Transom LED Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aussie Mike

Vessel Name
ShipShape
Vessel Make
Clipper 30
Hi All

I have a 1977 Clipper and looking to install some LED lighting to illuminate the stern at night. I don't really want to drill holes into the boat so I was thinking of mounting some lights underneath the teak swim platform (see pics).
Has anyone done this and would like to share some pics, tips etc or could suggest what the best kind of lighting to install in teak.

Is strip lighting an option?
Any assistance is greatly appreciated

Cheers Mike

Attachments

• DSC02282.jpg
    DSC02282.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_9384.jpg
    IMG_9384.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 37
You mean mounted to the bottom of the swim platform? How would you run the wires without drilling holes somewhere? Interesting idea, and I'm curious to see suggestions.

Greg.

You mean mounted to the bottom of the swim platform? How would you run the wires without drilling holes somewhere? Interesting idea, and I'm curious to see suggestions.

Greg.
Thanks for your comment Greg

Yes I'm tossing up whether to install some screw on LED lights in a casing
https://www.chsmith.com.au/Products/Trailerboat-Underwater-LED-Lights.html

or apply/stick several strips of IP68 rated waterproof LED's say 6ft long underneath the swim platform.

https://rmscomponents.com.au/shop/led-lighting/led-str-5050-60-12v-blu-2-5m-b/

There is already a small hole in the stern which provides power to the depth sounder/speed unit so i could probably use that as an access point for power.

Just can't find anything or anyone who's done something similar on the web.

I have thru hull lights, so not quite the question you are asking.

But if you have a place to run the wiring that isnt ugly, then IP68 rated (or whatever the best rating is) lights would be a simple choice. Just assume in your ‘cost modelling’ that you will need to replace them every couple of years I think? I know the rating says the seawater wont get in, but experience suggests otherwise maybe...?

(As a boy we used a clipper 34 on the Hawkesbury in Sydney. A real affinity there).

Hamish.

Back
Top Bottom