Trawler fest question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Gratitude
Vessel Make
Chaparral 330
As we enter our after-work phase of life, we have an interest in a trawler style for our next boat (and that's why I'm here). The Grand Banks EU model has caught our eye (a used model of course) something in the 40 - 47' range. Where can one go to view some of the GB boats in person? Is there a boat show or trawler fest you would recommend in 2022 to see these GB trawlers and other trawlers. Thanks for your thoughts!

Maryland has a high concentration of Trawlers, Annapolis, Kent Narrows, etc...
Look on the Web and search for the boats you prefer and go take a look. Unfortunately your location makes it challenging but not impossible. GB has some great boats, look for the features that you prefer. Out neighbor had a GB 46 for only 1 season. The wide walk around decks made the inside very narrow and they were both larger people and it did not work for them. Stepping on a few different boats will give you the right perspective

I have not been to a TrawlerFest in a long time. The first ones we went to were great, good classes and a lot of private boats to crawl through. The last one we went to was much more commercial and not as appealing. Maybe they are better now. Maybe take a week and travel to the Chesapeake Bay area and look at boats. Also go to marinas and walk the docks talking to boat owners. Most are happy to show off their boats. Make a list of must haves, nice to haves and must not haves to start your search. Good luck and have fun.

The last two Trawlerfests I've been to on the Bay did not have a large selection of boats to tour. There are some, but it is not like a typical boat show (maybe 2 dozen vs. 200). The number of "booth" vendors was pretty low too. One show was pre-covid and one was last summer. Not much of a difference really. I think the appeal of Trawlerfest is more the seminars than the boats on display.

These days the problem with "walking the docks" is actually getting out on them. Lots of places they are behind locked gates.

Some of the TrawlerFest events were canceled this year. I had tickets to the one in Newport that was canceled. They said they just could not round up enough boats to do it. Everyone's inventory was sold down. No boats to show.

I did go to the Newport Boat Show, which is different. The inventory of boats interesting to me was pretty thin. The few interesting ones had LOOOG lines. Interested people, with too little to look at.

I thought about Trawlerfest Baltimore. But a) its in Baltimore, and anyone has their work cut out to talk me into going there, and b) the promo website seemed as if inventory was going to be really sparse. No point.

Went to Baltimore trawlerfest because I live in driving distance...was the first and probably last I will go to, but I met a broker there that helped me find the boat I was looking for. All the boats there were 500k plus except for a couple small trailer boats. Very few boats to see. Other owners we met walking docks were reluctant to allow strangers on their boat...covid was the excuse. Can't blame them I guess. Tough time to be boat shopping...you have to be able to act fast and know what you want. Best of luck!

Back in the day TrawlerFest would have individuals bring their own boats for people to tour. Much better than new boats since most people can’t afford the new ones. But that idea seems to have gone by the wayside.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom