two power inlets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dallasnick

Hello All

can someone tell me why I have two power inlets, I bought a seahorse trawler and have two outside plug ins, im using one now and wanted to know what the second one is for, was thinking probably more amperage??

A second inlet should lead to a separate double pole main breaker and then other circuits.

Leading two inlet conductors to one main is asking for serious problems.

You need to track down all conductors and do a schematic. We need to know shore connection specs too. No one can help you without this basic information.

What did your surveyor say about this ?

Get a certified marine electrician to come out and do an audit of the boat and show you how everything electrical works. Should not take but an hour or two, well worth it.

Generally, 1 inlet will serve basic services, while the other will power secondary gear (washer/dryer, etc)

The breaker panel should be fed by multiple main breakers. These are usually arranged in columns with the main breaker at the top of the column. If you're entire AC panel is online, then I assume you are using the crossover connection which is usually reserved for the generator. This allows the DC power from inlet 1 to span both sets of breakers while on shore power.

This will require manual power management and is not desirable. If the shore power is a 30 amp circuit, you could draw too much for the single power cord or stanchion breaker.

Turn the crossover off, and connect the other inlet. This will probably only be an issue if you attempt to run all of the AC/Heat and water heater along with other large draw circuits at the same time.

Isn't Seahorse still in business?

https://oceantrawleryachts.com/about-seahorse-trawlers/

They should be able to supply you a manual and schematics. Any answers you get here are pure speculation. After you talk with them, I ditto you following up with your surveyor,. for a complete re-walk through of the boat, and getting an electrician on board to suss things out.

You didn't say if they were together or not. I have 2 inlets, but at opposite ends of the boat. I did this to be able to use the closest to the power pedestal. A rotary switch only allows one to work at a time.

Ted

You didn't say if they were together or not. I have 2 inlets, but at opposite ends of the boat. I did this to be able to use the closest to the power pedestal. A rotary switch only allows one to work at a time.

Ted

The same is true on Magic.

"I have 2 inlets, but at opposite ends of the boat. I did this to be able to use the closest to the power pedestal. A rotary switch only allows one to work at a time."

Some folks do this to have source for a "buddy plug", so when rafting boats only one noisemaker is required.

Ted
My OA 42 was wired the same way for the same reason.:thumb:

On my boat, I have one 120v 30amp and one 240v 50amp on each side of the boat. All 4 feeds go to a shore power management panel with interlocking breakers for the two 120v feed as well as the two 240v feed. With the interlocking breakers, I can only choose one 120v and one 240v at a time. This panel feed my main AC panel. On the main AC panel, I have other interlocking breakers that let me choose between 120v or 240v feed. So essentially, only one of the 4 shore power plug can supply the main AC panel.

"I have 2 inlets, but at opposite ends of the boat. I did this to be able to use the closest to the power pedestal. A rotary switch only allows one to work at a time."

Some folks do this to have source for a "buddy plug", so when rafting boats only one noisemaker is required.

I installed 30 amp buddy plug in my boat during the refit. I see it as helping the less fortunate. ;) A sailboat without generator I buddied with on lake Superior was able to run their reverse cycle heat among other things. The wife was so appreciative that she required I must join them for meals. It was a wonderful 4 or 5 days together at a remote dock at Isle Royale.

Extremely well received every time it's offered.

Ted

Our FuHwa had one 30amp 110v originally. A second 30amp 110v was added for the AC. They're independent, though, I think, grounded together.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom