Wireless Cameras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swede Dreams

Vessel Name
Swede Dreams
Vessel Make
Mariner Seville
Hi All,

I think this has been discussed before but I haven’t found exactly what I'm looking for so here goes.

I’d like to have a few cameras on the boat that I can view on an Ipad while onboard and running. One would be an aft camera, one for the engine room and one for the salon. I’d like a wireless, battery operated camera that can connect to my Ipad without internet. I really do not want to wire the cameras and I find that cell phone connections are not reliable where we cruise.

Has anybody got a suggestion?

Thanks,

Magnus
swede Dreams

I'll be watching this one. Love to have an ER wireless camera that I can watch from the pilothouse.

I'll be watching this one. Love to have an ER wireless camera that I can watch from the pilothouse.
Me too as when I started the IP Camera installation I looked for wireless but to no avail! :blush:

There a lots of reviews and articles on wireless, battery powered cameras. They seem to rely on wifi, but don't need internet.

I’m also very interested in exactly the same set up. I think setting up a boat LAN should be all that’s needed, but I haven’t yet pulled the trigger. I also had the hope our Raymarine Axiom could provide that function but apparently it supports only Raymarine wireless cameras. Again, would welcome input from anyone who has already done this.

YI Dome Camera. Got one of these last year from Amazon.
https://www2.yitechnology.com/yi-dome-camera

When we're inport it sits on the dinette table in the salon. I like the 'bookmark' feature that allows me to quickly (single touch, don't have to manually slew the camera) look at the main hatch (normal position), my dehumidifier (mirror sitting above controls so I can see humidity and if it's running), and multi-display thermometer to show external, internal and 'in the refrigerator' temperatures.

When we're underway, I remove the AC power source, power it with a 'brick' (extra DC power source for phone/tablet) and attach it to a post on the enclosed sun deck. One bookmarked position for looking astern (normal running, feeds phone/tablet at the helm to keep an eye on folks flying up behind us, and check wake after passing someone) and one that gives me a view of my 'blind spot' - aft on the starboard side - that I use when backing into the slip (I set my phone/tablet on a mount hanging from a bimini crossbar that I can easily glance at while handling the transmission handles).

There a lots of reviews and articles on wireless, battery powered cameras. They seem to rely on wifi, but don't need internet.
Will you post some of the reviews?

I’m also very interested in exactly the same set up. I also had the hope our Raymarine Axiom could provide that function but apparently it supports only Raymarine wireless cameras.

I have not done this and have only Luddite-level skills in this area. However I do have an Axiom so I took note of the linked article Ben Stein wrote in Panbo last October (non-Raymarine camera used with Raymarine gear). Maybe it would be helpful? (Usually good info in comments section too.)

https://www.panbo.com/broad-ip-camera-support-a-raymarine-advantage/

After many calls to the maker of my MFD, I figured out that any 720p camera for 25.00 from Amazon. Mounted it on my bow but had to run a wire. What a pain. SiOnyx camera, no endorsement other than I have one, it mounted on the radar arch and works pretty well at night to a Bluetooth phone

Here are photos from my wireless cameras. I am 120 miles from my boat this evening. These are live shots.

www.dlink.com

Attachments

• E5048AC2-1833-4040-912C-7830DD90E37D.jpeg
    E5048AC2-1833-4040-912C-7830DD90E37D.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 04A66ED8-CFAF-4AB9-AE9B-74F4197168AD.jpg
    04A66ED8-CFAF-4AB9-AE9B-74F4197168AD.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 4A3FC92B-570A-4785-A26B-4CFD5D00B910.jpg
    4A3FC92B-570A-4785-A26B-4CFD5D00B910.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 31
  • F884B49F-F78C-4297-85DE-2E1710B79DC5.png
    F884B49F-F78C-4297-85DE-2E1710B79DC5.png
    99.4 KB · Views: 243
After many calls to the maker of my MFD, I figured out that any 720p camera for 25.00 from Amazon. Mounted it on my bow but had to run a wire. What a pain. SiOnyx camera, no endorsement other than I have one, it mounted on the radar arch and works pretty well at night to a Bluetooth phone

I just bought a SiOnyx camera. Have not tried it yet on the boat but outside at night it seems great. No affiliation.

outdoor wifi browser-accessible camera

The issue with all the cameras mentioned above is that they require an IOS or Android OS available on phones or tablets. That is fine, I use 2 of them to monitor my boat when away from the boat. What I want is outdoor cameras that I can access from any simple web browser, so I can view it from the helm over the computer monitors I have there. This, too, would be accessible from remote access. Anyone know of such a wireless, battery-operated camera? Thanks.

I looked at the wireless cameras and decided against them mainly because of where I wanted to use them from and what they were compatible with. For my use case, having them viewable via my MFDs and TimeZero were the perfect solution, and I can also use them from an iPad and any other device if I want. I was lucky enough to have OK access to run the wiring. I understand that's not possible for everyone.

Flybridge-docking-setup.jpeg

I chose wired ones, albeit analog cameras, and paired them with a camera "server" that the various devices can consume. Full write up at https://seabits.com/docking-and-engine-room-cameras/

Has anyone found a wireless camera that doesn't require an internet interface? It seems that all the ones I have looked at need to connect through the internet in order to connect to the App.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom