Volvo d6 370 hp reliability ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJFPAF

Vessel Name
Sight Sea'R
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot II
Does anyone have experience with the D6 370? Model year is 2007 or 2008 installed into 2008 Pearson True North. I know the 38 model had a Yanmar.

Volvo diesels are uncommon where I boat in the northeast, so wanted to ask for input relating to their reliability. Also any advice on what I should look for during the survey and sea trial. The motor has 600 hours, after 15 seasons.

I will hire a Volvo mechanic to accompany me on sea trial - but wanted to ask this broader group.

Thanks

Before you even make an offer do some research with a Volvo dealership as to parts availability. Volvo has a really bad reputation about getting repair parts. If you boat in the north with the short season having to wait multiple months for a critical part can wipe out that season. We had Volvos in one of our boats and getting parts was like pulling teeth. The only saving grace was that I sold boats part time for the dealer so they would pull a part off a new boat for me and then wait on the part for the new boat. One time they had to take the part off several boats because the parts took forever and they would sell the boat that was canabalized so the part would get removed from another new boat. Now whenever I am looking for a boat the first thing I look at on a listing is what engines the boat has. If it has Volvos in it I move on immediately. I don’t want to be tempted by a boat with them in it. Others experience may be different but I will not own another boat with them in it.

Before you even make an offer do some research with a Volvo dealership as to parts availability. Volvo has a really bad reputation about getting repair parts. If you boat in the north with the short season having to wait multiple months for a critical part can wipe out that season. We had Volvos in one of our boats and getting parts was like pulling teeth. The only saving grace was that I sold boats part time for the dealer so they would pull a part off a new boat for me and then wait on the part for the new boat. One time they had to take the part off several boats because the parts took forever and they would sell the boat that was canabalized so the part would get removed from another new boat. Now whenever I am looking for a boat the first thing I look at on a listing is what engines the boat has. If it has Volvos in it I move on immediately. I don’t want to be tempted by a boat with them in it. Others experience may be different but I will not own another boat with them in it.

I had a similar vintage D6 rated at 330 HP. Operationally is was a good engine, but the few parts I bought were eye wateringly expensive. And New England servicing dealers were sparse.

Ours were on a new boat and they were DuoProps. The drives were designed very well and the boat performed extremely well. But the parts were very difficult to get. Mine were on factory warranty so I didn’t have to pay for them but the dealer told me they were worth their weight in gold…. Not quite but you get the idea. If there are not any, or many, dealers in your area that can be a real problem.

Ours were on a new boat and they were DuoProps. The drives were designed very well and the boat performed extremely well. But the parts were very difficult to get. Mine were on factory warranty so I didn’t have to pay for them but the dealer told me they were worth their weight in gold…. Not quite but you get the idea. If there are not any, or many, dealers in your area that can be a real problem.

This brings up a really going point. Are we talking about IPS pod drives too? If so, I'd be much more concerned about those than the engine.

Hadn’t thought about them. A good friend was hired as crew to deliver a fast trawler from Maine to Florida. He and the captain went to Maine started the boat and had a fault. Called a Volvo technician, took 3 weeks to show up since he wasn’t in Maine. Had to order a part. Fixed fault so they went back to Maine from Michigan. Then they made it to NY area and another fault. This time it took 4 weeks to get part and fix it. Then they made it to Annapolis and another fault. Another 3 weeks. Then they made it to NC and another fault. Then Jacksonville and another fault. At this point the owner said forget it and told the dealer to get the boat to Tampa since it was a new boat and still under warranty. One of the big issues was that they had a hard time finding a Volvo technician along with finding parts once the technician diagnosed the problem. And this was on a current year boat. Now go out 10 years or so and guess how the support will be…

Interesting comments. My last two boats had D6s and none were old enough to require spare parts. I live in Charleston, SC. The firm I bought my last two boats from have two very experienced Volvo mechanics so maybe I am spoiled.

A great many new builds use Volvos. The two I am most familiar with are Sabre and Tiara which both use IPS pods.

My boat is a Sabre and the Volvo/Garmin system is a game changer. All data displayed on the Garmin MFDs. Interceptors are part of the Volvo system and they are automatic to extend to keep the boat flat when coming up on a plane or going into a turn. The Garmin autopilot is interfaced with the pods and can be controlled by the joystick. Joystick docking makes maneuvering very easy. Assisted Docking and the Dynamic Positioning System take wind and current out of the equation.

I know all this sounds like an ad but Volvo has put together a package with Garmin that will be very hard to match for new builds.

From what I read on European based motorboat forums, Volvo parts appear to be difficult to source and expensive there as well, although parts price wise (certainly in non US countries), I’m not sure Cat and Cummins (Onan) are that far behind them?

It was mentioned above about the hi-tech/advanced Volvo propulsion systems, apparently making vessel handling problems a thing of the past for the new age, cashed up boater. From my observations, unfortunately common sense, understanding navigation protocols and weather effects aren’t included in this amazing boating bundle, and after the IPS’s have been rendered inoperable, for whatever reason, in regions of the country where Volvo support agents are thin on the ground, this is when reality hits home.

Our current boat has twin D6 370's built in 2007 with about 600 hours on them. We bought our 2008 model boat in 2018 when it had about 300 hours on the engines. I've had no issues with them since we owned it and have done all of the maintenance myself or with the assistance of a technician to assist/teach me. I've had no problem finding all typical maintenance parts online and didn't consider them terribly expensive so at this point I'm a proponent of Volvo inboards. I would say there is nothing special to look for during a survey beyond the normal stuff any mechanic would look for and have an oil sample drawn for analysis.

Search TF archives for a Beneteau with D6s that had excessive oil consumption. Both engines were replaced. Best I recall this was about 8 years ago.

Thanks for all the advice - very helpful! I have decided to pass on the boat.
Although I realize that every motor will have issues at some point, I am familiar with Yanmar and good boat mechanics are available to service Yanmar in my boating area.
Best regards,
Kevin

Back
Top Bottom