What size chartplotter display

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adornato

Vessel Name
Sarah McLean
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot
I am buying a new chartplotter for my Eastern 24 mini trawler

A garmin 9 inch diagonal display is 1500. a 12 inch display is 3000 dollars.
I am old with old eyeballs. I cant decide if it is worth it to pay the extra money for the bigger display.
thoughts?

iPad with Navionics or TimeZero. Well under $1500 with a large display. Down side is that it can be hard to read in full sun. Under cover / bimini is no problem to see.

The extra space on the 12 inch enables split screen to be actually usable. I have zero regrets. I'd like a second 9" for monitors and such,but that's a separate issue.

A 12" Samsung tablet with with lifetime software updates for Aquamaps was under $1K.

A 24" HP flat screen, NUC, wireless keyboard, and Coastal Explorer was under $1,200. Adding their Nemo gateway to pick up everything on your NEMA 2000 & 0183 networks was about $700.

Lots of options for a lot less.

Ted

Whatever you go with, go with the largest screen that fits in the boat and your budget.

What do you want it to do? Just display charts? Or also display radar, sonar, etc?

If just charts, I'll throw out I was on two boats recently using Navionics on iPads and it worked better than I thought likely. Just be sure to have an electric outlet nearby to plug it in.

If that's all you need, then a true chart plotter may be a waste because you are buying capabilities you don't need (radar display, etc). But if you need that other stuff, then its back to chart plotter size and brand.

Whatever you go with, go with the largest screen that fits in the boat and your budget.

Whatever you do, be sure to pay attention to the brightness. After much disappointment, I wound up acquiring a 12" BigBay display with 1000 nits for my pc-based Coastal Explorer.

I found the problem with computer displays was not glare on the screen, but being unable to see fine details on the display with my constricted pupils after looking out the windshield in bright sunlight. Being old does not make this better.:lol:

Last edited:
I am buying a new chartplotter for my Eastern 24 mini trawler

A garmin 9 inch diagonal display is 1500. a 12 inch display is 3000 dollars.
I am old with old eyeballs. I cant decide if it is worth it to pay the extra money for the bigger display.
thoughts?

Largest that will fit.

Especially if you need to display radar, fish or bottom type... and/or if you need multiple charts (different ranges) at once.

Anything smaller than about 12" probably won't be as useful for split screens.

Amortized cost over time often isn't too bad...

-Chris

What do you want it to do? Just display charts? Or also display radar, sonar, etc?

If just charts, I'll throw out I was on two boats recently using Navionics on iPads and it worked better than I thought likely. Just be sure to have an electric outlet nearby to plug it in.

If that's all you need, then a true chart plotter may be a waste because you are buying capabilities you don't need (radar display, etc). But if you need that other stuff, then its back to chart plotter size and brand.

Yup. I have a stand alone radar so my 10" tablet works fine for me. If you want to cram other stuff on the display like radar, fish finder, engine room cameras, etc then you need the biggest display you can fit and afford. The smaller ones can do that but the individual windows will be too small to see well.

I have a 9" Garmin. Bigger hasn't been in my budget, but supplemented with a 10" tablet running Navionics works out pretty well for me.

I think for single screen views the 9" is fine. But the combos are a bit small for me.

Lots of choice, as has been pointed out.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Trawler Forum mobile app

I don’t find split screens on a 9” very useful. I would probably prefer two 9” screens to one 12” split screen.

I can certainly make do with just one 9” screen. Only when I am navigating tight quarters in fog do I wish for anything more than one 9” screen.

This said, I run one 9” and one 14” screen. On no fog days I let the wife play with the 14” while I use the 9”. On fog days the 9”is on radar and the 14” is on charts.

I have a 9" Garmin. Bigger hasn't been in my budget, but supplemented with a 10" tablet running Navionics works out pretty well for me.

Mine is one of those boats running Navionics on an iPad, but Navionics on the iPad won't talk with my autopilot to follow a series of waypoints. I could switch to iNavx on the iPad and that works with the right gateway, but I am considering a small chartplotter like the 9" Garmin mostly to streamline the connections between the software and the autopilot. I will still use Navionics or Aquamaps for their excellent chart data.

Do you have a laptop?
If so you can get a USB/GPS module for $30-40 and free OPNCaptain software charting. That way you can see it on your PC or laptop screen.

Whatever you do, be sure to pay attention to the brightness. After much disappointment, I wound up acquiring a 12" BigBay display with 1000 nits for my pc-based Coastal Explorer.

I was using a display with 400 nit brightness. It was fine during dusk or evening, but absolutely horrible during the day. This was a flybridge but with a full hardtop so no direct sun hitting it. However, it might be okay in a dark pilothouse.

Still, brighter and bigger are better!

I was using a display with 400 nit brightness. It was fine during dusk or evening, but absolutely horrible during the day. This was a flybridge but with a full hardtop so no direct sun hitting it. However, it might be okay in a dark pilothouse.

Still, brighter and bigger are better!

That is the problem with tablets, some of them are not bright enough. Also power consumption, with the brightness turned all the way up and screen timeout set to never, the stock charger couldn't keep up. I bought a bigger one and it does fine. Mine is bright enough under my Bimini.

We run Lenovo tiny i5 and i7 PC's connected to 23 inch monitors and OpenCPN

This setup is far better than any dedicated marine plotter I have ever used and costs under $250.
Being actual computers they are connected to the internet and do all our movies, music, emails, office stuff etc etc

As an example here's a Lenovo i5 for $85 usd
Plenty of them available on various sites.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2841528...TaQkybCvl_mCB3jeCPn2RI1R9_QA62h8aAkmUEALw_wcB

We have no problem with brightness inside our pilothouse using 23 inch / 300nit screens
At night we have to dramatically wind the brightness down using f.lux and night settings on OpenCPN.

We have a commercial grade SEIWA marine plotter onboard, very rarely gets turned on anymore.

Last edited:
That is the problem with tablets, some of them are not bright enough.
Most of them are not bright enough in sunlight. If you get a display for a cheap computer that is 1200 nits, you've spent nearly as much as a chartplotter that already has that. On the bill of materials for a chartplotter, the LCD panel is by far the most expensive part.

Reasons for an MFD

1. System of record. If you're cruising longer distances with change of watches, having a central MFD makes sense. Everyone learns one system.

2. Want to interface other instruments such as an autopilot, routes, etc.. Especially useful if you're cruising in unfamiliar waters.

3. Learning curve. There are non-MFD options such as running PCs, tablets, etc. running some sort of third party software such as OpenCPN. These are viable but require investment of time to understand them and setup properly. Similar to #1 above, if you have a spouse or people you cruise with, you may be the only person who knows what's going on. Not very inclusive.

If you go MFD, and only have room for one, 12" is a minimum to display both chart plotter and depth sounder. Requires some screen real estate. 9" is cramped.

Otherwise, Navionics on a cell phone works fine.

Peter

I have two 9" garmin MFDs at our flybridge helm running chartplotter, radar and fishfinders. I love them.

Also have navioics on an I=pad and my phone, don't use them much, sometimes for route planning.

I have used Costal Explorer on a PC. I had GPS, AIS and autopilot interactive with CE. Ever since Windows 7 I believe that the PC is stable enough to be a primary navigation system. I would still want a back up for safety. Doesn’t matter if it is Navionics on an iPad or a MFD.

I really think having a large screen is awesome. The only short coming I see with the PC is bright sun light and outdoor use.

I think the PC should be dedicated to navigation and not loaded up with a bunch of backround applications.

The OP has a 24 foot mini trawler and I am not sure I saw anything about cruising ambitions.

If I had a 24 footer in San Fran and got caught in fog enough.... I would have a 7 inch screen for radar and sounder and any old tablet/laptop (pilothouse) for nav.

When clear, holy mackerel, if he never leaves the bay.... the bare minimum is necessary as is cruising the delta if it's anything like the fingers of shallows along the ACIW or GICW.

Not everyone here wants electronics worth more than their boat or needs a "suite" to get around here and there.

Have two 16” MFDs (fly and pilot house). Also run two IPads to get multiple chart sources simultaneously. One thing I’ve experienced is pads of any sort can get hot enough they shut down. So beyond glare, keeping them plugged in and limited interconnect ability they may not be reliable outside an air conditioned or cool shaded bridge. Even with our Bimini over the flybridge they may get too hot up there. Love the IPad with navionics or Aquamaps running as a supplement. Also find reading pads at night can be problematic. Either have trouble seeing or ruin your night vision. So just glance at it then and depend on the simrad.

Do like split screen running radar/AIS on one side and chart on the other. Think 12” is as small as you can go for that.

As stated what electronics you put on a boat depends upon use pattern.

Last edited:
The OP has a 24 foot mini trawler and I am not sure I saw anything about cruising ambitions.

If I had a 24 footer in San Fran and got caught in fog enough.... I would have a 7 inch screen for radar and sounder and any old tablet/laptop (pilothouse) for nav.

When clear, holy mackerel, if he never leaves the bay.... the bare minimum is necessary as is cruising the delta if it's anything like the fingers of shallows along the ACIW or GICW.

Not everyone here wants electronics worth more than their boat or needs a "suite" to get around here and there.

Sure, fair enough, good points.

But I also know about "requirements creep" and usually find it cheaper in the long run to install the largest display that will fit... to address the "wish I had thought about..." stuff that seems to inevitably/eventually pop up in our boating.

:)

-Chris

OP has an "Eastern" 24-footer. I had never heard of Eastern so I googled them. Assuming I found the right link (there is no 'mini-trawler'), they are same builder as Rosborough.

Helm has plenty of room for at least a 12-inch display, perhaps 16-inch.

This boat will go relatively fast, certainly planing speeds. Bigger is certainly better if you want a usable display when running at any speed. 7-inch might as well be a wrist-watch display. Can I justify the enormous leap in cost between small and large? Nope - it's a stupid leap. But I just don't think anything under 12-inches will be usable at speed. Question should be is 16-inch worth the extra money.

Here's the likely candidate for Eastern Boats

https://easternboats.com/boats/eastern-248-explorer/

Peter

Easter 24 .jpg

Eastern 24 Helm.jpg

I don't disagree with you about bare minimums are workable. But I'd point out that, given your experience and longevity, you probably use electronic charts as, well, digitial versions of old paper charts. You still look for ATONs and navigate channels visually. A small display would be okay. Heck, it's at least dynamic compared to a ChartPak.

But alas, the world has moved past ATONs. Many boaters, perhaps most, perhaps vast majority, use digital display as primary reference for channel - just as they do Google Maps in their car. I suspect they spend a LOT of time looking at an over-zoomed screen to assure they are in the channel. Used like that, a small screen simply won't cut it.

Best I can tell, you are a dying breed. I'm in the gurney next to you.....

Peter

Last edited:
Do like split screen running radar/AIS on one side and chart on the other. Think 12” is as small as you can go for that.

On a modern chartplotter, you can overlay chart, radar, and AIS and it works pretty well - even at 9". I'd rather do that on a 1200 nit screen than squint at a large 400 nit screen.

All my experience tells me that many boaters that arent distance cruisers either hardly use electronics or they spend so much time fiddling with then, accidents occur.

7 inch for a 34 footer for Radar/sounder is PLENTY. Worked for ne for 20,000 last miles. Hardly ever needed either, well sounder but again plenty.

Thats why I said just use an old pad/laptop for chartplotter with pad/phone backup. Plenty of screen and OK on a pilothouse boat.

Back
Top Bottom