Waxed non skid with starbrite non skid wax and still slippery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

huruta

Vessel Make
2006 Nordic Tug 32
Applied this to a dry deck, spread it around with wet microfiber cloth, let it dry, buffed with clean microfiber and still very slippery. Use hard bristle brush to agitate? Other ideas? Would rather not slip and fall at the beginning of summer!

I have used Woody Wax in the past and the recommendations for it are to rinse it down afterwards really well after it dries. I would try that and then using a soft boat brush on it with a rinse and letting it dry.

+1 on Woody Wax. I have been using it for about 5 years with good results. It doesn’t last as long as regular wax but it is so quick and easy to apply that it doesn’t matter. Just wash the area and while it is still wet brush on the WW. Let it sit for about 30 minutes and rinse off the excess. Simple.

I use Starbrite and find it a great product. Not to insult, did you follow the application instructions on the bottle?

Will consider woody wax. Many really like the star bite nonskid and noted it wasn’t slick so I was surprised. Sea-duction, no offense taken. It did say it could be applied to clean dried floors but most instruction was for when it was wet. I’m guessing I put too much on. I did scrub it a bit, which helped.

Why wax non skid? It seems it would defeat the purpose. I speak from many different FRP decks over a 60 year period.

I waxed a non skid deck once. Then I learned to NOT wax a non skid deck.

Woody Wax for us. I apply sparingly, especially on areas I walk on regularly. Other non- skid areas that I seldom walk on I apply sparingly but just let dry w/o rinsing. Does a good job of releasing dirt & stains to keep non-skid cleaner w less scrubbing.

Why wax non skid? It seems it would defeat the purpose. I speak from many different FRP decks over a 60 year period.
Because it helps protect the gel coat and makes it much easier to clean off bird poop, etc.

I used to use Ww but I find Starbrite lasts longer. Following the instructions I have never found it to be slippery. You may have too much wax applied. I use a hose and a brush

Isopropyl alcohol should remove the wax ("should" because I don't know the formulation of the Starbrite product, but waxes are basically long-chain fatty alcohols). Then apply Woody Wax sparingly.

Starbrite Non Skid Deck CLEANER, which has PTFE, is fantastic! Used it for many years, amazed at how long it lasts, how effectively improves the non-skid properties of the deck. I would never try a WAX of any sort on a walking surface area on thea boat. I suspect some folks are confused by the Starbrite Non-Skid Deck WAX vs. Startbrite Non-Skid Deck CLEANER. I choose only the CLEANER.

I have both. Cleaned with simple boat soap then skipped the starbrite non skid cleaner bc boat was clean and just applied the starbrite nonskid wax. I ended up using a plastic brush to disrupt the slippery ness. It worked. Probably applied too much. Will try the cleaner alone next time.

Starbrite Non Skid Deck CLEANER, which has PTFE, is fantastic! Used it for many years, amazed at how long it lasts, how effectively improves the non-skid properties of the deck. I would never try a WAX of any sort on a walking surface area on thea boat. I suspect some folks are confused by the Starbrite Non-Skid Deck WAX vs. Startbrite Non-Skid Deck CLEANER. I choose only the CLEANER.
I use both with excellent results.

I also use the Starbrite non-skid wax. It is not slippery, and helps keep the floor clean. I don't know how old your boat is, but your gelcote on the non-skid could be heavily oxidized. You can't see it because its white, and I dont know what impact that has on making it slippery. A year ago, I used heavy cut compund on a stiff brush on a drill to give the non-skid a deep clean, then follow with the Starbright.

Back
Top Bottom