What is this thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NWboater2

Vessel Name
Ripple
Vessel Make
2005 Grand Banks 42 EU
F5D87EFA-9F3E-40BD-A1C3-EAA1750D2CE5.jpg

05 GB42EU. This is in the locker aft of the settee, down low. Locker also has a cd changer that will get pulled. That’s the patch cords. What is this stainless thing, though??

Last edited:
Oops pls move to correct forum. I was in this one reading the directions for photos

Need a better picture, maybe from a different angle.

Here’s a better pic. I think it is the mechanism for locking the lazarette access! Thanks! Stay warm

Attachments

• A10CD945-4FAF-4063-B380-8D6B43D72852.jpg
    A10CD945-4FAF-4063-B380-8D6B43D72852.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 122
Uh. Upside down. Sorry

There is a black cable coming out the back - like a shift cable (inside moves). hard to see in pic. so you pull the brass knob against a spring to latch the laz hatch, then the SS "arm" swings down behind the knob to hold it in the locked position... lift the arm and the spring pulls the knob back then you can lift the hatch. pretty slick actually.

A mechanical push-pull Teleflex cable like an emergency shutdown, fire bottle pull, or latch release of some kind. Emergency stuff is usually labeled though. Best to trace it.
“The whole point of a doomsday device is lost if you keep it a secret!!” - Dr Strangelove. :D

A mechanical push-pull Teleflex cable like an emergency shutdown, fire bottle pull, or latch release of some kind. Emergency stuff is usually labeled though. Best to trace it.
“The whole point of a doomsday device is lost if you keep it a secret!!” - Dr Strangelove. :D

I like a day that ends in a quote from Dr Strangelove!

"Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!"

~A

"Mister President, we must not allow a mine shaft gap!”
GEORGE C. SCOTT - Gen. 'Buck' Turgidson

The lever looks to fold down and lock the knob which would allow the cable to be pulled or pushed? Two thoughts, one to an ER fire extinguisher, the other to unlock a deck hatch aft. Looks homemade.

I made something like that for a friend with a 19 foot bowrider. It was hidden under the coaming pad and when you pulled it, it released a latch that held the sun pad/engine cover down. I added gas struts to the sun pad so that as soon as the latch was released, the struts would push the sun pad up automatically and at a controlled pace. I made the front of the sun pad/back of the bench seat removable with the same kind of clips used in car interiors so that if the cable or other parts failed, he had the option to pull the seat back off (which required substantial but not damaging force) and release the latch directly.

Greetings,
Mr. SK. Your post #12. "Looks homemade." If that's home made I'd like to talk to the fabricator. NICE work, whatever it does.

Probably an emergency diesel shut down. You can shut the engine down in the event of electrical failure to the "kill" button. It would not work on a turbo charged engine that is "running on".

pete

I believe that is for the exterior deck hatch locks. It's so that you can lock/unlock both the aft lazzarette deck hatches from inside the boat. This prevents the sneaky thief from opening the lazzarette and crawling into your engine room through the aft door and entering your locked boat through the engine room.

"Mister President, we must not allow a mine shaft gap!”
GEORGE C. SCOTT - Gen. 'Buck' Turgidson
"Ice cream, Mandrake. Childrens' ice cream." - Brig. Gen. Jack D. Ripper (Sterling Hayden)

Last edited:
Yes it looks exactly like the lock for the forward lazarette on my 42 GBE ‘s cockpit. Same location too.

Pretty sure that’s your locking release for the lazzerette hatch. I believe 2005 was the last year for the 42. We sold the last one built at our GB dealership in CT. I vaguely recall wondering what that gizmo was for and then figuring it out. I know I have some info on your boat (if it’s the same one), I’ll try to dig it up.

Probably an emergency diesel shut down. You can shut the engine down in the event of electrical failure to the "kill" button. It would not work on a turbo charged engine that is "running on".

pete

That's what my guess was... Many diesels have a lever to mechanically stop the injector pump in the event of a runaway diesel engine. So, a cable like this would be a good idea to run to that lever.

Obviously, following the cable will give the answer we are all wondering about.

If it goes to a large spring under the captain's chair, it is clearly the ejection seat control knob.

Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

looks like a divariable veebledeezer used to calibrate a framuss. nicely made!

Last edited:
Thanks all. It is for the lazarette, seems to work as intended.
Snug- it is hull 1556 and has been here (puget sound) since new.

Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

Thanks Slim Pickens...

Diesel owners need to remember that There is exactly ONE way to shut down a runaway turbo diesel. Starve it for air! It does not need the fuel injector pump to runaway. It is getting the fuel in the form of engine oil via the turbo.

pete

Back
Top Bottom