Trailer Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wattsup

Vessel Name
Somewhere
Vessel Make
1975 Fales Navigator 32
Is there such a thing as a trailerable trawler? 27-30' range.

Yes, but trailering will require overwidth permits. And it will take a pretty heavy truck, preferably with duallies to pull it.

David

Have a look at the 28’ Ranger Tugs. They have the 8’ beam needed.

Yes, but trailering will require overwidth permits. And it will take a pretty heavy truck, preferably with duallies to pull it.

David
Overwidth annual permits are available from some states. Just search your DOT for 'over dimensional'...a heckuva lot there so read closely....usually a sub heading for 'transport of personal boat'.
One note, it will require $2mil liability insurance...so if needed explore an umbrella to bump you up.

Look at Rosborough "Pocket Trawlers." They are now making "RHIB Trawlers" instead, but I haven't seen any of those in person so I can't comment. The pocket trawlers seemed like a pretty good compromise.

I just checked out the Rosborough RHIB. Neat boat.

David

Here are some good articles and links, although these really are more like powerboats. When I think of Trawler I think of displacement speeds? But I guess the word Trawler has been expanded over the years.

Here's a link to a thread on TF, where I did find the Nimble Nomad. That to me is more like a Trawler.

BTW, I just had a trailer made for my boat, had it overbuilt. Got sick and tired of half arsed truckers brining crap trailers that did not work. Also, I have a trailer whenever I need it, can move the boat, and work on it out of the water etc.

If you need one made, there is a company in West Columbia SC that made this especially for the Fairchild Scout, I think they have made four- Mine cost around $17,500 for my 30 foot boat. You could get one lest costly and I suppose you could pay more. They could make one for just about any boat.

Here is an example of what it might look like (pre-Hinckley refurbishment). It is a chore for me moving a boat like this, so I normally hire a company to do the moving, but it cost far less. An example is from Savannah to Lake Keowee, roughly $800.00. So, if the boat you find does not have one, don't hesitate to have one built.

BTW if anyone is looking for a true project boat, that Scout on the other side of the camper can probably be practically picked up for nothing. It is a total project, owner has ill health, and has been sitting for years, Hinckley Savannah.

Attachments

• 20230428_141300.jpg
    20230428_141300.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230503_172248.jpg
    20230503_172248.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230503_172409.jpg
    20230503_172409.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230504_130240.jpg
    20230504_130240.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 20

David
Au contraire shipmate! Most trailer trawlers have less than a 9' beam. That is why they are called "trailer trawlers". I own one at 28' 8'beam. I am looking at it now, as I type, sitting on its trailer. There is a group on facebook named Trailer Trawlers. The OP should have a look at it. Outstanding resource. I pull mine with a Ford F-250 diesel. The boat and trailer weigh around 6500 lbs. I bought it in Michigan and pulled it 1100 miles down the interstate to Florida sans permits at a steady 65 mph. The diesel purred at 11.5 mpg. Easy peasy.

Attachments

• Desk View 220405.jpeg
    Desk View 220405.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom