What chain for a 36 Grand Banks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob and Linda

Need to buy windlass for our new to be GB36. Not sure what chain or windlass to use. Can anyone help?

5/16 G4 chain. How much depends on depths where you anchor. 250-300 feet works for me on the Inside Passage. Lofrans Tigres works great on my Nordic Tug 37.

same

Same for me, 280' G4 chain and Lofrans Tigress with helm switches and
wireless remote, 55 pound spade anchor. 36' Willard 28.000 pounds.
Sets, holds, easy to retrieve.

Need to buy windlass for our new to be GB36. Not sure what chain or windlass to use. Can anyone help?

I inherited 5/16 G3, also known as Proof coil or PC. It's the old standard for tackle chain, but I recognize most have come up to G4 which has nearly twice the static load strength. But I think I'm already overbuilt, so I'm not motivated to upgrade. I've been with it ever since, knowing it's the weakest chain but it fits my windlass. Because I had previously built a Sampson post behind the windlass, I had to go with a down-facing motor to fit in the space. That left me with a Lofrans Kobra. The point being, how much space do you have, and what motor/windlass will fit that space. Lofrans has a good reputation, and builds a number of windlasses which might be appropriate.

5/16 G40.

Horizontal or Vertical windlass will depend on how much room you have in the anchor locker. What is the year and model GB?

Back
Top Bottom