised if the cover doesn't come off and you need to change the impeller by fiddling inside the small cutout in the bottom of the cover where the impeller housing appears to be. Also, does anyone know where to buy or what part(s) to buy to covert the 946D to 946DT so I can also hook up to my trannies? It looks like a simple add'l manifold with another selector handle/valve, but I'm not sure where to pick something like that up. Thanks!!

The supplier (manufacturer?) of the X-Changer is Sailors Exchange and the number on their website didn't work for me but after an email and a long wait I was sent another number shown here. I had already found an impeller so I never called the number but you can see if they carry the manifold you need. Also, the cover definitely comes off. I don't recall how difficult it was to remove the handle, but it comes off. You may need a little more persuasion.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 10
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 15

You access the impeller from the bottom of the unit. There is a plug on the case. I found it easier to just remove the hoses and take the entire unit off the bulkhead and work on it on the bench.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom