Trawler wanna be... from Gore bay Ontario

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

K-Clive

Hi ALL Trawlers,

I have an offer in on this 1984 Grand Banks 36 Classic (fiberglass) with 140hp 6N140 American diesel with 1200hrs - it was re-engined sometime in it's past replacing the Ford Lehman 6N120.

The sea trial is scheduled for May 2024 plus survey, inspections, oil tests etc.

Does anyone here know this boat? It started life in USA, looks like it did a great loop and was once called Baby Grand. It currently belongs to Steven Holland in Midland and is on the hard, under a cover at Bayshore Marina.

If all goes well, it will be just in time for the Annual Grand Banks Rendezvous which, coincidentally, will be held in Gore Bay Aug 8th - 12th 2024.

The first thing I will be attending to are the teak decks which need to come off. Planning on refinishing with plain white awlgrip non-skid.

Hope to learn a lot on here, I am from a sailing background, currently in Perth W.A. racing sailboats in the cruising class.

Thanks in advance! Cheers Clive

Attachments

• TrilogySmall.JPG
    TrilogySmall.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 696small.JPG
    696small.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Welcome to TF. Hopefully someone will be able to answer your queries, etc. :flowers:

Greetings,
Welcome aboard, eh? IF the decks are leaking, have the surveyor pay VERY close attention to the condition steel fuel tanks.
Appears the windows are not leaking (no stains-unless the area below the windows has been re-done).
Also keep in mind that if the core material is wet, further damage has been done over the winter freeze/thaw cycles.

She does look as if she needs some TLC.

Unless you are planning to replace the deck core material, as well, (NOT a project for the faint hearted) it may be more cost effective to simply coat the existing teak decks to seal and waterproof (truck bed liner?).
Core replacement is not terribly complicated or atrociously expensive and there are several threads on TF detailing the procedure BUT it IS time consuming and messy. You could be hard pressed to be finished by August.

The above is my OPINION only.

Last edited:
Welcome. No knowledge of the boat, sorry. None of my business, but I'm curious about having an agreement in place now that has a six month window to sign off on sea trial. I know some brokers that strongly discourage sellers from entering into such agreements.

Perth is more conductive to boating right now, but Gore Bay is one of my favorite summer stops. If I start looking for a permanent home port for my trawler it'll be one of the top contenders. Hope it all works out for you. I think you'll find a wealth of knowledge here on those boats.

No knowledge of the particular boat in question. Yachtworld listing here: https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1984-grand-banks-36-classic-8464132/
Looks like a great boat at that price. The decks look a bit wonky, but if they are not leaking to the interior, not sure that I would take the teak off. Covering the teak with truck bed liner makes it unsellable to some people (well, me!) Removed teak and fiberglassed would be fine but lots of work and/or $$$. I would try a good scrub, maybe two part teak cleaner/brightener, apply Boracol, address bad seams with thiokol and re-set bungs as required. Good luck!
Regards,
Scott

Thanks for the input!

The agreement is very long due to Canadian winter...
I am returning to Canada in May and the boat will be back the water mid-May.

The teak is actually coming off the boat now, in various areas, it just lifts up. Gravity is keeping it in place. This is why I am not considering a cleanup vs removal.

I realize this is a project and there are many steps involved, I have no job (retired) no house (sold) and I am free to take on the work.
Noboy said it would be easy and I'm not shy.
The price reflects work required and that is something I can do now I don't have other responsibilities.

Thanks and looking forward to some boating in Manitoulin.

Cheers Clive

Last edited:
Congratulations on the boat! Sorry I can’t help with history.

Wanted to say hello as I have many fond memories of Gore Bay boating as a kid, chartering at CYC North as an adult, and flying my plane over there from Sault Ste. Marie, MI. Great boating area you have!

Best Wishes

Definitely worthy of the effort on your part. Those that don't have the time or ability to do the work themselves miss great opportunities like this. Not a huge expense to do the decks but significant time, but you have that! I enjoy working on projects like this but not everyone does, the self satisfaction and knowing you saved a great boat is pretty cool. Enjoy!

Trawler wanna be

Thanks for the input!

The agreement is very long due to Canadian winter...
I am returning to Canada in May and the boat will be back the water mid-May.

The teak is actually coming off the boat now, in various areas, it just lifts up. Gravity is keeping it in place. This is why I am not considering a cleanup vs removal.

I realize this is a project and there are many steps involved, I have no job (retired) no house (sold) and I am free to take on the work.
Nobody said it would be easy and I'm not shy.
The price reflects work required and that is something I can do now I don't have other responsibilities.

Thanks and looking forward to some boating in Manitoulin.

Cheers Clive

I am just past a similar position you are, except I already bought an Albin trawler 2 years ago, and have spent un-accountable enjoyable hours cleaning, repairing, replacing, re-wiring, staining, and re-building both inside and out.
The price I paid made it worthwhile and the satisfaction I gave myself, and the smiles I've received from others, have made it an experience I'll treasure forever. I say go for it if everything checks out. I am 76 years old and far from finished yet.

Congratulations on your find. I looked at this boat as well and to me it is more of a project than can be determined from the pictures. In view of that and the length of time it's been on the market, I hope you got it for a good price.

The boat photo appearing in the OP's post #1 appears identical to that in the YachtWorld listing provided by Scott post in #6, right down to the red Wilderness Systems kayak. However, the boat described in the YW listing isn't the same as Trilogy, and indeed, the photos in the listing appear to be of two different GBs. For example, the control head on the flybridge is for a single, but the photo of the lower station is of dual controls for twin engines. I could only locate the one engine in the photos of the engine compartment.

The broker's text describes a door from the salon aft of the galley, opening onto the port side deck, but that is absent in the photos. If there has ever been a GB 36' with a port-side door, I don't remember it. On a GB 36, such a thing would take up most of the remaining deckhouse aft of the galley. The broker also mentions a single port-side berth in the master stateroom, but the photos show a desk.

I guess it doesn't matter. "Trilogy" (if that is her name) and Clive are lucky to have found each other. Older GBs such as this one (or those two) deserve a loving restoration. I hope Clive will post more about his deck project.

Clive,
Welcome to the Trawler Forum. Lots of knowledge and good advice here. I should know as I have asked more questions than I have answered.
And welcome to the Great Lakes Grand Banks Association. I am a member also and attended the last Rendezvous in Sister Bay WI. Toured several 36's there. You will like it, that is, if sea trial is successful. With luck we will meet in Gore Bay in August.

Dual controls on a single engine?

Thanks everyone, I have signed up for the Rendezvous already - I have a surveyor coming in spring and hoping all this works out - somewhat according to plan.

I will update as things progress...

Yes this one does not have a port side door.
The 36GB in Gore Bay I am familiar with "Prince Arthur" has a port side door.

The funky control setup is for an emergency power up that utilizes belts that drive the prop from the genset. That is why dual controls for a single engine - the belts are off in normal operation and installed for using the generator. Sort of a limp home mode that can be arranged if needed.

Attachments

• 20231120_121514.jpg
    20231120_121514.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 19
The funky control setup is for an emergency power up that utilizes belts that drive the prop from the genset. That is why dual controls for a single engine - the belts are off in normal operation and installed for using the generator. Sort of a limp home mode that can be arranged if needed.

Wow - that is cool and indeed funky. Helps explain why the engine room photos in the broker's listing were kind of hard to understand. Every boat is a collection of stories, isn't it? I chose not to even ask about what is apparently a cast metal ornament attached to the upper console in front of the GPS / chart plotter. Looking forward to updates!

One issue that those from warm climates don't often appreciate is freezing weather. If any core material is wet, freezing weather can really take a toll. Also, any plans for restoration should include a heated building. Gore Bay is a below freezing area for about 6 months.

I'll catch a lot of flak here but I'm used to it.

I wouldn't bother with a survey, the boat should sell for around $30,000. Just make sure you check the fuel tanks.

pete

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom