Well crap! Stupid AC.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Star0210

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Star
Vessel Make
2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
A few months ago we decided to completely replace the two AC's on our boat after one of the blowers went out. The systems were very old and inefficient and we knew one had a freon leak.
The only thing we didn't replace was the front compressor because the PO had just replaced it a year before we bought the boat so it's two yrs old now.
We had the yard do the install of all the new equipment while it was on the hard.
They said it worked fine over there. David had been there a few times and knew it was running. I had as well and noted how much more quiet these new units are.
Well, David picked up the boat and brought it home Friday. He noticed the breaker was off to the front unit but figured they had turned it off purposely.
He gets the boat back to the marina and turns it on, and off goes the breaker. Tried it again, and as soon as compressor goes to kick on, it trips the breaker.
Called the yard, they said maybe a bad breaker. David replaced it on Saturday with a 25 amp breaker and nope, not it. Still trips.
The yard is supposed to go and take a look at it today.

Really hoping it's something small, easy, and cheap.

What's the chance? :banghead:

Sounds like a start capacitor. Odd though that it went out when they were working on it.

If the boat was on the hard, how did they test the A/Cs unless they hooked up a hose to them?

If the boat was on the hard, how did they test the A/Cs unless they hooked up a hose to them?

It was back in the water there when they finished it up.

Check ALL the electrical connections. A loose one will blow your breaker!!!

So what they are telling us is that it appears to have shorted internally.

Does that make sense? How would one determine that?

And of course, it's just out of warranty. Go figure.

At any rate looks like we have to buy a new condenser unit.

Frustrating!

Star, it has been my experience in the N.O. area that the marine AC people would much rather replace than repair. I had to replace both of my 16,000btu over a year apart because of irreparable condensers......

They said it was possible or to repair...but we weighed the costs of doing that vs replacing it with new and just decided to go new. At least now every component of our systems will be the same and the same age.

I think you did right. It is no fun to be out on the water for a weekend in South Louisiana summer and have the A/C go out!

The last three a/c units I've had that tripped breakers was a start capacitor. They go bad an order of magnitude more frequently than compressors. A leaky condenser or plugged evaporator would almost never cause this.

They said it was possible or to repair...but we weighed the costs of doing that vs replacing it with new and just decided to go new. At least now every component of our systems will be the same and the same age.

Sorry about the frustration. Having stuff break (expensive stuff) is a normal part of boat ownership. This too shall pass and you are going to have a GREAT time this season!

Sorry about the frustration. Having stuff break (expensive stuff) is a normal part of boat ownership. This too shall pass and you are going to have a GREAT time this season!

Thanks...I just wish it would have gone ahead and broke a few months ago when the blower thingy went out and we bought all of the other components.
David just installed the new water heater last weekend and now he has to take it back out so that they can get the condenser out.
I'm mostly frustrated with the timing of it....we still have so much to do before we can enjoy the boat again.
But we will get there...I'm anxious to GO somewhere this year...I'm impatient. Lol

we got a quote from the company we purchased the rest from and we had the guy at the yard get a quote from his dealer as well...his quote came in a few hundred cheaper so we told him to go ahead and order it. Hopefully it will be in by Monday and they can get it installed next week.

David has been researching it and has some concerns about the possibility of acid in the freon. I think he plans to talk to the guys at the yard about that.

Acid in the refrigerant indicates a compressor motor burn out. Have the oil tested. That will give a lot more information.

+1 on the capicator.

Rob

Thanks...I just wish it would have gone ahead and broke a few months ago when the blower thingy went out and we bought all of the other components.
David just installed the new water heater last weekend and now he has to take it back out so that they can get the condenser out.
I'm mostly frustrated with the timing of it....we still have so much to do before we can enjoy the boat again.
But we will get there...I'm anxious to GO somewhere this year...I'm impatient. Lol

Take heart Sha Baba...better days are ahead!?
It's like we say..."Everything on your boat is broken, you just don't know it yet"! Just got to fight these present battles so you can work off the lower priority items while using/enjoying your boat.

I spent the last couple days designing/welding up a hoist trolly system to remove the 8D house batteries from outboard of my engines. Would have rather been anchored out at the barrier island fishing and consuming a cold Shiner Bock! ?

All part of owning a boat, always takes some time and $$$ to get a new to you boat all sorted out, just the way it is... But on those magically evenings with the sun setting and a nice breeze coming across the deck you will know without hesitation it was worth it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom