When it is time to cut the anchor chain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Microsoft Office Translator ;

We have 3 anchors on board, the main anchor is with chain, the other two with rope.An angle grinder with 1mm cutting discs, they give the least mess and work the fastest.Also always a welding machine on board!Once stuck with the anchor in Sweden, fortunately the anchor with rope carried out.After a long time of trying, I finally secured the anchor rope on the aft bollard and put all the rope overboard.Sailing away at full throttle and throwing the 14 tons into the battle, and yes the anchor came loose!The boat was quite crooked and the captain gave a scream, and you have to be able to rely 100% on the bollards.

Greeting;

Pascal.

I've added a short section of Amsteel line at the bitter end of the anchor chain. Should I have to abandon the anchor it is a "simple" cut from the deck.

My question is what tool would you keep on board for cutting the chain? 24" bolt cutters should do the trick, but was wondering if any of you have a battery operated tool--like a Dremel with a metal cutting blade or angle grinder--on board that can do the trick, but also meet other needs as well.

We all start with the assumption that we will eventual free up the anchor (lots of tricks discussed on this site I imagine), but we all know of folks who had to give it up for safety reasons. So what tool(s)?
I keep a battery powered grinder in a tool tote with my other battery tools in the storage hatch under the salon bench. I am fortunate that I have enough space to be able to store such tools. In your case a single angle grinder won't take up much room.

As mentioned previously do make sure your float is buoyant enough to float the chain. Mine was, BUT the current was so strong both fender and chain were only visible at slack tide.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom