Trailerable Trawler List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jbo_c

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Retreat
Vessel Make
Self designed/built
New member here. I’m beginning to be in the market for a trailerable trawler, so I’m first looking for a list of models to consider.

Here are my demands:
1. Trailerable- to be towed with F250. Don’t want to push the limits here. I realize the more of a pain it is to tow/launch the less we are likely to use it.
2. Designed for low power- 5-7knots is fine for us. We’re definitely pokey-boat people.
3. Per the above, would like a small diesel(preferred) or small high thrust outboard.
4. Comfortable in (minimally) rough water- crowded bay, ICW, not looking for a blue water boat by any stretch, but don’t want to be concerned if the water’s not glassy. (I have a boat for that.)
5. Budget < 50,000 preferably a decent amount less
6. Timeline is 2-5 years, but would possibly go ahead and buy if a great deal came along.

Plan of use::
1. Long weekends on local lakes.
2. River cruising weekends(Maybe Tenn-Tom if current/speed allow)
3. Longer stays on planned routes with day stops.
4. Selected ICW cruises of moderate duration

Note: I am capable and willing to do my own repairs and maintenance, but would like the boat I buy to be at least usable at purchase.

Makes/models in current consideration and comments:
Albin 25 - probably too small but otherwise seems to fit the bill.
Albin 27 - would like to get on one for a look see.
Nimble Nomad/Wanderer/29 - all seem like good candidates, Nomad may be a tad small, but workable
Pathfinder 29- know nothing about it
Prairie 29 - know nothing about it
Roughwater 29- know nothing about it
Marine Trader 34 - probably pushing the envelope on the trailerable requirement. It’s trailerable, but I can see it being enough pain hauling, launching, and retrieving that I wouldn’t use it much.

What other boats should be in contention given my use plan and requirements?

Oh, and since I’m inland, I’ve never seen any of these and don’t have a lot of prospects to without a drive to the coast. :)

Thanks for your feedback.

Jbo

Would add Rosborough 265 to your list.

Peter Screenshot_20230925_101434_DuckDuckGo.jpg

With a smaller boat an outboard may be the way to go since it will leave you more room in the boat. No way would I consider towing a 34’ trawler regularly with an F250.

You mentioned trailering a marine trader 34.

Does anyone have a line on anyone having done so?

Not being snarky, genuinely curious. I’m in a similar position as the OP.

Thank you in advance.

I would add the C-Dory pilot house style boats, on the smaller end but when it comes to trailering regularly, especially longer distances and less familar ramps, it is easier to stay on the smaller side. I have never heard of anyone trailering something as substantial as a Marine Trader on a regular basis, sounds like a massive challenge in permiting and logistics.

You mentioned trailering a marine trader 34.

Does anyone have a line on anyone having done so?

Not being snarky, genuinely curious. I’m in a similar position as the OP.

Thank you in advance.
MT/CHB 34 has to weigh at least 20k lbs and close to 12-feet wide, well over the 8.5 ft width before permits are needed for trailering. Unless I'm mistaken, they all have flybridges so keeping the load under 13.5' high may be difficult.

I have a mental image of trying to back one down a launch ramp that would have to be pretty steep in order to float the boat off the trailer. What could possibly go wrong?

Peter

Haha. I agree with all the comments on the MT34. Really only made the list because I found more than a few pictures of them on trailers, so at least technically it’s doable.

Really the Nimbles and Albins are about where I expect to end up unless somebody throws in something I haven’t seen.

I am curious about the real trailerability of the three 29s I mentioned. (Maybe they’re really akin to the MT34 situation.)

The Rosboroughs and C-Dories were culled from the list because they weren’t designed or generally equipped with small power and running the engines always at essentially idle isn’t great for them. Not to mention, the Rosboroughs are way past my current budget. Though I do like them both as trailerable cabin boats(more so the Rs).

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Jbo

Add the Atlas Acadia 25 to your list. Comes in a diesel inboard or a gas outboard. My avatar to the left shows their 23’ version.

Having used the 23’er to do exactly what you describe, I think any of the 25’ers listed above will work fine for you.

Definitely not the Prairie 29 or similar. Much heavier and requires an over width permit to legally tow.

David

I the Acadia 25 was on my list at one point(probably as a result of one of your posts here). I’ll have to look again and see why it slipped off.

Thanks.

Jbo

Cutwater 28 or 26 might work for you. They were built to be trailerable.

-martin

Cutwater 26 is nice, but double to triple my budget at the moment. :)

Jbo

New member here. I’m beginning to be in the market for a trailerable trawler, so I’m first looking for a list of models to consider....................... :)
Thanks for your feedback.
Jbo

Strongly suggest you look at the facebook group "Trailer Trawlers". See you there.

Attachments

• image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 49
Good recommendation on the trailer-trawler FB group. I’m already there.

Thanks.

Jbo

Yeah. A little more research easily rules out the Prairie 29. Can’t find anything on a Pathfinder 29 but the search also pulls up Prairie 29, so maybe was an overlap/typo on my part.

Just still out on the Roughwater 29, though doubtful. There is a pic on this forum of one on a trailer, but like the MT34, that may not mean it’s really trailerable.

Jbo

I'll second the Rosborough. Met a gentleman last year on one crusing solo. Had a nice chat and quick walk through of the boat. It will be on my short list when and if I start solo crusing.

You won't hurt a big four-stroke outboard by running it at low rpm's for hours at a time. Don't let that be the deciding factor.

Fisherman do it nearly every time out. I run my center console at near idle speed (when slow trolling) or at 1500 rpm when trolling at 7 knots and have been doing so for 30 years. I've never heard any outboard guy say that it was bad for the engine.

Even with the old two smokes, hours of slow trolling might foul the plugs slightly, but they'd clear within a couple of minutes when you got back on the throttle.

You won't hurt a big four-stroke outboard by running it at low rpm's for hours at a time. Don't let that be the deciding factor.

Fisherman do it nearly every time out. I run my center console at near idle speed (when slow trolling) or at 1500 rpm when trolling at 7 knots and have been doing so for 30 years. I've never heard any outboard guy say that it was bad for the engine.

Even with the old two smokes, hours of slow trolling might foul the plugs slightly, but they'd clear within a couple of minutes when you got back on the throttle.

:thumb: Yes, on my Atlas Pompano 23 with a 70 hp 4 stroke Yamaha, running slow for an extended period was no problem. But if I wanted to go 15 mph I could. Outboards have come a long way!

And FWIW, at 15 mph, I was only burning 5 gph.

David

As far as the Marine Trader 34, it books at 17,000. Add 300 gallons of diesel at 2,130 and 150 gallons of water at 1,251 and the total of 20,381 and that doesn’t include any equipment or a trailer weight, probably in excess of 2,000 pounds . Realistically it would be close to 25,000 going down the road. I have towed that weight with a pickup but I had an F350 dually with a diesel. The one ton has significantly larger brakes and that is critical when you try to stop that kind of weight. I had an F250 before the one ton and there were lots of stop lights that I was pushed through when towing a large boat, and nothing near this big…. And then you get into the oversize part of the deal. The beam is 11’9”, oversize. But that isn’t the big and difficult part of the oversize, the height has to be well over 13’6” even without the trailer height. Unless you are planning on removing the flybridge every time you want to trailer the boat. If it was a one time move to relocate the boat, maybe but still not with an F250.

OK. I’ve always understood idling wasn’t good for them. Even at that, though, all my old two strokes use about the same amount of fuel at idle as at 3/4 throttle. Will admit ZERO four stroke experience. I like the old stuff. Do look forward to getting a modern 4S Bigfoot for the houseboat I’m building, though.

Still and all, seems goofy to pay for and run a 150 when what I want is a 15. :)

I do appreciate the feedback. (And my list is getting smaller.)

Jbo

Ranger Tug 21 with diesel is cute and in your price range.

Last edited:
I like the RT21. Had not seen that one in the Ranger line. It is a nice salty looking boat. That 30 horse diesel would sure fit my bill too.

Wish it had more of a separate cabin area for the bed, but love that it’s got more open deck space. Everything is a trade off.

Thanks. That one is definitely going on the list.

Jbo

If you want small diesel, the Albin has lots of Scandinavian cousins. There are a few Windy 26 trawlers around Eastern Canada. I also saw a Sisu 22 for sale recently that had a 30 hp yanmar and looked really sweet. Can't find the ad, so guess it sold.

1990 Nimble Nomad

Hello, I am planning to sell my Nimble Nomad next spring if you are interested. It has been a great boat with lots of accessories. It is hull #1, so that makes it kind of special. It is in great shape with a full custom cover, semi-custom aluminum trailer, custom bimini, Magna grill, 2017 50hp. Suzuki outboard.

Paul

Attachments

• 65869283511__28DDED84-ECA2-447D-AA62-AB7DA620E47C.fullsizerender.jpg
    65869283511__28DDED84-ECA2-447D-AA62-AB7DA620E47C.fullsizerender.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0440.jpg
    IMG_0440.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0438.jpg
    IMG_0438.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 52
Will you be traveling by yourself, with spouse, kids, dogs, etc?

Which Gainsville ?

How about a 1991 Carver 28 ?
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1991-carver-28-sedan-8840867/

How cold do you want to be comfortable ? Will you be boating if its 40 degrees ? 30 ?

Do you need your helm deck to be enclosed ? ( if not you could maybe add a SeaRay Sundancer to your list)...very popular boats.

Up in my area ( Massachusetts ) Parker boats are pretty common with the fishermen and have a reputation for being a very solid and seaworthy boats.

If the only demerit for C-Dory is that they are overpowered, you could:

1. Suck it up and realize you may not be able to get the perfect boat at the perfect time.
2. Sell the used big engine that comes with it, and install a smaller one with the proceeds.
3. Set it up with a kicker engine if it is not already ( many are ) and just use the kicker. I suspect that if you have the power to do 15-20 knots, you will find yourself at that speed more often than you think you will.

Jeff: would be very interested in hearing about more Scandinavian cousins of Albin. Sisu is in the running, for sure. Just don’t see many listed. Will look into the Windy. Other names to research?

Pkempin: Next year is probably a little soon for me as I’ll be finishing my self design build, but I’ll definitely be watching for it. Could work out.

Benthic2: Lake Lanier is Gainesville, Georgia. Limiting my search to trailerable and trailer launchable, so that Carver while nice is surely out.

Cruising will be two. Lower temp limit will be 40s. I would like this helm to be enclosed- even if it’s just canvas. My other boat is fully open.

I had a center console for 10 years that maybe spent an hour at planing speeds, so I’m very comfortable that low power/hull speed is plenty for me. My wife and I are just wired for life in the slow lane. :)

Jbo

Trailerable Trawler

It looks like you are in Gainesville, if you haven't been on a Nomad and want to just take a look, you are welcome to check out mine. I am in Melbourne Beach, but also plan some cruising on the St. Johns river when things cool off.

Regards, Paul

That Windy 26 looks about perfect!!! but the article I found said only 19 made it to North America(in the 70s). I reckon my odds of finding one may be slim at best. :)

Maybe they had other trailerable models that got imported in bigger numbers. I’ll keep looking.

Thanks for that one!! My wife is 100% “on-board” if we found one of those at the right time.

Jbo

Last edited:
Contrary to one or 2 responses an F-250 diesel or any 3/4 ton pulling a dual axle trailer will suit your purposes just fine for a trailer trawler. Oh by the way, trailers have brakes! Mine are electric and will stop my 8k lb rig just fine without putting a foot on the pedal. I live in north central Florida. I tow this boat to NW Michigan in the summer and the Keys in the winter. Even plan to scoot over to the Bahamas. We stay in campgrounds while towing and live aboard when launched. This is not a true live aboard trawler as most have here but suits our checkbook and life style. Just don't have the cajones to cut the cord on this stick and brick life.

Is your home port Gainesville FL? I live about 30 miles east in Melrose. If you want to look at my trailer trawler PM me and we can set something up.

Appreciate the offer, but I’m in Gainesville, Ga, not Florida.

What boat are you hauling?

Jbo

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom