Vic Franck Automatic Bilge Pump and Alarm System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

docvchulek

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Fate's Fortune
Vessel Make
Monk/Vic Franck
I have a 1971 Monk trawler built by Vic Franck. One of the bilge pumps is no longer working correctly. Specifically, it will pump in manual mode but not in automatic mode.

The float works as designed, and when triggered, the light will come on to indicate that the float was activated, but the pump does not turn on. The light will turn off when I push the reset button at the helm.
I opened the control box and found that one of the relay switches is stuck in the middle and does not move when pressing the test button as the other four do.

Has anyone worked on this type of control system and knows what type of relay switches these are?

Thanks, Daron

Attachments

• IMG_7699.jpg
    IMG_7699.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7697.jpg
    IMG_7697.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 27
  • relays.jpg
    relays.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 35
Looks way more complicated than necessary. I would just replace it with something of current technology. I think it will be more reliable in the long run. Even if you can fix it, when will it break next?

I agree with Comodave,

Usually if you pull the relay out there will be some kind of numbers on it somewhere from which you can begin to source a replacement. If you find the replacement relays will you replace all of them and save the known good ones as spares?

Good Luck!

Yep, I would just replace the relay. But it does seam to be more complicated then needed.

Connecting a panel LED to the float switch would tell you if that pump is turning on. But why the relays? Unless like a windless the pumps are that big?

That’s a pretty comprehensive alarm panel, with open frame relays that are really dependable as a rule. If the relay coil is still pulling in, you can usually dress the contacts so they function properly.
As a first step, maybe try a little deoxit spray on the contacts and see if it does the trick. If it doesn’t, see if you can pull the relay out enough to get to the contacts and dress them with a bit of fine emery or something. Even a piece of card stock can sometimes clean them up. Be careful, it can be easy to dislodge the contact carrier off its hinge and then you’ll be fiddling a while to get it reset.

I love that old-school approach using components that can last 50 years or more.
If you are reluctant to disassemble it to troubleshoot, you can add a new relay
and connect the easily accessed wires from the faulty one. Piece of cake!

Thanks, everyone.

The system is nice as it lets you know if a pump went off while you are away. The relays are soldered in, so it is not easy to pull them out and replace them.

I like the idea of cleaning the contacts first and then if that does not work, moving the wires over to a new relay.

That’s a pretty comprehensive alarm panel, with open frame relays that are really dependable as a rule. If the relay coil is still pulling in, you can usually dress the contacts so they function properly.

As a first step, maybe try a little deoxit spray on the contacts and see if it does the trick. If it doesn’t, see if you can pull the relay out enough to get to the contacts and dress them with a bit of fine emery or something. Even a piece of card stock can sometimes clean them up. Be careful, it can be easy to dislodge the contact carrier off its hinge and then you’ll be fiddling a while to get it reset.

Since we are talking “old school” the old school taught me not to use emery cloth for electrical contacts as the grit is conductive. We were schooled to use sandpaper. The “old school” contact points are usually German silver which is quite soft and can be resurfaced.

Sounds like the relay that is “stuck in the middle” has a welded contact. If you can gently pry the contacts apart and dress them with fine sandpaper or a thin file you should be good for a long time.

Since we are talking “old school” the old school taught me not to use emery cloth for electrical contacts as the grit is conductive. We were schooled to use sandpaper. The “old school” contact points are usually German silver which is quite soft and can be resurfaced.

Sounds like the relay that is “stuck in the middle” has a welded contact. If you can gently pry the contacts apart and dress them with fine sandpaper or a thin file you should be good for a long time.

Good call on the emery. I didn’t think modern emery was still conductive though. I actually prefer a file, but sometimes they just don’t fit.
I always clean with deoxit and air after filing a contact anyway.

Back
Top Bottom